SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 28, 2011, 07:42 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Woo hoo!! Flew the hell out of my Beast this morning. I'm starting to get really comfortable with this plane and now I'm starting to experiment a bit more.

First of all - I think I'm starting to hone in on my knife edge issue. I think my elevator was improperly trimmed. I think I've still got a touch of work to do but it's much better now and I pulled off some great knife edge circuits today. I also had a few really fast and pretty KE loops! Compared to my Sukhoi XP this thing will KE loop like a maniac!!

Also got in a few inverted circuits. I don't know why but I was always nervous to go inverted with this plane even though I can do inverted circuits all day long with both the UM-T28 and it's bigger brother. But whatever - I got over that fear now!

I just can't say enough good things about my Beast - I love this little plane! Especially with the 5043 prop... awesome!

T,

Good job!

We are spoiled to have an ultra-micro that's this good.

I'm still having excellent Sbach dreams.

Ever considered an entire inverted Beast flight?

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2011, 08:05 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,750 Posts
Supposed to be decent wx tomorrow, with single-digit winds. It's been three weeks since I had a nice, long outdoor flying session. I plan to get in some serious stick time...

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old May 28, 2011, 08:20 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,572 Posts
Joel,

Sounds like your lack of stick time has squashed your KICS!

Good winds,

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old May 28, 2011, 09:34 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Joel,

Sounds like your lack of stick time has squashed your KICS!

Good winds,

rc
RC,

Maybe a little. But every time I think about the SBach, the I can feel the ol' KICS kicking in again!

Gonna get up early tomorrow & head to the field....

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old May 29, 2011, 11:07 AM
3D and slope Pilot in training
Port Elizabeth South Africa
Joined Nov 2010
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
I think so. Are you having trouble with it? This thing's on rails and has tons of power and flies fast and goes vertical out-of-sight and goes slow and lands easy and, and, and...

You do have to fly it, though. I can't take my hands off the sticks because it just goes where you point it. It doesn't recover to straight and level if you stop paying attention to it. But for this type of airplane, this is a GOOD thing!
I've had a few flights with mine but they all felt pretty much out of control. I do not enjoy it at all.

I do fly a whole range of other planes quite well so its not a lack of skill.
Gotlieb is offline Find More Posts by Gotlieb
Old May 29, 2011, 11:12 AM
3D and slope Pilot in training
Port Elizabeth South Africa
Joined Nov 2010
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
I believe that you are the first two who have posted this. Everyone I know who owns one says that it is the best-flying UM plane ever - and that it flies better than many of their larger ships.

First off, measure the CG on your airframe & adjust it - per the instructions. A small variability in foam density can cause shifts in CG at this scale - and a 1mm shift in CG is very noticeable on this airframe. As is true with all aircraft - if the CG is off, it won't fly as designed.

With the CG at the 'sweet spot' (neutral-handling point) my two Beasts are completely uncoupled. They do exactly what I tell them to do - nothing more, nothing less. Properly trimmed - the UMX Beast excels at KE loops, lomcevaks & other tumbling maneuvers, flat-spins, and precision aerobatic maneuvers. With a Hyperion 180 2s pack & a 5043 prop, thrust is up a whopping 30% over stock - for a 2:1 thrust-to-weight!

Joel
Ok it seems like CG may be the problem. I will whip the manual out and try again.

As for now i will use it as decoration because she is so pretty.
Gotlieb is offline Find More Posts by Gotlieb
Old May 29, 2011, 11:51 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlieb View Post
As for now i will use it as decoration because she is so pretty.
Well, I should have done that with mine as well! I recently got a aileron servo that was acting up. Nothing stuck in the gear (smooth action, and I looked with a magnifying glass, and clean contact (cleaned it up). So I kept flying.... End result was quite a demolition derby. When I think the problem is gone, it's coming back to haunt me. I have a few of those crashes on tape, so enjoy. (not for the faint of heart! ). Lot's of creases on the wings now, but so far, the Beast is way more crash resistant than I thought. The spinner is starting to look bad!

E-Flite Beast crashes (stuck servo) (0 min 45 sec)
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Last edited by RealGambler; May 29, 2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old May 29, 2011, 11:57 AM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,496 Posts
Ouch!
NwRcFlight is offline Find More Posts by NwRcFlight
Old May 29, 2011, 12:28 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlieb View Post
I've had a few flights with mine but they all felt pretty much out of control. I do not enjoy it at all.

I do fly a whole range of other planes quite well so its not a lack of skill.
Sounds like you have something wrong for sure. I am new to this stuff and have no problem of this sort with the Beast. I can't do the fancy stuff, but just for loops and rolls and some vertical, but mild stuff, it is a pussy cat. Nothing out of control on it for sure. I have never tried checking cg on mine and not particularly careful where I put the battery except it seems that I put it further forward than most folks here do. Have you tried moving the battery forward? I run mine somewhere near half in and half out of the fuselage part. You do have some expo set in don't you? Mine is set by the manual. I fly over grass and hand launch and when I throw it straight I believe it would fly straight away till out of sight 5-6 foot off the ground if I didn't touch the controls.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old May 29, 2011, 02:13 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,750 Posts
Hatcam - flying the UMX Beast in my yard - torque-rolls, slow-flight, spot-landing

Finally, a nearly windless day!

I've been flying up a storm in the backyard since about 7 AM!

I decided to shoot some Beast video with my #3 keychain cam attached to my hat. Nothin' fancy - just some lazy flying around my yard - with a few torque-rolls thrown in, and a spot landing at the end. I cut the flight short, as it was starting to rain. Went long by a couple of feet on the landing. I'll have to try that again after the showers pass....

Hatcam - flying the UMX Beast in my yard - aerobatics, slow-flight, torque-rolls (5 min 10 sec)

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old May 29, 2011, 02:23 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Well, I should have done that with mine as well! I recently got a aileron servo that was acting up. Nothing stuck in the gear (smooth action, and I looked with a magnifying glass, and clean contact (cleaned it up). So I kept flying.... End result was quite a demolition derby. When I think the problem is gone, it's coming back to haunt me. I have a few of those crashes on tape, so enjoy. (not for the faint of heart! ). Lot's of creases on the wings now, but so far, the Beast is way more crash resistant than I thought. The spinner is starting to look bad!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI4m6q2lV8M
RG,

Ouch!

One time, the elevator on Beast #2 locked-up on me while I was doing a bunch of inverted flat-spins. Couldn't pull out or do a damn thing about it. Just watched her auger-in. Damage wasn't as bad as I had expected. Bunged-up spinner, partially torn lower port wing, and a dislocated cabane-strut brace on the upper port wing. With a bit of Zap Goo glue, she was almost as good as new!

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old May 29, 2011, 03:22 PM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,195 Posts
A stuck servo can be caused by the servo arm (and its carrier) jamming up against the end of the rack frame when the transmitter stick commands extreme throw. I found this to be true of the rudder servo on my Vapor brick. On full left, the servo would move to the end of the rack and jam.

The solution was to set the travel limit for that left throw at the transmitter, lowering the throw travel until the left rudder command moved the servo arm only a millimeter or so from the end of travel. No more problem.

This can be done on a DX6i, DX7, DX8, or similar computer transmitter. If you are using the RTF transmitter, or a DX5e, you don't have the option to set the travel limit.

Jim R.
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old May 29, 2011, 05:42 PM
USA, MO, O'Fallon
Joined Dec 2003
2,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkYakRC View Post
Anyone;
Does the real plane fly alot like the RealFlight model?
Mine does.

Hey, Alucard, would you say that, On Reflection, your Beast is a Giant for a Day?
martimer is offline Find More Posts by martimer
RCG Plus Member
Old May 29, 2011, 05:51 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRuggiero View Post
The solution was to set the travel limit for that left throw at the transmitter, lowering the throw travel until the left rudder command moved the servo arm only a millimeter or so from the end of travel. No more problem.
Well, thanks for the reminder, since I had already set the travel down to 90% and forgot about it. I'll put it back to 100%. I'm currently down to my last solution: I pulled the servo out, took it apart and cleaned the resistive strip (and looked at the contact brush with a magnifying glass to make sure they were ok) The operation went much better than expected (I was sure it would be hard to pull one of those servo out, but it wasn't that bad). Now waiting for another windless day. Trust me, I had done everything else before. As usual, it would not fail on my bench. I guess next step will be to replace the whole servo, that's if my Beast can survive another crash!

Now after all that, guess what I did... I ordered one of those USB electronic microscope, so next time I have to look at those gears, or tiny brushes, I'll be able to zoom them from 10X to 200X if I have too!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old May 29, 2011, 06:18 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Finally, a nearly windless day!

I've been flying up a storm in the backyard since about 7 AM!

I decided to shoot some Beast video with my #3 keychain cam attached to my hat. Nothin' fancy - just some lazy flying around my yard - with a few torque-rolls thrown in, and a spot landing at the end. I cut the flight short, as it was starting to rain. Went long by a couple of feet on the landing. I'll have to try that again after the showers pass....

Joel
Sweet flying Joel!! How do you dp those torque rolls? Those look great. Also enjoyed the big loop with a roll at the top. I was doing those the other day. Love those.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm