SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 26, 2010, 03:56 PM
Pastor of Muppets \m/
United States, TX, Odessa
Joined Mar 2010
967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by interplanet View Post
I think they are more inspired by the real thing than anything else.

i want a scale rubber chicken butt on my wing at this price point HH! Nice pic interplanet. Oh and a 3-blade prop would be cool too.
major.monogram is offline Find More Posts by major.monogram
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2010, 04:17 PM
Park Stormer
United States, NJ, Brooklawn
Joined Jul 2008
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by major.monogram View Post
I wouldn't say it is revolutionary as much as I would say it is god business. Keeping the hobby expensive and difficult doesn't make much sense to anybody but purists. It's not like HH is doing us a favor by making these planes affordable. It is a mutual relationship.

At any rate this thing looks incredible and i am dying to know if there is going to be a PZ version in a little bigger size. I realize if I really wanted bigger it is already available but I think i need a little smaller than the O.G. beast.
Amen.

I think a lot of the purist loose site of how difficult it is to put together a power plant, (mixing ESCs to motors to props), getting CG perfect, before even mentioning the building process and all the frustration that entails.

It might seem like only a handful of hours would go into making something like the beast from scratch, but the reality is that each project a modeler builds uses skills they have acquired over their time in the hobby. Some of us would rather skip that whole "years of building experience" thing, and get right to flying something fun.
AggressorBLUE is offline Find More Posts by AggressorBLUE
Old Aug 26, 2010, 04:25 PM
We Do It With FRQZ
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Aug 2009
2,136 Posts
Quote:
I think they are more inspired by the real thing than anything else.
i swear to god they designed this around the suhkoi they had to have done this
dkintx is offline Find More Posts by dkintx
Old Aug 26, 2010, 04:28 PM
Pastor of Muppets \m/
Joined Mar 2010
967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkintx View Post
From the official full scale website: http://www.beastairshows.com/web/index.php

"The Beast is a highly modified design with it’s roots stemming from the Pitts Model 12 biplane. While most Model 12 aircraft have 2 seats, the Beast has been modified to be a single place aircraft. This reduced the weight of the basic aircraft substantially, and eliminated some of the drag associated with the two-place canopy."

and then from a website about the Pitts Model 12: http://www.pittsmodel12.com/history.php

1970 - 1989 "After seeing the new control system designs on aircraft such as the SU-26, Curtis starts to collect ideas for a possible new design utilizing some of this technology.
Several people witness Curtis as he measures an SU-26 aileron during a world contest."

It looks like the Sukhoi Su-26 gave at least some inspiration to the Pitts Model 12.

What a great time we live in. Now when people say things like: 'We only use 10% of our brains' we can say: 'Really? Are you sure? Let me look that up on my phone.' And then boom! You have an answer... Beautiful if you ask me.

\\edit: Oh and since I brought it up: http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/tenper.html
Last edited by major.monogram; Aug 26, 2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 04:40 PM
War Eagle!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Sep 2006
2,902 Posts
Bryan will be back at my local airshow in October, I'll make sure to say Hi for everyone. Maybe I'll ask if he will let me sit in it...

Some video from last year's show:
Pitts Model 12- The Beast -Full Scale (9 min 2 sec)
!

And a shot of Bryan in the Beast and Cc in her Extra hauling down the airstrip in March...
http://www.beastairshows.com/web/viewgallery.php?id=5

Now.. you really want a sight, take 3 or 4 AT-6's making the same pass a full throttle....
sneasle is offline Find More Posts by sneasle
Last edited by sneasle; Aug 26, 2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 06:17 PM
Sheboygan Falls, WI
Joined Nov 2006
1,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by major.monogram View Post
From the official full scale website: http://www.beastairshows.com/web/index.php

"The Beast is a highly modified design with itís roots stemming from the Pitts Model 12 biplane. While most Model 12 aircraft have 2 seats, the Beast has been modified to be a single place aircraft. This reduced the weight of the basic aircraft substantially, and eliminated some of the drag associated with the two-place canopy."

and then from a website about the Pitts Model 12: http://www.pittsmodel12.com/history.php

1970 - 1989 "After seeing the new control system designs on aircraft such as the SU-26, Curtis starts to collect ideas for a possible new design utilizing some of this technology.
Several people witness Curtis as he measures an SU-26 aileron during a world contest."

It looks like the Sukhoi Su-26 gave at least some inspiration to the Pitts Model 12.

What a great time we live in. Now when people say things like: 'We only use 10% of our brains' we can say: 'Really? Are you sure? Let me look that up on my phone.' And then boom! You have an answer... Beautiful if you ask me.

\\edit: Oh and since I brought it up: http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/tenper.html
awesome post....
interplanet is offline Find More Posts by interplanet
Old Aug 26, 2010, 06:38 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
I copy you, you copy me, I copy you, you copy me...

Sukhoi SU-26: 1982
Pitts 12: 1995

But on the same Pitts history web site above, there's all kind of pitts dating from 1960 and up that do look a lot like the Pitts 12.

But again, the SU-2 is from 1940 and already had a bit of the SU-26 look.

Though I think both of those planes took some of their looks from the Bleriot (1907).
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Aug 26, 2010, 06:45 PM
Pastor of Muppets \m/
Joined Mar 2010
967 Posts
Quote:
awesome post....
Thanks. All credit to google.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 06:49 PM
Custom airplanes and boats
Zellwood, FL
Joined Aug 2010
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkintx View Post
No, I did not design the Beast around a sukhoi. There are no sukhoi parts in it and none of the parts, outside the engine/prop, would fit on a sukhoi. The engine and exhaust systems are russian. Engine is a great one and that is why Curtis used it as the basis for the model 12 design. The exhaust is russian YAK because it is titanium and lighter than the stainless steel exhaust we make for the model 12.

Curtis Pitts designed the model 12 with round wing tips, smaller ailerons, longer fuselage, etc. in 1996. I designed the HP model 12 in 1999 with new wings, redesigned fuselage and tail, larger ailerons and rudder, and many other changes. I own the model 12 design rights and my company is the only place to get model 12 parts and the only place to make the single seat version of the model 12. I designed the BEAST and the other variants of the model 12 known as Python, Ti-12 and Turbine Toucan. The likeness had to be close for me to enjoy being a part of this exclusive program with HH and QQ. It is and I am very happy with it.

The full scale BEAST has no coupling issues. This is part of the story that intrigued Quique when he learned this. He and I swapped ideas over this design, FS and RC, for several years before the BEAST was born. There are QQ ideas in the FS Beast and there are FS ideas in the RC versions. Keep in mind that QQ got the Model 12/Python/Turbine Toucan/Beast design working in 44% and 35% sizes before working on the UMX BEAST. I have known QQ for, I think, 6 or 7 years now and throughout all that time, he was working to make "our FS Biplane" the best RC bipe on the market. The UMX BEAST benefits from all these years of learning this design and dialing it in not to mention his 30 years of designing, building and flying RC models. Combine all of this with everything the HH team brings to such a program and it IS a formula for success.
kjkimball is offline Find More Posts by kjkimball
Old Aug 26, 2010, 06:55 PM
Zellwood, FL
Joined Aug 2010
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post

Though I think both of those planes took some of their looks from the Bleriot (1907).
Hmm... Seems like every airplane that flew after December 17, 1903 is in some part a copy.....right?
Old Aug 26, 2010, 07:07 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
I copy you, you copy me, I copy you, you copy me...

Sukhoi SU-26: 1982
Pitts 12: 1995

But on the same Pitts history web site above, there's all kind of pitts dating from 1960 and up that do look a lot like the Pitts 12.

But again, the SU-2 is from 1940 and already had a bit of the SU-26 look.

Heh heh heh.....

fat tubby radials go back a looong way.

maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Old Aug 26, 2010, 07:07 PM
We Do It With FRQZ
Joined Aug 2009
2,136 Posts
well its like movies now a days go try and find an original thought pfft there is non lol not saying anything bad about this plane i love the pitts as well as the sukhoi so both of them in one is awsome
Old Aug 26, 2010, 07:36 PM
Sheboygan Falls, WI
Joined Nov 2006
1,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjkimball View Post
No, I did not design the Beast around a sukhoi. There are no sukhoi parts in it and none of the parts, outside the engine/prop, would fit on a sukhoi. The engine and exhaust systems are russian. Engine is a great one and that is why Curtis used it as the basis for the model 12 design. The exhaust is russian YAK because it is titanium and lighter than the stainless steel exhaust we make for the model 12.

Curtis Pitts designed the model 12 with round wing tips, smaller ailerons, longer fuselage, etc. in 1996. I designed the HP model 12 in 1999 with new wings, redesigned fuselage and tail, larger ailerons and rudder, and many other changes. I own the model 12 design rights and my company is the only place to get model 12 parts and the only place to make the single seat version of the model 12. I designed the BEAST and the other variants of the model 12 known as Python, Ti-12 and Turbine Toucan. The likeness had to be close for me to enjoy being a part of this exclusive program with HH and QQ. It is and I am very happy with it.

The full scale BEAST has no coupling issues. This is part of the story that intrigued Quique when he learned this. He and I swapped ideas over this design, FS and RC, for several years before the BEAST was born. There are QQ ideas in the FS Beast and there are FS ideas in the RC versions. Keep in mind that QQ got the Model 12/Python/Turbine Toucan/Beast design working in 44% and 35% sizes before working on the UMX BEAST. I have known QQ for, I think, 6 or 7 years now and throughout all that time, he was working to make "our FS Biplane" the best RC bipe on the market. The UMX BEAST benefits from all these years of learning this design and dialing it in not to mention his 30 years of designing, building and flying RC models. Combine all of this with everything the HH team brings to such a program and it IS a formula for success.
another awesome post, did you accompany the plane to oshkosh this year? Also do you guys have a website?????
interplanet is offline Find More Posts by interplanet
Old Aug 26, 2010, 07:42 PM
We Do It With FRQZ
Joined Aug 2009
2,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjkimball View Post

like i said i was not knocking the design in any way it is simply an amazing lookin aircraft! i crapped my pants when i heard a umx bipe brushless was comming out!!! and i saw the beast and fell in love! i have a um p-51 named beauty its yellow and silver with a hot blonde on the nose and i cant wait to add the beast into for a comedic disney spoof of beauty and the beast

you have literally out done yourself with this plane and possibly set yourself up for failure on your next attempt at a plane cause idk how it could get any better

btw i cant get on the real flight sim with out flying the python first the inverted flat spins are so legit and knife edge spins have to be the best things ever... its hard to fly any other plane on that sim lol
Old Aug 26, 2010, 08:26 PM
Zellwood, FL
Joined Aug 2010
237 Posts
Interplanet,

I was with the Beast and 3 other model 12 aircraft at oshkosh this year as well as last year. The photo you placed in your post and quoted in post #543 was taken at Sun N Fun 2009 in my booth. We already had plans in place for the association with Horizon but as you can see, the airplane had no such logos on it. That was saved for Joe Nall 2009 a month later where we unveiled the BEAST/Quique/Kevin Kimball/Horizon association to the world.

Major.monogram copied text from one of my websites in post #544. I also wrote the text he copied from the Beast airshows website about the airplane. More can be learned from the following websites:
www.jimkimballenterprises.com
www.pittsmodel12.com
www.beastairshows.com

Kevin