SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 25, 2010, 09:23 PM
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined May 2009
1,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczy View Post
^ You will not be disappointed in the Wildcat. It is a great flier. I love it.
The only PZ bird I have that I got totally bored with was the Corsair, even on 4S, definitely dumping its guts in a Wildcat(including the 4S batteries )

I take it my celectra adapter for the MSR will work with the Beast's charger? I keep 25 1S batteries charged all the time so I don't think I'll have problems sharing the adapter...

ETA: BAH, just checked, it wont work. Need 12V. This will be my one gripe with the new plane. The MSR coming with that great 4 pot charger WITH adapter led to me buying 3 more UM PZ planes, and 'mentally', the MSR only 'cost' me $99, let alone the religious experience of it coming with TWO batteries! Likewise, the crapola charger with the PZ parkfliers led me to buying all my batteries/chargers from HK(over 30 of them now with 3 chargers, and more in the mail).... With a headliner like this one, sometimes you need to give that one little cookie extra. So its now a $189 UM (if you want to see how 'hobby guys' think).

I'll still pony up for it, but that $1.50 cost wall wart would be a treat that would make the FIRST NEW 2S UMX!!!! plane a truly 'complete' package, like the MSR was-possibly the best 'bird in a box' package/price in the history of the hobby.
kevinb120 is offline Find More Posts by kevinb120
Last edited by kevinb120; Aug 25, 2010 at 09:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2010, 09:26 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AggressorBLUE View Post
the psychological factor of a micro costing as much as a larger plane might cause trouble.
That's only for people who have not built small planes themselves...

Try to buy some 10gr or 20gr servos vs some 2.5gr servos. Which one are more expensive?

Should a AR6300 or AR6400 be one quarter of the price of a full size receiver because it's a quarter of the weight? No. Again, being smaller and lighter cost money.

I can get a 200 watts brushless motor for less than I pay for a small UM brushed motor. But my brushed motor is coreless, build with wire thinner than your hairs and has to weight next to nothing while the brushless motor weight half a ton and is likely easier to build (less turns of wires and bigger wire on a solid armature).

So again, truly, people who think small plane should cost much less than big planes never though about the fact that small and light stuff quite often cost more to produce than big stuff. (Sure enough, there's also the opposite end of the scale. Buying a servo for a quarter size RC plane is also costly. Those servos may have over 30Kg of torque!).
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Aug 25, 2010, 09:36 PM
Joined May 2009
1,158 Posts
Yup, I was getting into some cf/stick 'micro' electrics about 8-9 years ago before stepping out of the hobby for a while. I think I had about $500 in one 24" 3-channel! stick that never did fly right(not to mention chargers or anything). The first picolo helis were in that price range as well and very crude.

There are plenty of 'big planes' north of $15,000, so I guess 'expensive' is a relative term. When I was into much bigger stuff, it wasn't considered absurd to be shopping for $169.99 EACH servos, with most control surfaces requiring multiples.
Last edited by kevinb120; Aug 25, 2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 09:37 PM
#14 royal wulf
bluegrass state
Joined Dec 2009
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post
This reminds me of a joke:
There was an engineer who had an exceptional gift for fixing all things mechanical. After serving his company loyally for over 30 years, he happily retired. 
Several years later the company contacted him regarding a seemingly impossible problem they were having with one of their multimillion dollar machines. They had tried everything and everyone else to get the machine to work but to no avail. In desperation, they called on the retired engineer who had solved so many of their problems in the past. 
The engineer reluctantly took the challenge. He spent a day studying the huge machine. At the end of the day, he marked a small "x" in chalk on a particular component of the machine and stated, "This is where Your problem is". 
The part was replaced and the machine worked perfectly again. The company received a bill for $50,000 from the engineer for his service. They demanded an itemized accounting of his charges. The engineer responded briefly: One chalk mark $1 Knowing where to put it $49,999.
 It was paid in full and the engineer retired again in peace.

If you think this airplane is just some cheap foam and electronics, think again. It was designed and fine-tuned by WORLD-CHAMPION pilot Quique Somenzini to provide the best flying experience possible. If you think it's just some cheap foam and electronics, let me point you toward some products by Air Hogs. They're foam, they feature electronics, and they fly. It takes the touch of a master to put it all together in a package that truly performs. That's what E-flite is about: Advancing electric flight.
chirp,chirp,chirp..... i wouldnt open with this one dave
daft punk is offline Find More Posts by daft punk
Old Aug 25, 2010, 09:41 PM
Missileer Extraordinaire
Joined Jun 2001
2,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post
This reminds me of a joke:
There was an engineer who had an exceptional gift for fixing all things mechanical. After serving his company loyally for over 30 years, he happily retired. 
Several years later the company contacted him regarding a seemingly impossible problem they were having with one of their multimillion dollar machines. They had tried everything and everyone else to get the machine to work but to no avail. In desperation, they called on the retired engineer who had solved so many of their problems in the past. 
The engineer reluctantly took the challenge. He spent a day studying the huge machine. At the end of the day, he marked a small "x" in chalk on a particular component of the machine and stated, "This is where Your problem is". 
The part was replaced and the machine worked perfectly again. The company received a bill for $50,000 from the engineer for his service. They demanded an itemized accounting of his charges. The engineer responded briefly: One chalk mark $1 Knowing where to put it $49,999.
 It was paid in full and the engineer retired again in peace.

SNIP................................

A little OT, but my understanding is that this story is basically true. The machine was a walking beam steam powered water pump in a mine that had not been stopped for many, many years. It finally had to be stopped for maintenance and no one knew how to re-start it. It had to be shocked into starting and that is what the old engineer knew....
Mel Duval is online now Find More Posts by Mel Duval
Old Aug 25, 2010, 09:44 PM
USA, CA, Torrance
Joined Sep 2004
162 Posts
My all weather flier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkinpat View Post
the more i think about this plane the more i think it isn't that great of a deal. The foam is worh about $20 bucks. I already have a charger. Is the brick and 2 servo's and the motor and battery really worth $150 bucks?

The funny part about horizons movie is they are so happy with the magnetic hatches and clear canopy. Really? Really? These have been on a $10 dollar planes for years.
my dear child you are missing the whole point. It's the radio & servos plus out runner motor,that make it stand alone. We modelers have been waiting a long time for a micro with all the amenities of the bigger airplanes. . My little jewel as shown is fast but not nearly docile as a micro biplane .it's very quick to let you know who's boss. Anyway the beast is worth much more than shown & im sure it will be very much appreciated. The old duffer -- haldayne
haldayne is offline Find More Posts by haldayne
Old Aug 25, 2010, 09:56 PM
Joined May 2009
1,158 Posts
Yea, if you go back just a few years, stuff like this was completely inconceivable just 8 years ago. It could be done, but it would be way north of $1000 to get there.

It doesn't sound unreasonable,

For an 'average' foamy that would do 'average' things(maybe), say a $25 cheapo airframe that would be very dull, probably with engrish stickers all over it:

On the cheap(standard size bird)

4 servos $16.00
brushless motor $20.00
esc $40.00
airframe kit $25.00
prop $4
receiver $40
battery $17
charger $20
EMS shipping $38.00

$220 for flying junk with no warranty.

$170 for a full-house bird designed by Quique you can fly in a parking lot? And can probably crash more then a few times...
Old Aug 25, 2010, 09:57 PM
Joined Aug 2008
567 Posts
This beast seems sooo cool. But I am sad that the release date has been pushed back to late October! Can' t believe they pushed it two months back. I just hope it is not pushed back any more.
helidude22 is offline Find More Posts by helidude22
Old Aug 25, 2010, 09:58 PM
#14 royal wulf
bluegrass state
Joined Dec 2009
314 Posts
i CANT WAIT till January 2011 and the beast is listed as "due out mid february" and all of the same guys who r singing the praises of the great hrzn hbby are foaming at the mouth and demanding blood.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 10:02 PM
Joined May 2009
1,158 Posts
Meh, I got more stuff to buy anyway. Gotta get a Wildcat AF for one...
Ragamuffin trunk-monkey Stryker needs an overhaul as well(gotta start taking it out of the trunk for grocery stops )
109 and my TC450 been idle for a bit, need to get some quality time in with those
Got more metal bits for the MSR to put on
Picking up a Champ to fly in the warehouse at work(too small for the Sukhoi or P51)
And my 5-blade rotor head for the 450 needs to come out of the wrapper
etc etc

ETA: it says October?? Where is Feb coming from, you using a metric calendar?
Last edited by kevinb120; Aug 25, 2010 at 10:12 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 10:36 PM
#14 royal wulf
bluegrass state
Joined Dec 2009
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinb120 View Post
Meh, I got more stuff to buy anyway. Gotta get a Wildcat AF for one...
Ragamuffin trunk-monkey Stryker needs an overhaul as well(gotta start taking it out of the trunk for grocery stops )
109 and my TC450 been idle for a bit, need to get some quality time in with those
Got more metal bits for the MSR to put on
Picking up a Champ to fly in the warehouse at work(too small for the Sukhoi or P51)
And my 5-blade rotor head for the 450 needs to come out of the wrapper
etc etc

Quote:
ETA: it says October?? Where is Feb coming from, you using a metric calendar?
hahaha,metric calendar....hmmm. trust me u will have plenty of time to enjoy your new, ummm, champ before the beast ever hits the lhs.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 11:09 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daft punk View Post
hahaha,metric calendar....hmmm. trust me u will have plenty of time to enjoy your new, ummm, champ before the beast ever hits the lhs.
in the past you are correct, BUT! this season HH has made a point of not announcing the plane, till it is on the water, so they can deliver very close to the date said, i must say I haven't waited too long for any of the planes i have bought this season

the wait is fine by me too, as i still want to pick up a Stinson and an UM T-28 plenty of time to get the Beast, as i reckon this will turn into one of their best sellers and plenty will be available for as a great Xmas present for Dad

chuck
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Aug 25, 2010, 11:18 PM
Joined Jun 2008
216 Posts
Any guesses how this will fly in a gym? I really liked the p-51 but found it a little too fast to fly in a gym. How do you think this will compare to the p-51 as to speed?
capadotia is offline Find More Posts by capadotia
Old Aug 25, 2010, 11:21 PM
Foaming at the mouth..
USA, KS, Topeka
Joined Jul 2008
924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capadotia View Post
Any guesses how this will fly in a gym? I really liked the p-51 but found it a little too fast to fly in a gym. How do you think this will compare to the p-51 as to speed?
From the video it looks like a rocket, they don't do much slow flying.
But if you have a radio capable of doing the mixing, you could run spoilerons or flaperons and slow it down some.

~Kev
darksiede is offline Find More Posts by darksiede
Old Aug 25, 2010, 11:58 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benboy207 View Post
I have a thunder AC6 which came with banana plugs to alligator clips.
Could I just attach the Beast Charger to my AC6?
If so how would I know what settings to use?

Ben
No.

You will need a seperate AC/DC power supply or 12V battery to use the Beast charger.

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member