HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 20, 2010, 12:53 PM
Bray, UK
Joined Aug 2009
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcconville View Post
The aileron servos are where they are because the vertical CG of an aerobatic model is critical to avoid coupling with rudder. It would be too high if on the top wing. We have never had any issue with hurting the servos. You wouldnt want to fly it w/o landing gear ever. Thats just wrong. If you were, I'd assume your flying over grass anyway so its a non issue there.
Mike, thanks very much for the speedy answer.

I was thinking that the aileron servos could go on the top of the BOTTOM wing, not on the top wing! Would that still mess up the vertical CG?

And yes, it would only be flying it over grass, where there is no ready access to a runway. When you say that is a non issue, do you mean that the servos can take a grass landing, or that you would leave the LG on and let it take the hit?

EDIT: WOW - you're fast! You answered that second question before I even finished posting it!!!!
bluefisherking is offline Find More Posts by bluefisherking
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2010, 12:55 PM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,775 Posts
On the note of belly landing, i posted the same thing in the other set:

I dont think this plane would be good for belly landing anyway. The landing gear isn't easily removable and i think prop strike would become all too common. This plane is designed to be landed on a smooth surface (from what i've heard).

If you want to belly land, IMO this is the wrong plane for you to fly. but you could still get it anyway as a cool shelf model because my gosh it looks good!
Bowerz is offline Find More Posts by Bowerz
Old Aug 20, 2010, 01:00 PM
Joined Sep 2009
3,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefisherking View Post
. When you say that is a non issue, do you mean that the servos can take a grass landing, or that you would leave the LG on and let it take the hit?
I think he means you're gonna have to learn to harrier land it into the grass

Just kidding, but i can see and issue with grass flying is. My suggestion is look for/use a flying site the DOES have a smooth landing surface. You wouldn't fly somewhere were there is lots of tree's would you? Like with any plane you would just have to find a suitable flying area.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 01:11 PM
ICU
Check out my Shapeways Shop
Dallas,Tx.
Joined Apr 2007
1,202 Posts
mmcconville

Could you tell us if the AR6400LBL capable of running off of a 1s battery? Also what is the amp rating for the esc?

Thanks
ICU is offline Find More Posts by ICU
Old Aug 20, 2010, 01:15 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
I just look at that quote and wonder... What exactly does it mean?

No true 3D UM BL coming soon? No outdoor 3D UM BL? No fast 3D UM....

Heck I'll make my own. I've got some 3mm foam
So true.. when my beast has died the electronics shall live on.. In 3d!
MikeRx is online now Find More Posts by MikeRx
Old Aug 20, 2010, 01:37 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,439 Posts
But will it hover?
dee-grose is online now Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 20, 2010, 01:41 PM
Joined Sep 2009
3,775 Posts
It has the thrust ratio to hover, but i don't know about control surface size/throw to hold it in position
Old Aug 20, 2010, 01:46 PM
Horizon Employee
Joined Jan 2006
84 Posts
I'll need to check the specs on the ESC. I'm working from home today so I dont have access and dont remember off the top of my head.

It has the power to hover, but isnt really propped for it and its VERY difficult to do. Pretty much none of us have been able to TR ir, not even lightning thumbs Seth Arnold.
mmcconville is offline Find More Posts by mmcconville
Old Aug 20, 2010, 02:07 PM
The building never ends!
Tucson, AZ
Joined Oct 2008
1,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowerz View Post
It has the thrust ratio to hover, but i don't know about control surface size/throw to hold it in position
The prop's a bit small, and the motor's a bit fast. I imagine you're going to get the thrust you need to hover at an RPM too high to do more than prop-hang.

I think you'd get better results going with a larger diameter, low-pitch prop. A GWS 6030, or maybe a 1st-gen Sukhoi prop would get the pitch speed down, and you'd have more thrust at a lower RPM . . . but the current draw is going to be a fair bit higher (maybe as in, 'hey look, the nose is melting' higher.). A 2300 Kv motor turns a little too quickly to be happy with a 6" prop. You need a lower-Kv motor to safely use the big, low-pitch prop needed to 3D something as hefty as the UM Beast.

You might be able to make UM Beast more of a 3D plane by changing out the stock motor for a 2000 Kv 10 gram motor from HC and going with a 6x3 prop. Mind you, not knowing the weight of the stock motor, or the amp rating of the AR6400LBL's ESC . . . this is not an experiment I'd be willing try with my (potentially future) UM Beast; but I thought I'd just throw that out there for those of you whose idea of fun is to take a perfectly good plane and hack the heck out of it.
Ensign Jimmy is offline Find More Posts by Ensign Jimmy
Old Aug 20, 2010, 02:24 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
I have two UM Mustangs and basically never removed the landing gear. Between the two of them, I'm close to 600 flights (and almost as many landings). Most of them have been in grass, with LG on. Never had any problems.

Worst case, I think I will make two little foam cover (come here little foam plate, the thinner the better, that's the only use for them). Cut, shape, and cover the servo to protect them mostly from dew in my case (I do most of my UM flying at 6:00 am, and grass is often wet), but from dirt as well. Bit of painting, and few more teeths, and the beast will be happy. Though, two out of my 4 flying spots/park have runways. Yeah. For people with large backyard, I'd bet this thing can take off and land on two 4X8 plywood end to end.... I know if I could fly from mine, that's what I would have done for my UMs

Mike: We need full specifications for the ESC pleaaaase. 1S 2S 3S even maybe? Max current and max burst current. This is truly an awesome receiver!
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Aug 20, 2010, 02:26 PM
Bray, UK
Joined Aug 2009
270 Posts
Quote:
On the note of belly landing, i posted the same thing in the other set:

I dont think this plane would be good for belly landing anyway. The landing gear isn't easily removable and i think prop strike would become all too common. This plane is designed to be landed on a smooth surface (from what i've heard).

If you want to belly land, IMO this is the wrong plane for you to fly. but you could still get it anyway as a cool shelf model because my gosh it looks good!
Ha ha - as if I could own it and not put it in the air!

Quote:
I think he means you're gonna have to learn to harrier land it into the grass

Just kidding, but i can see and issue with grass flying is. My suggestion is look for/use a flying site the DOES have a smooth landing surface. You wouldn't fly somewhere were there is lots of tree's would you? Like with any plane you would just have to find a suitable flying area.
Yes, I could - but the difference is that if I can fly it in the field outside my house I get the chance to fly a few times a day, as I mainly work from home and although I do quite long hours I can often just step outside for 15 minutes at a time. The field does have the tall trees all around, but I do already fly there with my Sukhoi XP, another 6 UM planes(!), and occasionally my (normal size) Gunfighter P-51. I have even flown the Parkzone Extra there, but not normally as I did have to manage landings carefully! But if I had to find a different site I would at best maybe make it once a week, as my weekends are normally filled with activities from the honey-do list or kids.

So that's why I am really keen to be able to fly off grass... So I might yet have to go the harrier landing route, or the portable runway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Worst case, I think I will make two little foam cover (come here little foam plate, the thinner the better, that's the only use for them). Cut, shape, and cover the servo to protect them mostly from dew in my case (I do most of my UM flying at 6:00 am, and grass is often wet), but from dirt as well. Bit of painting, and few more teeths, and the beast will be happy.
Yes, seems like the way to go. Very thin pre-formed transparent plastic cut to the right shape (say from the packet that a Spektrum receiver comes in) might do the trick. I have used bits like that to protect servos in slightly larger models, so as long as you could get thin enough piece of plastic that might be good, too.
bluefisherking is offline Find More Posts by bluefisherking
Old Aug 20, 2010, 02:32 PM
Joined Sep 2009
3,775 Posts
Take a few sheets of builders ply from an old built site (they use them as floor boards, not building materials, so if you ask them if you could have a couple once they were done with them, they are more than likely to let you) and leave them at the side of the field, lay them down when needed.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 02:34 PM
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jul 2008
275 Posts
This looks amazing. I'm putting my name on the list at the LHS.
Rota is offline Find More Posts by Rota
Old Aug 20, 2010, 02:40 PM
Joined Jan 2008
721 Posts
Say what you will but in my eyes its a sukhoi with 4site wings.
wrcsti is offline Find More Posts by wrcsti
Old Aug 20, 2010, 02:44 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jan 2005
2,359 Posts
when was the last time you had an eye exam?
trust416 is offline Find More Posts by trust416