HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 20, 2010, 11:54 AM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,652 Posts
Basically, it's saying to do 3d and fly fast outside, it isn't going to happen. To 3D it has to be light to have a low wing loading, but light is bad outside for obvious reasons (wind). Also, to fly fast, and to be able to 3D requires 2 different kind of prop. Low thrust speed, but a large air volume being moved is good for 3D, High thrust speed and and medium-large air volume for fast flying.

Basically a large prop with less bite/pitch for 3D, a small prop with more bite/pitch for speed.
Bowerz is online now Find More Posts by Bowerz
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2010, 12:00 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,278 Posts
I think it would be possible to do 3D with the beast. Just hand the controllers to Mike or Quique and watch your airplane 3D through the air! How does the sukhoi xp compare to the beast in flight charaterictics?
Cheese5 is offline Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Aug 20, 2010, 12:02 PM
Joined Sep 2009
3,652 Posts
The only person to know that would be Quinque as he seems to be the only person that flies this at the moment and he doesn't post on the forums.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 12:05 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,278 Posts
Come on Quique! Post! Or Mike M.!
Old Aug 20, 2010, 12:09 PM
Joined Sep 2009
3,652 Posts
I dont think Mike has flown the Beast yet. The one they have at HH HQ, Jim has kept under lock and key Look on their UStream page tonight (just search for Horizon Hobby) for a peak at this beautiful bird
Old Aug 20, 2010, 12:25 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,278 Posts
Okay so the UStream says the micro beast will be broad casted but it was uploaded yesterday so how come it can't be watched? What time is it tonight(Pacific time please)?
Old Aug 20, 2010, 12:25 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcconville View Post
A couple of notes in response to a few posts. The electronics are all ours, motor, rx, servos. They were all developed by us, not oursourced off the shelf stuff.

The aileron servos plg into seperate ports, not a Y-harness. With the correct tx, flapperons are possible.

Mike McConville
Horizon Hobby
Mike,

That is great to hear that everything is made right here in the good 'ole USA. There's nothing like supporting the U.S. economy and our LHS's, and I don't think that there will be any nay-sayers here.

I need to ask, what is the Y-harness adapter listed on the parts listing for? It is really nice that flaperons are an option. They will be one of the first things that people do to slow this thing down a bit for 'short field landings', which my neighborhood flying area dictates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefisherking View Post
Perhaps you could shed some light on the placement of the aileron servos. Is it how it looks in the pictures, that those of us who can only fly over grass really can't use this plane (stock) as a belly landing would rip up the servos? What was the reason for that placement? i.e. is there a reason they could not have been on the top of the lower wing? Or be relocated there?
Think about how everyone is talking about the servos sticking out like a sore thumb on the bottom of the wing. Imagine how it would look on the top of the wing on this beautiful, scale airplane! Then the forums would really rip HH apart for doing something so hideous. I just think of it as being necessary to keep price, weight, and easy of assembly within limits. You can only imagine how many of these things they will need to turn out. How are the kind people making these gems going to feel about fiddling with internal control rods, bellcranks, ect all day? You know what I mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRX
That location alone (and the landing) says that the plane slows down nicely...
Here's my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
No true 3D UM BL coming soon? No outdoor 3D UM BL? No fast 3D UM....

Heck I'll make my own. I've got some 3mm foam
I'm lovin' the gung-ho attitude!

-PC49
PiperCub49 is online now Find More Posts by PiperCub49
Old Aug 20, 2010, 12:36 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,403 Posts
Cheese5: I think you're the one collecting reason why you have to buy a UMX Beast?

Here's one I just thought about, which is really important to me!

- Being able to fly in very cold weather!!!

As a canadian, I don't mind flying even in below 0 temperature. If there's no wind, you can see me outside with my frozen fingers on a Tx. But UM are very bad, mostly because the battery is outside the plane, and being hit by cold wind.

With the Beast, the battery is inside the cowl, and very close to the motor (which will likely help raising the temperature inside the plane. So, I'm pretty sure I will get longer flight time in cold weather. Who know, maybe I won't have to store my batteries in my mouth anymore to keep them warm while flying. Rub it quickly in your hand to warm them up, hide it under a nice warm cowl, and fly it. Not expecting summer flying time, but anything better than 30 seconds to 1 minute (that's how bad I want to fly in winter), will be fantastic.
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Aug 20, 2010, 12:36 PM
Horizon Employee
Joined Jan 2006
73 Posts
Yes of course I've flown it many times throughout the development. A couple answers.
The Y-Harness listed is so two of the 1S 150mAh batteries can be used. So may of those out there. Performance isnt as good as the 2S 120 is a 20C battery but its OK and lets you use the 150s you have.

The aileron servos are where they are because the vertical CG of an aerobatic model is critical to avoid coupling with rudder. It would be too high if on the top wing. We have never had any issue with hurting the servos. You wouldnt want to fly it w/o landing gear ever. Thats just wrong. If you were, I'd assume your flying over grass anyway so its a non issue there.
Beast vs. SukhoiXP. The Beast flies bigger. The BL power is smoother and bigger and the weight and larger area gives it a more solid, bigger feel. As its a bipe, as is typical it has better rudder authority than a mono without SFGs
mmcconville is offline Find More Posts by mmcconville
Old Aug 20, 2010, 12:38 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperCub49 View Post
Mike,

That is great to hear that everything is made right here in the good 'ole USA. There's nothing like supporting the U.S. economy and our LHS's, and I don't think that there will be any nay-sayers here.

-PC49
He didn't say it was made here, just developed here. It's made in China like everything else.

It would be pretty hard to find American workers who would assemble UM airplanes for $3/hour... maybe if you could hire American 14 year olds...
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Aug 20, 2010, 12:42 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,580 Posts
Mike,

Thanks for the quick reply on the Y-harness question! That's a great idea. Some in your position (owner/worker/designer) do not or are not able to answer as quickly and sometimes never do! This is classic HH care in respect to the modeling world.

-PC49
Old Aug 20, 2010, 12:44 PM
Bray, UK
Joined Aug 2009
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRx View Post
You can relocate them, but no thanks. I have perfectly good sidewalks, driveways, and parking lots. Who doesnt have access to a "runway?"
Me

Thing is that the narrow, single track road outside my house has really, really tall dense trees all the way along, with a nice field just the other side, which is completely surrounded by the same trees (providing a nice shelter from some wind). The branches go down to about 2-3feet AGL (and each tree meshes with the next) and up to 250 feet (well, very high, anyway). So I either have to fly under the trees (which I have done with v slow planes and my MSR but not anything like this UMX!) or climb to height in a narrow corridor and fly over the top... whilst in either case simultaneously ducking underneath myself and trying to keep the plane in sight!

So if I want to fly right outside my house (who doesn't?) rather than having to go elsewhere I guess I would have to move the servos... so I just wanted to know if there was a structural or other reason why that might be difficult (which would explain why they were put on the bottom).

Only other option is a roll-out runway
bluefisherking is offline Find More Posts by bluefisherking
Old Aug 20, 2010, 12:45 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
He didn't say it was made here, just developed here. It's made in China like everything else.

It would be pretty hard to find American workers who would assemble UM airplanes for $3/hour... maybe if you could hire American 14 year olds...
Hey, that almost sounds like sneaky talk, Mike! UNGN, you could be right. Any way you look at it though, the sometimes-stereotypical "Chinese QC" doesn't hold a light to these planes.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 12:47 PM
Joined Sep 2009
3,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese5 View Post
Okay so the UStream says the micro beast will be broad casted but it was uploaded yesterday so how come it can't be watched? What time is it tonight(Pacific time please)?
they had techinical issues last night with their ISP so they are re-doing today at 2PDT which i believe is also 4 central. or 9GMT (my time )
Old Aug 20, 2010, 12:51 PM
Horizon Employee
Joined Jan 2006
73 Posts
The Beast is fine with LG on it in grass. It wont roll, but its pretty easy to just flop in down in the grass and do no damage. Done that several flights and in my experience I didnt even break off the foam wheel pants.

Dont sweat the ail servo placement, you arent going to hurt them landing the model.
mmcconville is offline Find More Posts by mmcconville
Last edited by mmcconville; Aug 20, 2010 at 04:54 PM.