Old Aug 20, 2010, 06:40 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
Are these the batteries for this plane?

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=10915

Figure I might want to order these and put them on the slow boat from HK.

Tom
I'm not sure those will keep up to the current draw required. I would hold out for a better option.

If you look at pictures, the battery for this looks more square too.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2010, 06:40 AM
3DHS Junkie
Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2005
5,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugocraft View Post
BUT..................where is the video of it 3D'ing?!?!?!?!?
It has not been mentioned once that it will 3d---just a high perfromance model that will do imac maneuvers.
800mZero is offline Find More Posts by 800mZero
Old Aug 20, 2010, 06:41 AM
heli addict
Ohio
Joined Nov 2003
3,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjkimball View Post
Bud and others,

Re: Full scale airshow machines.

Tucker's current airplane is NOT a Pitts, is not made up of Model 12 or PITTS or EAGLE parts. It is a clean sheet of paper design by Steve Wolf originally created for Wyche Coleman of Louisiana. Steve and his crew built the Yellow one for Wyche, Tucker flew it and ordered an airframe from wolf. The airplane Tucker bailed out of a few years ago had some pitts and eagle parts in it as well as Wolf parts.

The Beast is one of 4 singe seater Model 12s we have built here. We produce the Model 12 plans, kits, and complete airplanes. There are no Pitts or Eagle parts in a model 12, Beast, etc. We designed and built the Beast for Bryan Jensen who flies it in airshows.

I worked with Quique/HH with details on the Beast 100 and the UMX Beast. The exclusive arrangement we have with HH for the aircraft we build gives us great confidence that we can be proud to associate with the people and products that carry our names. I am very pleased with both Beasts, 100 and UMX, and will have at least one as soon as they come out.

Kevin Kimball
Thanks for the info! We are very excited about this model!
humveeflyer is offline Find More Posts by humveeflyer
Old Aug 20, 2010, 06:53 AM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,426 Posts
Quote:
..and will have at least one as soon as they come out.

Kevin Kimball
Nicely said, Kevin!

Seriously though, thanks for chiming in, Kevin. You guys have done an awesome job...from the full-scale birds down to the UMX, they're definitely tough-looking airplanes! Very nice.

Andy
dee-grose is offline Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 20, 2010, 07:39 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,524 Posts
Quote:
Bud and others,

Re: Full scale airshow machines.

Tucker's current airplane is NOT a Pitts, is not made up of Model 12 or PITTS or EAGLE parts. It is a clean sheet of paper design by Steve Wolf originally created for Wyche Coleman of Louisiana. Steve and his crew built the Yellow one for Wyche, Tucker flew it and ordered an airframe from wolf. The airplane Tucker bailed out of a few years ago had some pitts and eagle parts in it as well as Wolf parts.

The Beast is one of 4 singe seater Model 12s we have built here. We produce the Model 12 plans, kits, and complete airplanes. There are no Pitts or Eagle parts in a model 12, Beast, etc. We designed and built the Beast for Bryan Jensen who flies it in airshows.

I worked with Quique/HH with details on the Beast 100 and the UMX Beast. The exclusive arrangement we have with HH for the aircraft we build gives us great confidence that we can be proud to associate with the people and products that carry our names. I am very pleased with both Beasts, 100 and UMX, and will have at least one as soon as they come out.

Kevin Kimball
Thank you very much for the info...
livonia bob is online now Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Aug 20, 2010, 08:22 AM
The building never ends!
Tucson, AZ
Joined Oct 2008
1,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
I'm not sure those will keep up to the current draw required. I would hold out for a better option.

If you look at pictures, the battery for this looks more square too.
Did someone say a better option?

120 mAH 2S with 25C continuous discharge and 5C charging. Can't go wrong with Hyperion packs.
Ensign Jimmy is offline Find More Posts by Ensign Jimmy
Old Aug 20, 2010, 09:23 AM
Horizon Employee
Joined Jan 2006
84 Posts
Its great to see such excitement over the UM Beast. Its very exciting and is a new level of Ultra Micro performance.
A couple of notes in response to a few posts. The electronics are all ours, motor, rx, servos. They were all developed by us, not oursourced off the shelf stuff.
The aileron servos plg into seperate ports, not a Y-harness. With the correct tx, flapperons are possible.
The UMX Beast is amazingly precise, and is very straight and solid on knife edge. Almost no coupling. It will even KE loop.
It is not a 3D airplane. It flies like a good IMAC model with an IMAC set up. Wing loading on UM models is such that getting a model to both 3D well and fly faster and smoothly outdoors is not realistic. The design requirements are kinda polar opposites.

Quque had done a lot of work refining the UMX Beast and I do think you guys will love it.

Mike McConville
Horizon Hobby
mmcconville is offline Find More Posts by mmcconville
Old Aug 20, 2010, 09:29 AM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,426 Posts
Good info, Mike. Let's just hope that folks buy these things and fly them as they were meant to be flown. My guess is folks are gonna buy them expecting to 3D them and then start complaining. I guess that's just the (and I know you heard this coming) nature of the "Beast".

But I do have to ask...will it hover?

Andy
dee-grose is offline Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 20, 2010, 09:40 AM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,053 Posts
mmcconville, this model looks truly awesome. Priced too high in my opinion, but we'll get it anyway haha - it looks just that good (but probably not the other probably upcoming 2S models :P)
CrashMeUp is offline Find More Posts by CrashMeUp
Old Aug 20, 2010, 10:09 AM
Bray, UK
Joined Aug 2009
270 Posts
@MMcConville
Mike, thanks very much for the information - really appreciated when you contribute to the threads.

Perhaps you could shed some light on the placement of the aileron servos. Is it how it looks in the pictures, that those of us who can only fly over grass really can't use this plane (stock) as a belly landing would rip up the servos? What was the reason for that placement? i.e. is there a reason they could not have been on the top of the lower wing? Or be relocated there?
bluefisherking is offline Find More Posts by bluefisherking
Old Aug 20, 2010, 10:54 AM
Elida, Ohio
Joined Apr 2010
154 Posts
Thank you Kevin and Mike for the info on the original and micro Beast! This is definitely going to be my next airplane. I cannot wait until its flying over my back yard! Maybe get some nice keychain cam videos from this? Looks like it has plenty of power to handle the extra weight.

-Jack
MugMan is offline Find More Posts by MugMan
Old Aug 20, 2010, 11:37 AM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,168 Posts
Who is gonna question the vid?? If you have the skills, you can fly off your sidewalk. That location alone (and the landing) says that the plane slows down nicely.. and its sooo upgradable. Batteries alone can transform it, 45c, external esc, 3s, 3s gearbox. That amount of wing area can fly well over 3oz EASY. Looks PERFECT to me. Calling LHS to reserve mine now...
MikeRx is offline Find More Posts by MikeRx
Old Aug 20, 2010, 11:39 AM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,367 Posts
IMAC flying hmm... How does this micro beast compare to the sukhoi xp? The sukhoi xp can knife edge but for the knife edge loop well no.
Cheese5 is online now Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Aug 20, 2010, 11:40 AM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefisherking View Post
@MMcConville
Mike, thanks very much for the information - really appreciated when you contribute to the threads.

Perhaps you could shed some light on the placement of the aileron servos. Is it how it looks in the pictures, that those of us who can only fly over grass really can't use this plane (stock) as a belly landing would rip up the servos? What was the reason for that placement? i.e. is there a reason they could not have been on the top of the lower wing? Or be relocated there?
You can relocate them, but no thanks. I have perfectly good sidewalks, driveways, and parking lots. Who doesnt have access to a "runway?"
MikeRx is offline Find More Posts by MikeRx
Old Aug 20, 2010, 11:42 AM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,332 Posts
Quote:
Wing loading on UM models is such that getting a model to both 3D well and fly faster and smoothly outdoors is not realistic. The design requirements are kinda polar opposites.
I just look at that quote and wonder... What exactly does it mean?

No true 3D UM BL coming soon? No outdoor 3D UM BL? No fast 3D UM....

Heck I'll make my own. I've got some 3mm foam
ducatirdr is offline Find More Posts by ducatirdr