HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 30, 2010, 01:12 PM
Joined Oct 2006
325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
WOW! Awesome video Chances! Thank you! Make it harder for us to have to wait 3 more weeks (probably 4 or 5 in Canada) before we get it! I'll probably have a foot of snow by the time I get mine

Your videos has definitively proved a few thing to me:

Able to fly in the wind: Check
Resilient: Check
Can carry extra load: Check
Fun to fly: Check
Awesome vertical: Check
Probably the best Ultra Micro so far: CHECK
RG, you were succinct and hit the main points why this will be Micro of the year and a point in evolution!

HH now has the Beast's ESC/Receiver/Servo Combo AR6400LBL DSM2 6Ch Ultra Micro Receiver BL-ESC in Stock at $70. I have some pics of the Specs & Schematics. They left out that the ESC can handle motors with peak outputs of 4-6A. Just to give you some trivia, the BL Motor that the Beast presently uses can handle 2 or 3S! Unfortunately, I don't think this new Combo ESC can handle that motor in a 3S configuration.......Imagine the Beast with a 120mAh 20C 3S setup!

So who's going to start the Mod Wars where 4-Sites, Sukoi's and UMP51's tear up the skies?

Hey, thanks Chances for posting your video!
Aloha Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Aloha Flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2010, 01:20 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Flyer View Post

So who's going to start the Mod Wars where 4-Sites, Sukoi's and UMP51's tear up the skies?
Hmmmmm. Indeed. Dunno if the 4Site can handle the weight and torque...but it sure would be nice to have that power!

Bud, thinking of the possibilities Bud
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Old Oct 30, 2010, 01:33 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maukabud View Post
Hmmmmm. Indeed. Dunno if the 4Site can handle the weight and torque...but it sure would be nice to have that power!

Bud, thinking of the possibilities Bud
My 4-Site is already brushless... From all my UMs, it's the one that gained the most by going brushless. Sure enough, mine was already overweight before the swap, so, the end result was even better for me. It's definitively strange to be able to try to hover for one minute, then do patterns for another 3 minutes, and finally, go back to trying to hover one more minute, and finally still go vertical from there! Only thing I had to do to mine was adding one carbon fiber on the bottom wing because it was warping too much in the bottom of loops. Sure enough, the many previous crashes had already made my wings kind of smooshy, but even on a brand new 4-Site, I think it would be almost needed anyway if you still power through the loop.

The sad new though, is the fact that I already have lots of 2S batteries for my 4-Site, and it does look like they will not fit the Beast without an adapter, or a modification (swapping connector for a normal balancing connector, or red JST) on the Beast itself (which look more and more like it may be something that will happen to mine!)
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Oct 30, 2010, 03:07 PM
Wendell, NC
Joined Jun 2010
1,217 Posts
What 2S batteries do you have?
lazor 22 is offline Find More Posts by lazor 22
Old Oct 30, 2010, 03:52 PM
Joined Oct 2006
325 Posts
Quote:
The sad news though, is the fact that I already have lots of 2S batteries for my 4-Site, and it does look like they will not fit the Beast without an adapter, or a modification (swapping connector for a normal balancing connector, or red JST) on the Beast itself (which look more and more like it may be something that will happen to mine!)
That's the way Innovation in business works. HH want their return on investment (ROI), so upgrade Mods will benefit their bottom line.
1. Why go to proprietary connectors, wonít the jstís put out more current? Why not make the connector like the normal 2S balance plugs?
2. Why have an ESC Combo but it canít accommodate your own ďplug-inĒ ESC? Why make the ESC portion with only a 4-6A peak? Why not 10A peak to cover most of the Micro motors including 3S configurations?

BECAUSE those who want the easiest path to Mod will need to buy the AR6400LBL ESC Combo for $70, EFLM1120 BL 180 can motor for $30, EFLB1202S20 2S 120mAh Lipo for $14 and EFLUC1007 Celectra 2S 7.4V DC Li-Po Charger for $30. TOTAL=$144. Not too many places to shortcut in that power system if you want it quick! All to make you tack on the extra $30 to get that Beast in the 1st place! WOW, that came full circle!
Aloha Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Aloha Flyer
Old Oct 30, 2010, 03:57 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Man, HH just keeps crankin em out....

can't wait to get this "bird"...wonder what the wing loading is:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PRB3650

Old Oct 30, 2010, 04:13 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazor 22 View Post
What 2S batteries do you have?
Me? I have Rhinos, Hyperions, Flightmax, and some no-name. For my 4-Site, which has a HobbyKing brushless, I use only the Flightmax (180mah) and the no-name (200mah). Those no-names came with some ultra-micro from HobbyKing. They are smaller and lighter than my Flightmax, and they do have a true 200mah capacity. Would like to be able to get more if I could! I really like them, so does my 4-Site!
Old Oct 30, 2010, 04:20 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
I really like them, so does my 4-Site!
Hey, got any pics of the ol' b/l 4Site? I'd love to see it...

As far as the weird Beastie balance plug...shouldn't be too hard to solder up an adapter pigtail...

Bud, enquiring Bud
Old Oct 30, 2010, 04:25 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Flyer View Post
RG, you were succinct and hit the main points why this will be Micro of the year and a point in evolution!

HH now has the Beast's ESC/Receiver/Servo Combo AR6400LBL DSM2 6Ch Ultra Micro Receiver BL-ESC in Stock at $70. I have some pics of the Specs & Schematics. They left out that the ESC can handle motors with peak outputs of 4-6A. Just to give you some trivia, the BL Motor that the Beast presently uses can handle 2 or 3S! Unfortunately, I don't think this new Combo ESC can handle that motor in a 3S configuration.......Imagine the Beast with a 120mAh 20C 3S setup!

Hey, thanks Chances for posting your video!
Horizon really needs to make something with the x port. Right now there is nothing that works with the xport. The xport/channel 5 combo is pretty smart. BUt I think the xport should be used, its been awhile since the first AR6400 came out with the xport function, but there has been no plug ins yet.
Cheese5 is offline Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Oct 30, 2010, 04:51 PM
UK, Leeds.
Joined Mar 2009
398 Posts
Quote:

As far as the weird Beastie balance plug...shouldn't be too hard to solder up an adapter pigtail...

Bud, enquiring Bud
Me 2! I've got a couple of 2s BL conversions and wondered about my 4site, its got no crash damage but I still thought it was too fragile to take a AP05 and Esc+alot of extra power. Probably just cursed myself saying this but my 4site is the only motor that hasn't crapped out on me.

Pics of motor mount and wing cf struts would be great.
rew-7 is offline Find More Posts by rew-7
Old Oct 30, 2010, 05:12 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Sure, you're looking for a good laugh, aren't you? There's no way I'm showing you a full view of my poor little beaten 4-Site. I must truly have the worst looking one. (and heaviest!).

But, I'll show you the very fancy brushless motor mount I came up with:
(And just looking at the nose, you'll be able to guess what the rest of the plane look like!)

The "fancy" motor mount is simply some huge drop of white gorilla glue! It has been holding awesomely well! Most likely because of the extra weight farther in front (it cannot be because of my flying skill), I do get way more prop strikes on landings. I already had to replace the propeller once! Every strike, I'm expecting the motor to get loose, but that glue is holding on very well. Truly enough, I "may" have used a little bit too much glue! But again, I truly love my 4-Site now, more than ever... Still doesn't want to hover nicely for me, but it's not because it,s lacking power... The power is DEFINITIVELY there... Everything else is smooth as usual except maybe inverted flight. Knife edge are very easy. And it's pretty much my only ultra micro that I'm happy to fly at 50% throttle, which for me, is very strange! All my other UMs are usually flown at WOT!

The ESC is on the side of the plane, but I've moved the battery under the plane, which explain why inverted flight has suffered a bit... But it's much easier to replace the battery now, so I'm willing to sacrifice great inverted flying for it! Still does it anyway, but it's harder.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rew-7 View Post
Me 2! I've got a couple of 2s BL conversions and wondered about my 4site, its got no crash damage but I still thought it was too fragile to take a AP05 and Esc+alot of extra power. Probably just cursed myself saying this but my 4site is the only motor that hasn't crapped out on me.

Pics of motor mount and wing cf struts would be great.
Well, you saw the picture above? It wasn't hard for me to decide to go brushless on mine... It was far from looking nice already! I'm pretty sure the motor I used is an AP05 from Hobby King. And I did nothing fancy for the carbon fiber under the bottom wing. You may be able to get away without one, though my wings still look VERY good... But again, they would flex A LOT in the bottom of thight loops, so since I could get away with extra weight, I added one. Even if my wings still looked good, I think all the crashes had made them more flexible...

One last thing: You have to remove a lot of foam in the box, after you do this mod... The propeller is farther up front, so it doesn't fit as is, in the box. Not a big deal, but hey, I love those boxes!
Last edited by RealGambler; Oct 30, 2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 05:44 PM
UK, Leeds.
Joined Mar 2009
398 Posts
Thanks RG
Yep thats a AP05, tonnes of power on 2s.
rew-7 is offline Find More Posts by rew-7
Old Oct 30, 2010, 05:48 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
that poor ting! ...and I thought mine looked bad lol!
Old Oct 30, 2010, 06:03 PM
Canberra, ACT, Australia
Joined Oct 2006
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazor 22 View Post
If I want slow flight I'll fly my Vapor!
Well then I am sure those batteries will be fine, will probably help with its wind handling too.
doil is offline Find More Posts by doil
Old Oct 30, 2010, 06:07 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
Quote:
that poor ting! ...and I thought mine looked bad lol!
To my defense, it was my first 3D plane, and sadly, I tried to fly it in a very small room (but with 12ft ceiling!) for way too much time.

Step 1: "Oh, you really have to use the rudder on this one" (found after crashing in the walls about 40 times

Step 2: "This thing should hover, this thing should over" So this small room should be good enough to fly it. Add 100 more crashes

Step 3: "Wow, I can fly this bird outside when there's no wind!" AWESOME. But a bit too late to find that out... I wish I could have bought a second one when it was on sale, but being a canadian, they would tag an extra $50 on it for duty, and my LHS won't match the price. But hey, it still fly very well, and sure enough, does fly much faster than any brushed 4-Site : )

Last point your honor: My original UM Mustang has over 400 flights, still has all original foam (except spinner) and still look awesome! So, it's not just the pilot.... It's those walls that were coming at me at warp speed! Wish I could have had access to a cold gym

Now, quick, we need more Beast video so we can forget about my 4-Site!