Bowerz is offline Find More Posts by Bowerz
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2010, 06:35 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,412 Posts
About expo...

I have about 10 airplanes right now. 9 of them can be flown without expo. On the other side, I have an EDF jet that is very hard to fly without expo. It simply roll very fast! As soon as you start giving a little bit too much aileron, it's gone on a roll and it's done before you can correct it. Before I put expo on it, I would sometime often accidentally roll it! Luckily, it rolls like it's on rail. Like my other planes, I flew it without expo, until I discovered that with expo, it was a much better plane.

When I look at the video of the Beast, it does give me the feeling that it's a quick roller too. Remember, the wingspan is short for it's size. It may well be the first UM where expo could be very welcome. Like my EDF, it could still be flyable without, but doing a roll when you didn't really want to do one may still look cool for people watching, but for me, I kind of like to do them only when I want to, not because I gave just a little bit too much ailerons before a turn..

But who knows, some 4-Site videos are also showing very snappy rolls, yet, that's an easy plane to fly without expo.
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Aug 19, 2010, 06:37 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
whew...there's no air in here...all the excitement...

settle down guys...don't forget to breathe......

Nope...not gettin one...no way no how uh-uh. Not gonna do it.

(yeahh. Right.)

Bud, panting Bud
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Old Aug 19, 2010, 06:41 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,412 Posts
Battery connector:

What's your impression about the battery connector (from the videos). Look like your standard UM connector???

I kind of like the typical red JST for 2S and Dean for 3S and above. Running about 3 amps through a UM connector is pushing it in my book (I think they are rated 2amps max!). And sure enough, we will want to experiment with different propeller, so maybe pushing even more current through it. I think they should have went with the JST even if it's heavier. Also a good standard in 2S batteries so third party would have been a direct fit.

Good news from one of the video: They will also have 180mah battery. Maybe there's more room that it look in those videos. Crossing fingers that my 200mah (but with JST) fit!
Old Aug 19, 2010, 06:49 PM
Joined Aug 2008
567 Posts
You could probably make an adapter fairly easily.
helidude22 is offline Find More Posts by helidude22
Old Aug 19, 2010, 06:51 PM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,652 Posts
Looks like a microT type connector to me http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/car...ry-Pack__6dac/

I will have to make an adapter also, or just chop off that connector and add one of my JST's

My way of judging plugs:

1s: Micro JST
2s: JST
3/4s: XT60
Anything more: Large bullets
Bowerz is offline Find More Posts by Bowerz
Old Aug 19, 2010, 06:54 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
I called [Horizon] and placed my order..
Just keep in mind that evidently Horizon ships to Hobby Shops (larger ones first, it appears) before they ship individual orders... so you may end up waiting while your buds who ordered from their LHS are out flying it! Ask me how I know....

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Aug 19, 2010, 06:56 PM
Foaming at the mouth..
USA, KS, Topeka
Joined Jul 2008
924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Good news from one of the video: They will also have 180mah battery. Maybe there's more room that it look in those videos. Crossing fingers that my 200mah (but with JST) fit!
I'm guessing the room comes from extra length, as it appears there is very little room to be had in the width department, and unless we replace the foam shelf with something thinner, likely little to be had in thickness because the shelf is likely over the brick..

I'm hoping we manage to figure out ways to squeeze aftermarket packs in there without having to stick to the eflites. The new 45C thunderpower 325mah 2s packs would be awesome in this bird!

~Kev
darksiede is offline Find More Posts by darksiede
Old Aug 19, 2010, 06:57 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Been thinking...

I can see HH coming out w/ the UM Beast...it is their new "flagship" signature stunt aircraft and complements the full scale and Hanger 9 versions....

But (I'm going to get raked over the coals for this) I just don't like the looks very much...I much prefer either a more sexily rakish looking biplane or a more classic look...and was really hoping for a "UM Ultimate 20-300" (especially) or maybe a Pitts S-12...

But hey...full fuse, 2 cell, brushless, six channel. This is certainly the beginning of a new era in UM...I'm already thinking of my 4Site w/ a bit of nostalgia.....lol!

Bud, nostalgic Bud
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Old Aug 19, 2010, 07:02 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
Just keep in mind that evidently Horizon ships to Hobby Shops (larger ones first, it appears) before they ship individual orders... so you may end up waiting while your buds who ordered from their LHS are out flying it! Ask me how I know....

Gene K
True... But the LHS wouldn't give me the 10 bucks for my birthday.. And they are still closed from the fire last spring.. I stopped by today and looks like next month before they are opened again.

I don't need to be the first one to fly it.. For me waiting for the mailman to come is the best part of ordering stuff... Got my new batteries from HK today.. Just a little over 6 weeks to get them..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Aug 19, 2010, 07:13 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,279 Posts
Do the servos on the board plug in without soldering? It looks like the wires stay on the board instead of crossing over.
Cheese5 is offline Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Aug 19, 2010, 07:15 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowerz View Post
Looks like a microT type connector to me http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/car...ry-Pack__6dac/

I will have to make an adapter also, or just chop off that connector and add one of my JST's

My way of judging plugs:

1s: Micro JST
2s: JST
3/4s: XT60
Anything more: Large bullets
Adapter will likely be the way to go, but that's extra weight....
Another interesting fact: Nowhere did I saw a balancing connector on their 2S batteries... Saving weight is ok, but not by loosing the balancing connector. No matter how good their charger is, I would always worry about having a fully charged battery at 8.4V, but with 4.6V on one cell and 3.8V on the other. Kaboom....

I always like a list with the XT60 instead of Dean. People (like me) used Deans because that was the best before the XT60. Now that all their planes and batteries are Deans, they keep using them. I'm jealous when I see people using XT60!
Old Aug 19, 2010, 07:17 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Battery connector:

What's your impression about the battery connector (from the videos). Look like your standard UM connector???

I kind of like the typical red JST for 2S and Dean for 3S and above. Running about 3 amps through a UM connector is pushing it in my book (I think they are rated 2amps max!). And sure enough, we will want to experiment with different propeller, so maybe pushing even more current through it. I think they should have went with the JST even if it's heavier. Also a good standard in 2S batteries so third party would have been a direct fit.

Chop chop, fizz fizz, Micro Deans and done.

rc

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1141543
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2010, 07:26 PM
London, England
Joined Apr 2007
197 Posts
Finally a brushless UM perhaps the floodgates have opened and we can all expect many more planes like this one. Being based in the UK will mean I won't get to see this for ages and I really want one, come on the rest of you companies let's have more like this and did anyone mention a twin of some sort?? Or Ducted fan?? I just had to build my own from balsa and solarfilm, uses a unit giving 130g of thrust but weighs 150g please can someone sort out a foam UM D/F it is so possible and I am sure there would be people queing around the block, Thanks
pilatus mike is offline Find More Posts by pilatus mike
Old Aug 19, 2010, 08:28 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,279 Posts
Making a list of why to buy the UMX beast:
BL micro
AR6400LBL
Scale detail
3D >1:1 ratio
LG
Anyting else?