HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:25 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
3,162 Posts
Just an update about my lost Beast in the tree...
I found her this morning on the damp grass under the tree.
Wings broken and ripped. lost the battery hood.
a couple of the carbon wire rigging things broke.
But the rest of her and all of the Electronics seem to be in order.
I haven't checked the TP 325mah bat that was in there all this time but I'm assuming it's toast.

Is there a way to revive a dead battery? That little thing was almost $20.
I ordered a new wing and hatch will do the my best to get my Beast back in the air.
Does anyone know if the wing replacement part comes with rigging?
Thanks all.
ChinoDiablo is offline Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:50 PM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo View Post
Just an update about my lost Beast in the tree...
I found her this morning on the damp grass under the tree.
Wings broken and ripped. lost the battery hood.
a couple of the carbon wire rigging things broke.
But the rest of her and all of the Electronics seem to be in order.
I haven't checked the TP 325mah bat that was in there all this time but I'm assuming it's toast.

Is there a way to revive a dead battery? That little thing was almost $20.
I ordered a new wing and hatch will do the my best to get my Beast back in the air.
Does anyone know if the wing replacement part comes with rigging?
Thanks all.
Since I just completely rebuilt a beast (only thing from the old were the brick, aileron servos, and the elevator/rudder pushrods) I can tell you definitively that yes, the Wing set comes with the carbon rods and plastic joiners to glue them to. You don't need to buy the carbon rod set.
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:05 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
Since I just completely rebuilt a beast (only thing from the old were the brick, aileron servos, and the elevator/rudder pushrods) I can tell you definitively that yes, the Wing set comes with the carbon rods and plastic joiners to glue them to. You don't need to buy the carbon rod set.
How long did it take?
I'm just re-attaching new wings.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:17 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Chino,

Glad to hear that you got her back, albeit not in the best condition.

Never attempt to recover an over-discharged LiPo. There is no method that works, and attempting to recharge/recover an over-discharged LiPo is extremely dangerous. Also, over-discharged LiPos can be unstable. If one or both cells are puffy, do not even bring the pack into your house.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:01 AM
Joined May 2012
8,737 Posts
Quote:
How long did it take?
I'm just re-attaching new wings.
If I had to add it all up I would say it took 4-5 hours, but I work slowly and I replaced everything-moved the brick and servos to a new fuse, put on new tail feathers, new wings. I did find that the carbon parts will probably need to be entirely replaced as I have no idea how to remove them from the CA in the plastic mounting channels. The two rods on either side that attach the underside of the top wing attach to the lg mount and I nearly destroyed the mount and fuse in that area trying to cut them out, and since the fuse was quite bashed anyways (had 4 layers of tape holding it together!) I decided to go get a new fuse and do a complete rebuild. It looks fantastic now except lhs only had beast v1 tail surfaces so I have a silver beast with as3x and gold trim on the empennage

If anyone has a tip for chino in how to get those rods out of the plastic channels, please help because I'd like to know as well for future reference.

~Ben
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:47 AM
Joined May 2012
8,737 Posts
Here's before and after pics of the beast 3d: In the original pic, it's hard to see how much damage and glue there is all over the fuse and wings, plus the warped elevator that I couldn't quite get straightened out even with heat applied. It was creased in 5 or 6 places as well.

Just for S&G's can someone tell me how much your beast weighs WITH a 180mah pack in it?

~Ben

Edit: once again, apple iPhone pictures turn out upside down unless you hold the phone in a particular orientation with the shutter button counterintuitively on the bottom of the phone. A-hole apple. Sorry.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bhoov128; Feb 17, 2013 at 10:47 AM. Reason: picture apology
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:13 AM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,598 Posts
Quote:
If I had to add it all up I would say it took 4-5 hours, but I work slowly and I replaced everything-moved the brick and servos to a new fuse, put on new tail feathers, new wings. I did find that the carbon parts will probably need to be entirely replaced as I have no idea how to remove them from the CA in the plastic mounting channels. The two rods on either side that attach the underside of the top wing attach to the lg mount and I nearly destroyed the mount and fuse in that area trying to cut them out, and since the fuse was quite bashed anyways (had 4 layers of tape holding it together!) I decided to go get a new fuse and do a complete rebuild. It looks fantastic now except lhs only had beast v1 tail surfaces so I have a silver beast with as3x and gold trim on the empennage

If anyone has a tip for chino in how to get those rods out of the plastic channels, please help because I'd like to know as well for future reference.

~Ben

Ben,

Best ca debonder that I've found?
Cyberbond UNDO 6020.
http://www.cyberbond1.com/pd.undo.6020.aspx

Nitromethane based.
Never been a problem with plastics.
Give it time to work.
Would probably attack foam.
Don't remember where I purchased my 2 oz bottle.

----------------

AUW of my Beast3D w/BB Hyp (2S) 180?
71g

Had to dig out that batt.
Been flying Hyp (3S) 180s in her for over a year now.

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:25 AM
Joined May 2012
8,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Ben,

Best ca debonder that I've found?
Cyberbond UNDO 6020.
http://www.cyberbond1.com/pd.undo.6020.aspx

Nitromethane based.
Never been a problem with plastics.
Give it time to work.
Would probably attack foam.
Don't remember where I purchased my 2 oz bottle.

----------------

AUW of my Beast3D w/BB Hyp (2S) 180?
71g

Had to dig out that batt.
Been flying Hyp (3S) 180s in her for over a year now.

rc
Thank you sir! Mine weighs in a 71g also, must have done a good job I used mainly foam-tac for the foam bits and CA for the carbon pieces. Didn't know about de-bonder, that's a great tip! I'll see if the LHS has some, because with the rods that attach the ailerons I had quite a bit of trouble getting them as absolutely square as possible. You don't get a second chance (unless you have debonder ) to get those right.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:42 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3,162 Posts
Thanks for the pics.
The wing will arrive from HH in about a week or so which should be enough time for me to mentally take it apart and put it back together.

I was ready to put the Beast to sleep but it's just the wing assembly that needs replacement, I figure I can spend the $20 to do it. Oh and $5 for the battery cowl as well.
I'll Shoot all of the servos with Deoxit Fader lube when finished.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:42 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,598 Posts
Poor Joel has been buried in snow for a few months now.
Flew 'proxy style' for him today!
I've watched virtually every vid he has posted, so I know his flying style well.

Brought both my 3S powered Beast 3D & my Edge QQ to the field.
Winds were 7~10mph and steady but wind directions would change often.

Had some fun with the Edge but conditions like that don't bring out the best in her.

Pulled out the Beast and stuck with her the rest of the afternoon.
She is simply spectacular in 5~10 mph winds, especially with that much power!
Love landing her crosswind!
Had some super slow slide slip landings that made me giggle.
Such a knife-edge dream machine as well.

I love when spectators come over, after I land, to see the plane up close.
They are always in disbelief that a plane so light & small can fly like that.
AS3X & 3S power really make her shine!!

My B3D integrated timer shows 29 hours.
I always set my timer for 5 min flights and only fly Hyp (3S) 180s.
I'm somewhere in the 325 flight mark.
Hoping for another 325!!

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:51 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,648 Posts
Both of my spring/summer loves (flying and my Miata) have been in the garage since November, if not earlier
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:25 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Poor Joel has been buried in snow for a few months now.

Flew 'proxy style' for him today!

rc
RC,

Thanks!

29 hrs on 3s, 'eh? That is impressive! I'm definitely not there yet. But then your flying season is a wee bit longer than ours.

It is truly amazing that this little chunk of foam & microelectronics can handle 200% power for hundreds of flights with no trouble at all. Wish I could fly it in the house.

This is really sucking. Temp is way up into the low 30s, but so is the wind-speed. Oh, well. Guess it's time for another spin around the living room with the MV.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:32 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,692 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the pics.
The wing will arrive from HH in about a week or so which should be enough time for me to mentally take it apart and put it back together.

I was ready to put the Beast to sleep but it's just the wing assembly that needs replacement, I figure I can spend the $20 to do it. Oh and $5 for the battery cowl as well.
I'll Shoot all of the servos with Deoxit Fader lube when finished.
Nice you got your plane back. The re-build will make it like new again, plus you can take pride in getting your plane back in the air again.
To clean out the channels that the CF rods glue into I used a very small dremel tool and very carefully routered them out.
To really help make the wing assembly stronger I used packing tape to seal up the 2 large black pieces that join top wing to bottom. They are kind of "I" shaped. They are so weak that I bent one just trying to glue and so the packing tape on both sides like laminating a document or map.
Mentally...looking at the rebuild was a bit much while I waited for the parts. Once you get going though it wasn't bad at all. One big tip I remember though was that I wished I'd installed the servo control horns before I glued the wings up as I darn near creased the wing trying to snap the horns in last. Takes quite a bit of very nimble pressure to snap the upper and lower horn part together. Way easier before everything is delicately glued back together.
Good luck and don't breath too much glue fumes, it will catch up with you.
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:01 PM
Joined May 2012
8,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
Nice you got your plane back. The re-build will make it like new again, plus you can take pride in getting your plane back in the air again.
To clean out the channels that the CF rods glue into I used a very small dremel tool and very carefully routered them out.
To really help make the wing assembly stronger I used packing tape to seal up the 2 large black pieces that join top wing to bottom. They are kind of "I" shaped. They are so weak that I bent one just trying to glue and so the packing tape on both sides like laminating a document or map.
Mentally...looking at the rebuild was a bit much while I waited for the parts. Once you get going though it wasn't bad at all. One big tip I remember though was that I wished I'd installed the servo control horns before I glued the wings up as I darn near creased the wing trying to snap the horns in last. Takes quite a bit of very nimble pressure to snap the upper and lower horn part together. Way easier before everything is delicately glued back together.
Good luck and don't breath too much glue fumes, it will catch up with you.
Mike
Servo horns were the very first things I installed. shastamike's right. Don't wait on those, you have to apply quite a bit of pressure to get them seated right. Needlenose will help you here to clamp the backer onto the opposite side of the horn. I may go back and do something to reinforce those wing struts as well. Might not be needed, it seems really solid once it's all glued and the carbon rods are in place.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:09 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,648 Posts
Quote:
Servo horns were the very first things I installed. shastamike's right. Don't wait on those, you have to apply quite a bit of pressure to get them seated right. Needlenose will help you here to clamp the backer onto the opposite side of the horn. I may go back and do something to reinforce those wing struts as well. Might not be needed, it seems really solid once it's all glued and the carbon rods are in place.
Do it!! Those interplane struts break with even the lightest of impacts. I added a CF strip to the inside and packing tape. I doubt it'll ever break now.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon