Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:01 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,014 Posts
OR some kite string and a tennis ball thrown over the branch, then use the string to fish a cord or rope if more strength is needed for shaking the branch...
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:05 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
2,747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
do you have a long pole? straighten a wire coat hanger shoulder curves but leave the hook, duct tape it to the pole, and try to hook onto it to pull it down, unless it's hundreds of feet in the air
It's about 25 ft up.
The tree is too spindly for a ladder and my pruning pole thing is too short.
It's gonna rain buckets very soon and I'm at work (working like a dog, of course).
The Beast is going to die a cold and wet death in a lot wind and rain.
Unless I get really lucky.
ChinoDiablo is offline Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:13 PM
Deutschland, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Wuppertal
Joined Apr 2011
177 Posts
Get a second plane and crash it into the same place to kick your beast out of the tree!

Joke apart, i hope you get your beast back without damage!
Strassenkater is online now Find More Posts by Strassenkater
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:20 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo View Post
It's about 25 ft up.
It's gonna rain buckets very soon and I'm at work (working like a dog, of course).
A pool cleaning pole (borrow one from a neighbour with a pool if you have too) is about 20ft when fully extended. So, as long as you're 5 feet tall, it should be ok. Simply use tape to stick a clothe hanger on the end, and that's it. If you need more lenght, you can add a broom stick (tape again), giving you an extra 4 feet­.

Rush it, because if you take too much time, the battery will die and your board may act funny after (ex: Servo reversal). Board is fixable, but battery will be dead. Cast over tree/branch, grab weight, and yank everything. You may end up being able to say that with your fishing pole, you finally got a beast!

If you have a fishing pole, you can simply put some big weight at the end of the line, instead of a hook, and cast away.... good practice too for casting!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:29 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,569 Posts
CD,

Sure makes ya wonder why these helpful guys seem to have sooo much knowledge in plane rescue techniques???

Sorry about your Beast!

If I ever lose mine it will be instantly replaced!

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:41 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,638 Posts
You guys are running 3S on stock electronics?
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:54 PM
United States, FL, Eustis
Joined Oct 2012
431 Posts
Are you a member of a church? Do they have light bulbs that need to be changed that are really high up? They likely have a pole that will reach high enough to do that. You might ask if you can borrow it. If not a church then any group that has a large building with lights that are high up. The first time I flew an RC plane I put one way up in a tree at my church. That was how I got it down.

Good luck
AustinG is offline Find More Posts by AustinG
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:02 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
You haven't been around long, have you? I kid, I kid... yes, we are. It's an amazing thing discovered long ago. Varying things have to be done to cool the ESC from nothing at all (for those lucky few) to opening up airflow vents (for a few more lucky ones) to sticking a little heat sink on the ESC's FETs (almost everyone) to absolutely nothing will make it work (for an unfortunate few... very few).
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:05 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
I didn't know that you're running 3s with that combo! (I updated my post.) Bet she wails like a banshee at WOT! Have you measured the static RPM on that monster?

Joel
I don't have a tach, so unfortunately no.

It does scream on 3S

Even on 2S It honestly feels like the stock(2500kv + 5x2.75) setup on 3S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
CD,

Sure makes ya wonder why these helpful guys seem to have sooo much knowledge in plane rescue techniques???

Sorry about your Beast!

If I ever lose mine it will be instantly replaced!

rc
Just call RG, I hear he is an expert at removing Beasts from trees!
Cough..Cough...3:00min mark
UMX Beast in the snow (9 min 38 sec)

Quote:
Yes, most brick handle it just fine, A few are picky and need additional cooling.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:08 PM
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
701 Posts
A buddy of mine always has his "plane retrieval kit" when he flys. Seems his planes are very attracted to trees. What he uses is a spool of 20lbs test fishing line, about a 2 to 3 ounce lead fishing weight, and a slingshot. He ties the lead weight to the fishing line and then uses the slingshot to hurl the weight up and over the offending tree limb. Normally the lead weight is heavy enough to to loop over the branch and make it's way to the ground leaving the fishing line looped over the limb. He's pretty good with this technique as he can get a plane out of just about any tree.
ForsheeMS is offline Find More Posts by ForsheeMS
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:17 PM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,366 Posts
Quote:
It's about 25 ft up.
You're at work.... man, you look really pale. I think you're getting sick. You should probably take the rest of the afternoon off. Feel better!
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:40 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
You haven't been around long, have you? I kid, I kid... yes, we are. It's an amazing thing discovered long ago. Varying things have to be done to cool the ESC from nothing at all (for those lucky few) to opening up airflow vents (for a few more lucky ones) to sticking a little heat sink on the ESC's FETs (almost everyone) to absolutely nothing will make it work (for an unfortunate few... very few).
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Yes, most brick handle it just fine, A few are picky and need additional cooling.
Sorry...I am new to this plane. It's my first BL UMX plane (I've got two Su-26XP's sitting in the garage waiting for me at home ). I was just curious because I knew I was going to have to get completely new lipos (other than my 1s and larger 3s batts), and I was just trying to figure out what I was going to get.
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:35 PM
Joined Dec 2012
308 Posts
Quote:
It's about 25 ft up.
Too spindly? Sounds like something that can be replaced easily. In fact, it's never looked too healthy... it probably needs to be replaced by a healthier tree.

Alternatively, offer the local kids $10 for the one who can get it out of the tree without climbing the tree, sawing the tree, or harming the plane. You'll get a lot of ingenuity and sheer sticktoitiveness for $10 ...

Don't give up on the Beast. I have a friend who had a plane (different type) spend 4 months in a tree, and when he got it back it was in "okay" condition. It was easy to repair and get back in the air. I think most of the servos still worked, the esc and rcvr worked, the battery and the brushless was shot, and the foam was okay. Apart from abrasion marks where the moving branches had slowly rubbed holes in the decals and such it didn't look that much worse for the experience. Flyable, but not "braggable".

Good luck to you and your Beast.

Dan
Ad_Astra is offline Find More Posts by Ad_Astra
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:20 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,636 Posts
Quote:
Oh, yeah! C'mon in! The water's fine!

I have hundreds of 3s flights on my Beast 3D and I only flew my Sbach 3s on 2s for the maiden. Both with stock bricks. Never had an issue, except for the time when I induced OTP on purpose in the B3D on a 105 F day by doing repeated 300' vertical climbs @ WOT. Got my first taste of what it's like to deadstick a concrete block. From around 100' AGL, I barely made it back to the runway, just 75' away!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:58 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,569 Posts
Joel,

We just finished a solid week of 'Spring like' conditions in Twin.
Been flying like an addict!

Forgot to turn on my transmitter timer on a 3S B3D flight.
Got lost in flight.

On a WOT fly-by, the dreaded motor pulsing hit.
Had about 2 sec to make my landing decision...

Greased a down-wind beauty on my narrow strip.
The motor was pulsing just enough to not be dead-stick.
Got very lucky!

80% discharge rule??

Rule broken.

Good times in Twin!!

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member