Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:44 PM
MJF
Waiting Fer Da SEFF
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2010
1,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Spoken like one who hasn't flown the new B3D to see how much it really does help the plane...

-Brian
Hit da Nail On Da HeAd u DiD SiR
MJF is offline Find More Posts by MJF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: got another plane
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:51 PM
MJF
Waiting Fer Da SEFF
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2010
1,319 Posts
Been thinking of getting the ass system either the beast or sbach....but......I already have both in V1....so idk.....
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:17 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJF View Post
Been thinking of getting the ass system either the beast or sbach....but......I already have both in V1....so idk.....
So you have an opportunity to buy a new plane! If you have to pick one, I think most fall for the Beast, though the Sbach is very precise. The Beast is just plane fun and has very nice low-speed manners.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:33 PM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
9,079 Posts
Quote:
Is this ass system sold by the p90x people? Or is it autocorrect that's making me chuckle?
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:40 AM
MJF
Waiting Fer Da SEFF
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2010
1,319 Posts
Guy that works at LHS started to call the as3x the ass system when it first came out is all.....So now we all call it the ass system as well.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:51 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskee View Post
Joel were you using stock prop? You may have mentioned in video, but my internet feed was spotty.
Huskee,

I used a 5030 on the 2500Kv motor in the Beast 3D & a 5043 on the 2300Kv motor in the V1 Beast. Packs were Hyp 240 Babbelbatts. I now run the 2300/5043 combo in the Beast 3D. You get a significant bump in thrust & top-speed, along with longer flights. On 3s, the plane handles 25-30 MPH winds with ease.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:08 AM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
3,347 Posts
Quote:
Guy that works at LHS started to call the as3x the ass system when it first came out is all.....So now we all call it the ass system as well.
Really?
What does he call the BNF system?
ChinoDiablo is offline Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ChinoDiablo; Feb 02, 2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:53 PM
Joined Dec 2012
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Why y'all do without one of the most important tools in the trade is beyond me. Just get a friggin' prop balancer already!
Hi, Dan DeNoob here... I found this thread while looking through the 500+ hits while searching for "how to balance a prop". This forum needs a better search engine.

Could somebody give me one or more URLs to the various methods for balancing props? I'd like to start cheap and work my way up the expense ladder as the budget allows.

Thanks
Dan
Ad_Astra is offline Find More Posts by Ad_Astra
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:29 PM
Joined Dec 2010
7,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad_Astra View Post
Hi, Dan DeNoob here... I found this thread while looking through the 500+ hits while searching for "how to balance a prop". This forum needs a better search engine.

Could somebody give me one or more URLs to the various methods for balancing props? I'd like to start cheap and work my way up the expense ladder as the budget allows.

Thanks
Dan
I use this. Inly $20: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHY61
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:46 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad_Astra View Post

Thanks
Dan
Dan , I use one of these that I got at my LHS . After mounting the prop to it , I set it on the rims of two drinking glasses for the least amount of friction . Then add a little scotch tape or CA to the high blade until the blades are level .

http://rcflyer.com.au/shop/catalog/p...c634e5bdd8f162

Also , for doing a search I use Google , and then look at the results for RC Groups .

Al
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:54 PM
Joined Dec 2010
7,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon View Post
Dan , I use one of these that I got at my LHS . After mounting the prop to it , I set it on the rims of two drinking glasses for the least amount of friction . ...
Just make sure the drinking glasses are level. A balancer like this likes to roll down the slightest incline and throw your results off.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:00 PM
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
736 Posts
Dan, the magnetic balancer erkq posted the link to is the best balancer you can buy for these smaller props. I have it for the small props and a Dubro balancer for the larger props. The magnetic balancer has nearly zero friction but before you begin you have to make sure the balancer shaft and the 2 cones that hold the prop are balanced. Once you have that done you can perfectly balance these props.

To balance the prop, I use clear spray paint on the light blade. Hold the can way back from the prop and hit it with a light fog. It doesn't take much so go easy at first until you get a feel for it. Once the blades are equal you may notice that there is a heavy side on the hub itself. For this I use CA followed by a little kicker to set it on the light side of the hub. Once the prop is completely balanced you should be able to set the prop in any position on the balancer and when you let go of it it should not turn.

These props are cheap so get a balancer and a handful of props and go at it. It takes a little trial and error to get it right but it's not hard at all.
ForsheeMS is offline Find More Posts by ForsheeMS
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:04 PM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
9,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo View Post
Really?
What does he call the BNF system?
Bahahaha you completely just guttered my mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon View Post
Dan , I use one of these that I got at my LHS . After mounting the prop to it , I set it on the rims of two drinking glasses for the least amount of friction . Then add a little scotch tape or CA to the high blade until the blades are level .

http://rcflyer.com.au/shop/catalog/p...c634e5bdd8f162

Also , for doing a search I use Google , and then look at the results for RC Groups .

Al
For clarification here use the following syntax: balancing a prop site:rcgroups.com
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:26 PM
United States, OR, Sherwood
Joined Jan 2009
289 Posts
Motor quits on 3S

I have about 40 flights on my Beast 3D using 3S. All has been fine until today. When I plug in the battery, it loads up with the usual beeps and the control/motor all work normal. Full throttle while holding the plane is OK.

However, when flying, after it lifts off, about 15 yrd out, the motor quits and control surfaces work like it hit LVC. I did several range tests and the motor drops out intermittenly. I checked the batts, they are fully charged. I also flew my Sback UM on the same batteries and radio, all was OK.

Is this a failure mode for the brick from using 3S????
JJ460 is offline Find More Posts by JJ460
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:16 PM
Joined Dec 2010
7,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ460 View Post
I have about 40 flights on my Beast 3D using 3S. All has been fine until today. When I plug in the battery, it loads up with the usual beeps and the control/motor all work normal. Full throttle while holding the plane is OK.

However, when flying, after it lifts off, about 15 yrd out, the motor quits and control surfaces work like it hit LVC. I did several range tests and the motor drops out intermittenly. I checked the batts, they are fully charged. I also flew my Sback UM on the same batteries and radio, all was OK.

Is this a failure mode for the brick from using 3S????
Yes. Have you put a heat sink on the FET's yet? Or, opened up cooling holes? It the weather warmer today than before?