SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:07 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsheeMS View Post
I've got both the Dubro Tru Spin and the Top Flite magnetic balancers. IMO the Top Flite is much better for the smaller props as it has nearly no friction and will show even the slightest out of balance.
Is there a smaller diameter shaft for the magnetic balancer? I have that balancer and it has worked great for the UMX props but some of the props I use on the 540QQ have a shaft hole that's too small for this balancer's shaft.

(In reading this it sounds vaguely... um... vague... sorry, unintentional. But I don't know how else to express my question.)
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:23 PM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,476 Posts
I wasn't serious, I was being a smart-ass. I have the top-flite magnetic balancer as well. Do they sell smaller shafts/rubber holders for the thing? My shaft is too fat to fit through a lot of the mini props I have for these UM planes.

Edit: Sorry - not quite sure how I completely missed erkq's exact same question..... oops!
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:20 PM
United States, FL, Eustis
Joined Oct 2012
431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
No... he meant what he wrote. He just uses tape for the final balance based on guesstimates back and forth. Honestly, the guys on this forum (and many others) are so hap-hazard about prop balancing... And you aren't much better, with your freaking screw driver!

Why y'all do without one of the most important tools in the trade is beyond me. Just get a friggin' prop balancer already!

EDIT: Oh, except Kalmon... Kalmon has a prop balancer, it appears...
Lol, the point was that there was quite a bit left out of the process for the person who hadn't tried to balance a prop before. I have young kids so I use what is available as their stuff seems to overrun the house. The screwdriver is probably better than the eyeball test I use to make sure things are level.

Speaking of using the wrong tool. Yesterday while out flying my Beast, I tried to mechanically adjust the trim on one of the ailerons while out flying by using my fingers. Pulled the servo off and seperated the control horn from the aileron, leaving only a hole where it was before.

My three year old has a phrase he uses all too often. "I accidently broke something." That was me yesterday afternoon.
AustinG is offline Find More Posts by AustinG
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:09 PM
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
732 Posts
Quote:
Is there a smaller diameter shaft for the magnetic balancer? I have that balancer and it has worked great for the UMX props but some of the props I use on the 540QQ have a shaft hole that's too small for this balancer's shaft.

(In reading this it sounds vaguely... um... vague... sorry, unintentional. But I don't know how else to express my question.)
I ream the hole in the 7035 prop for the 540QQ. The shaft the comes with the balancer is 1/8" diameter, just barley too big to go in the prop. Because I ream the prop I wrap teflon tape around the prop adapter shaft only where the prop sits to make it fit snug again.

The other option is to buy a 3mm drill blank and turn the ends down but to use that you would also nee to make a set of cones to fit. I've found it much easier to open the prop up a little.

Not only does balancing the prop take out unwanted flutter on AS3x planes, it also makes any plane fly better and make less noise. I've even started balancing motors.
ForsheeMS is online now Find More Posts by ForsheeMS
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:15 PM
MJF
Waiting Fer Da SEFF
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2010
1,319 Posts
Well flew mine again.....Been sitting in closet weay to long....great little stock machine
MJF is offline Find More Posts by MJF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: got another plane
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:17 AM
Too much is just not enough...
Joined Jan 2009
1,038 Posts
Quote:

If you can find music wire that is a snug fit, then you can cut a length to fit between the magnets. Grind the ends a little to make a tip.
I then us some silicone tubing on either side of the prop to hold it, similar to how the cones work.
Trick is to find wire the correct size so it fits true in the prop.
Tip of spraying a little clear on the light side works well.

I do this for micro heli blades too.
Woody_99 is offline Find More Posts by Woody_99
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:02 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltreato View Post
One thing I accidentally discovered was that if I didnt' download the Beast profile before uploading the settings to my brick, my simpler settings would upload but without AS3X stabilization. In effect I accidentally disabled AS3X then brought it back when I redownloaded the Beast profile. I've seen mention on this thread about people wanting the option to disable it, it's just too bad it can't really be done without chopping up the Beast to get at the brick then messing around for ages putting the brick into the correct mode for uploading profiles.
Can you go into a bit more detail on this please?

After reprogramming my spitfire brick I lost my as3x capability and cant seem to restore it

EDIT: I got my AS3X to function again. Because Im in germany on a german computer the region was set to germany, duh! In the german numerical system they use ',' instead of '.', this somehow corrupted the model config files, so I had to change the region to Australia where full stops are full stops and commas are commas. After reprogramming it under the australian region the AS3X now works again.

This is actually handy to know if you want to turn the AS3X off. I have seen many people ask if you can turn it off to which the answers were a resounding NO!

BUT.... If you change your region to Germany (Control panel / region and language) and attempt to program your receiver it will remove the AS3X functionality. Then to restore it you simply change your region back to where you actually come from and reprogram it again.
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Last edited by valiantGLX; Jan 30, 2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:23 PM
MJF
Waiting Fer Da SEFF
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2010
1,319 Posts
The ass system is what it is and nothing more or less ...imo

I stick with the good ol V1 Beasty
MJF is offline Find More Posts by MJF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: got another plane
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:14 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJF View Post

Spoken like one who hasn't flown the new B3D to see how much it really does help the plane...

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:37 PM
Joined Nov 2009
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJF View Post

To each his own, but I can easily fly (and have a lot of fun with) my AS3X Beast in winds where I would have left my V1 at home. The V1 is fun, and I like it, but it does not do so well in the wind.
Sky Writer is offline Find More Posts by Sky Writer
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:41 PM
Huskee
Joined Aug 2012
9 Posts
Doing a wing set replacement and looking for any helpful hints, or obstacles to look out for. Plan on using original carbon rod sets since all are intact.
Huskee is offline Find More Posts by Huskee
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:56 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskee View Post
Doing a wing set replacement and looking for any helpful hints, or obstacles to look out for. Plan on using original carbon rod sets since all are intact.
I built a complete plane from parts...Tedious and takes patience!!!..Take your time and dry fit before you glue to ensure a straight plane...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:05 AM
United States, FL, Eustis
Joined Oct 2012
431 Posts
+1 on the comments in favor of the Beast3d. I have been flying it regularly this past week despite the 20 mph winds. The interesting parts are it taking off at slower than walking speed and attempting to taxi the plane to me and having it take off again. The performance in the air is amazingly smooth despite the amount of wind. I can't imagine that being the case with the AS3X.
AustinG is offline Find More Posts by AustinG
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:28 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,797 Posts
For those who may have missed it - here's my back-to-back comparison of the V1B & B3D in a gusty 9-16 MPH wind. It's pretty obvious which plane does better in the wind. What's not so obvious is the difference in workload. I was all over the sticks to keep the V1 in a relatively large box. White-knuckle flying at its finest! In contrast, I could keep the B3D in a much smaller box with a lot less stick-rowing. I actually find flying the B3D in anything under a 20 MPH wind to be quite relaxing. At 25 MPH, things start to get fun!

UMX Beast 3D vs Beast V1 in the wind (17 min 4 sec)

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:12 PM
Huskee
Joined Aug 2012
9 Posts
Joel were you using stock prop? You may have mentioned in video, but my internet feed was spotty.
Huskee is offline Find More Posts by Huskee