HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:07 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Are you talking about random twitching or is it the gyro making corrections? I assume this is the 3D model with the gyro. Also when you first plug in the aircraft to a battery keep it still so the gyro can get configured correctly.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:04 AM
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Combs View Post
I just purchased a UMX beast and I am getting twitching in the ailerons when in level flight. Has anyone had that problem?

Dale
If it's the AS3x equipped beast your prop and/or spinner is most likely out of balance. Doesn't take much vibration at all to throw the gyros off. When you say twitching in level flight do you mean almost as if you are quickly shifting the ailerons left to right?
ForsheeMS is online now Find More Posts by ForsheeMS
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:44 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsheeMS View Post
If it's the AS3x equipped beast your prop and/or spinner is most likely out of balance. Doesn't take much vibration at all to throw the gyros off. When you say twitching in level flight do you mean almost as if you are quickly shifting the ailerons left to right?
+1 Check this as well plug in the battery but keep the throttle off. Move the ailerons both ways. Are they smooth, when the stick is released to they "hunt" for center or just snap back? If they snap back and stay there the wobble in flight is gyro induced due to an out of balance prop/spinner. You can usually dynamically balance these props easily by using small pieces of tape. Just hold the plane in your hand and run the motor. place a piece of tape on one blade and run the motor again. If it got better that is the correct blade, if it got worse switch the tape to the other blade. repeat until it is smooth.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:22 AM
United States, FL, Eustis
Joined Oct 2012
421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
+1 Check this as well plug in the battery but keep the throttle off. Move the ailerons both ways. Are they smooth, when the stick is released to they "hunt" for center or just snap back? If they snap back and stay there the wobble in flight is gyro induced due to an out of balance prop/spinner. You can usually dynamically balance these props easily by using small pieces of tape. Just hold the plane in your hand and run the motor. place a piece of tape on one blade and run the motor again. If it got better that is the correct blade, if it got worse switch the tape to the other blade. repeat until it is smooth.

-Brian
I think you are missing a step since putting tape on one end or the other won't balance it. The tape is so you can tell which side of the propeller needs to be sanded down a little. I assume that you knew that, but if someone read it who didn't know how you actually balanced the prop they might be confused.

Personally I just use a screwdriver. Insert the propeller over the screwdriver(should be as tight a fit as possible that allows it to rotate) that is held or set on something that is horizontal. Does the propeller move when released? If one end always ends up pointing down no matter where you start it then that is the end that needs to be sanded because it is heavier than the other end. A "balanced" prop is one that is symmetric enough that it won't cause excessive vibrations.
AustinG is offline Find More Posts by AustinG
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:39 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Actually a lot of us use tape to weight the light end enough to balance the prop. Add weight versus removing some, same effect.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:42 AM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinG View Post
I think you are missing a step since putting tape on one end or the other won't balance it. The tape is so you can tell which side of the propeller needs to be sanded down a little. I assume that you knew that, but if someone read it who didn't know how you actually balanced the prop they might be confused.

Personally I just use a screwdriver. Insert the propeller over the screwdriver(should be as tight a fit as possible that allows it to rotate) that is held or set on something that is horizontal. Does the propeller move when released? If one end always ends up pointing down no matter where you start it then that is the end that needs to be sanded because it is heavier than the other end. A "balanced" prop is one that is symmetric enough that it won't cause excessive vibrations.
Yes that could be the process if you remove the prop and spinner, however you can get really close by just adding a very small piece of tape to the back side of the prop. Preferably closer to the hub. Just put the tape on, run the motor and hold the plane near the nose and feel the vibrations. This is the quick and dirty method but it works fairly well in this scale.
I personally use GWS5030 props on mine so I prebalance them on my Dubro Prop balancer

They are always out of balance out of the package... If they are close I sand the heavy side. If they are really off balance I'll add a square piece of tape right next to the hub on the light side, then sand to fine tune.

-Brian
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:44 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinG View Post

No... he meant what he wrote. He just uses tape for the final balance based on guesstimates back and forth. Honestly, the guys on this forum (and many others) are so hap-hazard about prop balancing... And you aren't much better, with your freaking screw driver!

Why y'all do without one of the most important tools in the trade is beyond me. Just get a friggin' prop balancer already!

EDIT: Oh, except Kalmon... Kalmon has a prop balancer, it appears...
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:47 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
ERKQ - So I shouldn't tell you about my T-Pin taped to the top of aerosol can that use as a trusty prop balancer then.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:50 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
ERKQ - So I shouldn't tell you about my T-Pin taped to the top of aerosol can that use as a trusty prop balancer then.
Har... you guys are so bad... hey, whatever works!
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:51 AM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Why y'all do without one of the most important tools in the trade is beyond me. Just get a friggin' prop balancer already!
They make one for props that small?
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:07 AM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
They make one for props that small?
Yeah I use this one: Dubro TruSpin <--Link to tower catalog

Works great!

-Brian
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:35 AM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,561 Posts
Tape to balance a prop????

Inconceivable!

Yes, I use a balancer.
Day off.
Batts charged.
I feel the need!!!

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:39 AM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,280 Posts
Wait, what's prop balancing?
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:48 AM
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
699 Posts
I've got both the Dubro Tru Spin and the Top Flite magnetic balancers. IMO the Top Flite is much better for the smaller props as it has nearly no friction and will show even the slightest out of balance.

For balancing a prop, I use clear spray paint on the light blade and use CA on the prop hub when it's out of balance. I agree with Brian that the GWS are always out of balance. The props I see either have a #1 or #2 molded into one of the blades. The #1's always seem to be out od balance worse than the #2's.
ForsheeMS is online now Find More Posts by ForsheeMS
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:52 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,086 Posts
Bro Hoof,

A prop rotates very fast, and usually one side is heavier than the other, the greater momentum of one side overpowers the other and causes vibrations, which give a gyro thousands of tiny false inputs, which is why we mount gyro boards with strips of foam, to isolate the vibration. The tape is used on the lighter blade until the powertrain is smooth.

On anything with a gyro, balancing the prop will make something fly better, much more precise and exact.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower