HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2013, 04:27 PM
United States, FL, Eustis
Joined Oct 2012
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
Sorry your plane got bashed. My Beast went through a period where I would have sworn it had a death wish. Ripped the wings up so many times I was repairing the repairs. I bought a new wing kit and rebuilt it, a bit of touch up paint and my Beast is good as new flight wise. I have more respect and better understanding of the airframe now that I have put so much time into it. Patch your plane up, take your time and get it right and you will have an awesome and custom plane!
Foam-Tac foam glue is the bomb BTW. Foam safe CA just seems so brittle, but has it's place on plastic and carbon fiber repairs.
I have a lot more strength in my wings now because I added packing tape on both sides of the black wing supports. The ones about an inch wide that go vertically from bottom wing to top. They are so fragile I bent them just gluing them on. Encased it packing tape they are much stronger.
Good luck with your re-build.
Mike
Thanks, I added CF strips to those wing supports. It seems to be going back together real nicely. You just need to do it a couple of pieces at a time. This airframe has so many pieces that are interconnected.
AustinG is offline Find More Posts by AustinG
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:47 PM
United States, VA, Culpeper
Joined Dec 2012
234 Posts
I have a new beast 3d and a new 9xr shipping out to me tomorrow! I can't wait to start flying this gorgeous little plane!
live2rc is offline Find More Posts by live2rc
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:39 AM
Australia, QLD, Qunaba
Joined Dec 2012
69 Posts
Could I get some advise on how to change the spinner on my beast 3D to that of a beast V1 I found the instructions quite vague in the users manual, does glue have to be applied ect
Dlta Nvmbr Ynkee is offline Find More Posts by Dlta Nvmbr Ynkee
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:43 AM
If it has wings it will fly...
United Kingdom, England, Birmingham
Joined Mar 2011
1,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2rc View Post
I have a new beast 3d and a new 9xr shipping out to me tomorrow! I can't wait to start flying this gorgeous little plane!
if you are using the 9xr and the orange dsm2 module make sure the expected channels out from the tx are going to the rx of the beast. if not you need to change the channel order on your tx
ckleanth is online now Find More Posts by ckleanth
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:03 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlta Nvmbr Ynkee View Post
Could I get some advise on how to change the spinner on my beast 3D to that of a beast V1 I found the instructions quite vague in the users manual, does glue have to be applied ect
Yes a small amount of foam safe CA is all that holds it on. Why change though the only difference is color.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:05 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,654 Posts
One of my friends gave me a brand new v2 Beast. Going to need to read through this thread!

Not really looking forward to buying another parallel charger, tho...Darn you HH and your proprietary charge/balance leads!
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:12 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
One of my friends gave me a brand new v2 Beast. Going to need to read through this thread!

Not really looking forward to buying another parallel charger, tho...Darn you HH and your proprietary charge/balance leads!
They're cheap! Around 10 bucks.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:22 PM
Australia, QLD, Qunaba
Joined Dec 2012
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Yes a small amount of foam safe CA is all that holds it on. Why change though the only difference is color.

-Brian
I won't change it over till I have a nose over but when I do I want it to look a little more like the full scale beast
Dlta Nvmbr Ynkee is offline Find More Posts by Dlta Nvmbr Ynkee
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:35 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlta Nvmbr Ynkee View Post
I won't change it over till I have a nose over but when I do I want it to look a little more like the full scale beast
The V1 has a much closer trim scheme. If you want you can still buy parts (fuse, wings, tail) to change it to the original red/gold/black livery. Or occasionally you see V1s up on classifieds and you could just swap the aileron servos and the brick.

-Brian
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:09 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,190 Posts
Fire & ice

For those of you who (like me) haven't had any decent Beast flying wx for awhile, here's some full-scale bipe action. Since the full-scale Beast lives no more (RIP Bryan Jensen), here are a couple of my favorite biplane pilots doing their thing to give you some maneuvers to think about on these cold winter days. Their flying styles couldn't be further apart - like fire & ice - but their abilities are second to none.

Fire:

Sean Tucker does things with a full-scale biplane that were nearly impossible for all but the highest-performance RC planes only a couple of decades ago. Brian Jensen's Beast used to be the highest-performance biplane in the world, but Sean's custom-built 1220 lb, 400 HP Challenger III (with eight ailerons!) now takes that honor. Sean practices his routine three times a day, and he works out 340+ days a year just so he can endure the extreme physical demands.

Sean Tucker aerobatics in his new Challenger III Biplane cutting ribbons at KHWY on 5/19/11 (15 min 7 sec)

Ice:

Nobody flies a Stearman like John Mohr! He does things with a bone-stock, 225 HP, 3,000-pound, two-aileron Stearman that most pilots can't do with four ailerons & 600 HP. He's right up there with Bob Hoover - and you can't get any more 'up there' than that! The kings of energy-management and stick & rudder flying.

2011 Blue Angels Homecoming Airshow - John Mohr (13 min 25 sec)

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Jan 17, 2013 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Typo
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:28 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
For those of you who (like me) haven't had any decent Beast flying wx for awhile, here's some full-scale bipe action. Since the full-scale Beast lives no more (RIP Brian Jensen), here are a couple of my favorite biplane pilots doing their thing to give you some maneuvers to think about on these cold winter days. Their flying styles couldn't be further apart - like fire & ice - but their abilities are second to none.

Fire:

Sean Tucker does things with a full-scale biplane that were nearly impossible for all but the highest-performance RC planes only a couple of decades ago. Brian Jensen's Beast used to be the highest-performance biplane in the world, but Sean's custom-built 1220 lb, 400 HP Challenger III (with eight ailerons!) now takes than honor. Sean practices his routine three times a day, and he works out 340+ days a year just so he can endure the extreme physical demands.

Ice:

Nobody flies a Stearman like John Mohr! He does things with a bone-stock, 225 HP, 3,000-pound, two-aileron Stearman that most pilots can't do with four ailerons & 600 HP. He's right up there with Bob Hoover - and you can't get any more 'up there' than that! The kings of energy-management and stick & rudder flying.

Joel
Long but incredible videos.... Almost need a barf bag just watching them. I'll have to start reading about how a motor can survive this type of abuse! (Sound was awesome too, particularly when they are flooring it!). And one of them is a airline pilot!!! That could be a bumpy ride
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Last edited by RealGambler; Jan 16, 2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:34 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
For those of you who (like me) haven't had any decent Beast flying wx for awhile, here's some full-scale bipe action. Since the full-scale Beast lives no more (RIP Brian Jensen), here are a couple of my favorite biplane pilots doing their thing to give you some maneuvers to think about on these cold winter days. Their flying styles couldn't be further apart - like fire & ice - but their abilities are second to none.

Fire:

Sean Tucker does things with a full-scale biplane that were nearly impossible for all but the highest-performance RC planes only a couple of decades ago. Brian Jensen's Beast used to be the highest-performance biplane in the world, but Sean's custom-built 1220 lb, 400 HP Challenger III (with eight ailerons!) now takes than honor. Sean practices his routine three times a day, and he works out 340+ days a year just so he can endure the extreme physical demands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY1idP3QF6Y

Ice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXaXOb6vFUg

Joel
Jaw dropping, , I can't believe I said that. I feel a little woozy (reaching for an air bag). I gotta go now. Thanks for the video.
mIke
shastamike is online now Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:43 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,746 Posts
Amazing videos Joel!

I was shocked when @3:00 Sean Tucker did a pop-top! I don't want to even think of the neg G load for that maneuver. <- (What you would probably look like)

-Brian
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:23 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Amazing videos Joel!

I was shocked when @3:00 Sean Tucker did a pop-top! I don't want to even think of the neg G load for that maneuver. <- (What you would probably look like)

-Brian
Yeah, the pop-top pretty much blew my mind, as well! Wanna see how it looked from inside? Here's his entire routine from inside the cockpit. Be sure to carefully watch his torque-rolling 100 MPH tailsilde at 9:05. You can see him flying the elevator 'backward', as if it were a canard. Note how fast he is on the elevator, and note that the throw is similar to our 3D RC planes! Here are a few tidbits about Sean & the plane:

• Sean has logged over 20,000 hours flying, which if done all at once, would take over two years, 24 hours a day.
  • During media photo flights, Sean will fly upright and inverted within 5 feet of the support plane carrying photographers.
  • Twice during the performance, Sean will fly the aircraft backwards, straight-down, tail-first at more than 100 mph.
  • Over half of Sean's maneuvers are original and have never been duplicated by another aerobatic pilot.
  • Sean is the world's only pilot to perform a triple ribbon cut. He flies through the ribbons at 220 mph in right knife-edge for the first ribbon, then left knife-edge and finally inverted. The ribbons are only 25 feet off of the ground and 750 feet between each set.
  • Sean has a revolutionary set of wings that use 8 ailerons instead of 4.
  • The tail on Sean's airplane is modeled after the tail used on high-performance remote control airplanes.
  • Sean D. Tucker is the only civilian performer ever to be allowed to fly close formation with the Blue Angels and the Thunderbirds.

Sean D. Tucker @ Chicago 2010 (14 min 52 sec)

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:34 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
... And one of them is a airline pilot!!! That could be a bumpy ride
That's the kind of airline pilot I want to fly with! If I'm in a passenger jet & something screws up, there are four pilots I'd want to have in the Captain's seat. Capt. Robert Pearson, Capt. "Sully" Sullenberger, Bob Hoover, or John Mohr. If we're talking light-planes, there is a fifth. My dad.

Joel
RCG Plus Member