HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2013, 06:03 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,177 Posts
Had to put a bit of weight on the front to balance them level. did that on my other planes with the wing too. Didn't get a chance to fly it today as I was helping an other buddy get his glow engine going and accidently stuck my fingers in the prop You'd think after 76 yrs i'd learn Took 8 stitches and when I got back it was too dark. Bummer. Supposed to snow tomorrow so we'll have to wait.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2013, 07:34 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Don't bother. You don't need it. It just gets in the way of larger battery packs. But if you must replace it, just glue on a short length of CF strip. How long? Well, considering you don't need it, 5 mm should do it.
+1 when I get my replacement B3D The first things I'll do is reinforce the wing roots, break off the battery hatch tab and replace with a tiny flat CF strip, reinforce the elevator joiner, and finally add heatsinks for worry free 3S operation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
Had to put a bit of weight on the front to balance them level. did that on my other planes with the wing too. Didn't get a chance to fly it today as I was helping an other buddy get his glow engine going and accidently stuck my fingers in the prop You'd think after 76 yrs i'd learn Took 8 stitches and when I got back it was too dark. Bummer. Supposed to snow tomorrow so we'll have to wait.

Gord.
Ouch!! sorry to hear about the hand.

Snowing.... Isn't that the point of the skis?

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jan 05, 2013, 08:05 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,177 Posts
Thanks Brian. My sore finger now feels a lot better LOL

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:35 AM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinman View Post
Would someone mind measuring and letting me know the length of the small tab that is at the top back center of the battery hatch (it slides under the front of the fuse)? I had a small incident earlier this week and the tab broke off. I'm now shaping a small piece of foam to glue in it's place.

Bob
Bob,

The foam tab measures.
L x W x H
5 x 10 x 4.25mm

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:42 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
I have fiddled with my cg and I think I have it close.

Here is today's video.

UMX Beastie 6Jan13 (3 min 36 sec)
FERNDALE AIR FOR is offline Find More Posts by FERNDALE AIR FOR
Old Jan 07, 2013, 02:50 PM
United States, FL, Eustis
Joined Oct 2012
434 Posts
+1 on removing the foam tab on the battery hatch and replacing it with a small carbon strip. Solved the problems I had using some batteries.
AustinG is offline Find More Posts by AustinG
Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:27 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinG View Post
+1 on removing the foam tab on the battery hatch and replacing it with a small carbon strip. Solved the problems I had using some batteries.
You don't even have to replace it. It stays on fine with no tab.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:13 PM
United States, UT, Hurricane
Joined Aug 2012
612 Posts
Got a dumb question. I bought a UMX beast that one servo did not work (rudder) and a second one that was crashed and the foam was MESSED UP but the electronics were ok.

Put them together but no stabilization like before?? did they make these WITHOUT the as3x system at one point?? or is there some way it is turned off or something??

Thanks
metalwizard is offline Find More Posts by metalwizard
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:14 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,477 Posts
Yup, V1 (gold trim) = non AS3X;V2 (silver trim) - AS3X

If the 'brick is good, you can swap it -- physically mounts the same.
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:15 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,236 Posts
Is it gold or silver? There is a beast and a beast 3d.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:48 AM
United States, UT, Hurricane
Joined Aug 2012
612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Yup, V1 (gold trim) = non AS3X;V2 (silver trim) - AS3X

If the 'brick is good, you can swap it -- physically mounts the same.
yep got one of each... dang didnt know there was a difference. the old one works fine in the new one.. guess i gotta use skiils not computer to fly LOL
metalwizard is offline Find More Posts by metalwizard
Old Jan 09, 2013, 01:07 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,477 Posts
About ten or ten thirty today, we all had quit flying -- just too breezy to be fun, even my Stryker, and the jets. While we were standing around chatting, one of the fellas mentioned the UMX Beast, and it's supposed wind handling. I asked him if he ever saw one, and he said nope only flew it on the sim. I asked a different member to check the field with his anemometer and it was a steady 20, with gusts bigger. I have flown the Beast in 10 and 15, but never this much. I thought, what the heck, we are just sitting here anyway... so I took mine out, and launched it. No video, but it was able to do the usual complement of rolls, loops, etc, except that moving down wind I had to stop it before it got too far, and coming upwind, it took a while to re-establish ground position. I kept it higher than ten feet to be sure not to suddenly slam the ground in a downdraft, but after four minutes of pretty well controlled flight, I was able to just slowly hover it down to a parking spot in the grass. Can't say it was particularly fun, or that I'll do it again, but it;'s good to know the old Beast can really handle it!

Old Jan 09, 2013, 02:54 PM
United States, FL, Eustis
Joined Oct 2012
434 Posts
Does the plane fly the same or close to it after repairs? Was a little too comfortable with it during lunch and was doing some maneuvers too close to the deck. Had the lower wing ripped halfway off on one side and the upper one halfway gone on the other side. One aileron servo pulled loose along with several of the cables. I believe I will be able to mend it all up, but it sure didn't look good when I brought it in.

I was just stunned when I did it. The margin between great flying and looking foolish can be pretty small apparently.
AustinG is offline Find More Posts by AustinG
Old Jan 09, 2013, 02:59 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,477 Posts
If you get everything right, it doesn't matter how may repairs or replacement parts on on it!

Mine has wings from one plane, tail from another, fuse from HH spares, changed motor, prop, ail servos moved to top of wing, etc, etc etc.

So mine has been through the wringer and back again, but I feel it flies almost as sharp as day one out of the box.

As long as you get the basics right -- everything squared up, don't change angle of incidence, don't have weak/torn surfaces that flap or distort, etc, then this thing is just awesome -- you have all that wing area, all that frontal area, and all that tractor-like power to pull it trough the air -- it flies just like the big brother Model 12.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 05:55 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinG View Post
Does the plane fly the same or close to it after repairs? Was a little too comfortable with it during lunch and was doing some maneuvers too close to the deck. Had the lower wing ripped halfway off on one side and the upper one halfway gone on the other side. One aileron servo pulled loose along with several of the cables. I believe I will be able to mend it all up, but it sure didn't look good when I brought it in.

I was just stunned when I did it. The margin between great flying and looking foolish can be pretty small apparently.
Sorry your plane got bashed. My Beast went through a period where I would have sworn it had a death wish. Ripped the wings up so many times I was repairing the repairs. I bought a new wing kit and rebuilt it, a bit of touch up paint and my Beast is good as new flight wise. I have more respect and better understanding of the airframe now that I have put so much time into it. Patch your plane up, take your time and get it right and you will have an awesome and custom plane!
Foam-Tac foam glue is the bomb BTW. Foam safe CA just seems so brittle, but has it's place on plastic and carbon fiber repairs.
I have a lot more strength in my wings now because I added packing tape on both sides of the black wing supports. The ones about an inch wide that go vertically from bottom wing to top. They are so fragile I bent them just gluing them on. Encased it packing tape they are much stronger.
Good luck with your re-build.
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike