SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:44 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinrc View Post
Your full-scale flying experience won't help you at all. In fact it works against you because you expect it to help.
I agree with Brian.

My prior full-scale experience helped quite a bit when I was learning to fly RC. I already understood the principles of flight. I already understood the concept of thinking ahead of the aircraft, rather than reacting to it. I already understood the importance of staying on the right side of the power curve. I already understood throttle management & energy management. I already knew how to do coordinated and cross-controlled maneuvers. I already knew how to recover from a stall or spin. I already knew how to manage airspeed with elevator & manage altitude with throttle. I already knew how to crab or slip in a crosswind. I already knew that the landing is only as good as the approach, and that the approach is only as good as the base & downwind. I already knew about weight & balance, adjusting the CG, flight-trimming, etc.

Because I already knew the above, I was able to spend my first season working on my hand-eye coordination - rather than having to learn how & why my plane behaved as it did. If my plane suddenly dropped the port wing when I gave it right aileron at low speed, I knew it was a tip-stall, and I immediately knew what to do about it. I understood that you don't pull the throttle back when flying downwind. If my trainer's engine flamed-out during climb-out (which it did a few times), I knew that the best plan was to drop the nose & land straight ahead.

In short - I already knew how to fly. I just needed to work on my hand-to--eye coordination. Plus, I had been flying full-scale flight-sims since FS1 came out in 1980, so I was already used to using a joystick - which also helped.

Rather than learn on a traditional 40-size trainer, I learned to fly RC on a balsa high-wing aerobatic trainer with a semi-symmetrical airfoil & no dihedral. I sold it a few years after I learned to fly, and it was still in good shape. I credit my full-scale experience for allowing me to bypass the trainer & go directly to an aerobatic plane without consequence. My full-scale experience also saved me from totaling it a few times. Most notably, during deadsticks.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:26 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
I agree with Brian.

My prior full-scale experience helped quite a bit when I was learning to fly RC. I already understood the principles of flight. I already understood the concept of thinking ahead of the aircraft, rather than reacting to it. I already understood the importance of staying on the right side of the power curve. I already understood throttle management & energy management. I already knew how to do coordinated and cross-controlled maneuvers. I already knew how to recover from a stall or spin. I already knew how to manage airspeed with elevator & manage altitude with throttle. I already knew how to crab or slip in a crosswind. I already knew that the landing is only as good as the approach, and that the approach is only as good as the base & downwind. I already knew about weight & balance, adjusting the CG, flight-trimming, etc.

Because I already knew the above, I was able to spend my first season working on my hand-eye coordination - rather than having to learn how & why my plane behaved as it did. If my plane suddenly dropped the port wing when I gave it right aileron at low speed, I knew it was a tip-stall, and I immediately knew what to do about it. I understood that you don't pull the throttle back when flying downwind. If my trainer's engine flamed-out during climb-out (which it did a few times), I knew that the best plan was to drop the nose & land straight ahead.

In short - I already knew how to fly. I just needed to work on my hand-to--eye coordination. Plus, I had been flying full-scale flight-sims since FS1 came out in 1980, so I was already used to using a joystick - which also helped.

Rather than learn on a traditional 40-size trainer, I learned to fly RC on a balsa high-wing aerobatic trainer with a semi-symmetrical airfoil & no dihedral. I sold it a few years after I learned to fly, and it was still in good shape. I credit my full-scale experience for allowing me to bypass the trainer & go directly to an aerobatic plane without consequence. My full-scale experience also saved me from totaling it a few times. Most notably, during deadsticks.

Joel
Ditto for me, too...Full-scale flying helped me a LOT!!!...I had the opportunity to fly full-scale at an early age (in my teens)...

Joel, you and I have one thing in common that we started with "unconventional" trainers...My "trainer" was an Ugly Stick in 1981...Built with a flat wing (no dihedral)...I stopped flying for a while (women/college) and when I got back into RC my second plane was a Sig Cougar...I would love to have another but with electric power!!!

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:07 AM
Australia, QLD, Qunaba
Joined Dec 2012
69 Posts
Well I finally have the beast3D, and it looks hotttt!!!! weather is good maiden this afternoon any final tips ?
Dlta Nvmbr Ynkee is offline Find More Posts by Dlta Nvmbr Ynkee
Old Dec 25, 2012, 08:36 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlta Nvmbr Ynkee View Post
Well I finally have the beast3D, and it looks hotttt!!!! weather is good maiden this afternoon any final tips ?
Just one - be smooth on the sticks! Good luck!

Merry Christmas everyone!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:14 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,699 Posts
Well, on the flip side, will my rc experience help me in a real airplane? I just got an introductory flight certificate for Christmas.
shahram72 is online now Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Dec 25, 2012, 04:02 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
Well, on the flip side, will my rc experience help me in a real airplane? I just got an introductory flight certificate for Christmas.
Im my experience, most def with flying, especially helis. I was able to hover a Hughs 300 IGE during my intro flight. Bit there's so much more to learn than just basic flight. I'm not sure how far rc will really carry you.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Dec 25, 2012, 04:58 PM
Australia, QLD, Qunaba
Joined Dec 2012
69 Posts
Wind picked up yesterday afternoon so I didn't feel comfortable flying. But this morning I did the maiden and had a blast !!! Went through three batteries and got a good 20 mins airtime total thanks for your advice everyone and yea really I think my full scale experience really helped me the beast has four ailerons so twice the adverse yaw and just the overal handling it helps me to stay ahead of the plane but yea thanks for the help guys I love this machine !!!!
Old Dec 25, 2012, 06:10 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,911 Posts
Actually they thought about the adverse yaw and put differential ails. in it to cure it. Notice that the ail servos are a lot more off centre to one end to give more up than down. Sweet little flier even in the wind. Have to make a pair of skis for mine now since it snowed last night.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Dec 25, 2012, 06:22 PM
Australia, QLD, Qunaba
Joined Dec 2012
69 Posts
A beast on skis would be cool but I noticed quite a bit of yaw rolling into and out of my turns is there a problem my plane ?
Old Dec 25, 2012, 06:47 PM
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
1,893 Posts
Quote:
A beast on skis would be cool but I noticed quite a bit of yaw rolling into and out of my turns is there a problem my plane ?
no....as3x just wants to keep plane going straight ===BE more agressive in turns.
dalecheek1 is online now Find More Posts by dalecheek1
Old Dec 25, 2012, 07:01 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,110 Posts
Practice coordinated turns, coordinated turns are helpful in every single area of flight.
And btw the beast has never been equipped with differential, use your rudder! It has no problems with adverse yaw, it behaves exactly as a king aerobat should.

Cheers
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Dec 25, 2012, 07:36 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,008 Posts
Quote:
Wind picked up yesterday afternoon so I didn't feel comfortable flying. But this morning I did the maiden and had a blast !!! Went through three batteries and got a good 20 mins airtime total thanks for your advice everyone and yea really I think my full scale experience really helped me the beast has four ailerons so twice the adverse yaw and just the overal handling it helps me to stay ahead of the plane but yea thanks for the help guys I love this machine !!!!
That is the one place the as3x affects how you must fly it. The version 1 without the as3x did not require the extra rudder to pull it around in turns, but most all of the as3x equipped planes fly differently than the same plane without it. You just have to get used to it if you need it for some other reason.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Dec 25, 2012, 09:05 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,110 Posts
Coordinated turns are the best practice with and without gyros, as3x makes coordinated turns much more important to "look" right, it is a technique of flying that everyone should practice if they want to be advanced flyers, such as with an aerobatic semi-3D plane.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Dec 25, 2012, 09:21 PM
Australia, QLD, Qunaba
Joined Dec 2012
69 Posts
Ok I was just concerned someone said that it was equiqed with differential allerons
Old Dec 25, 2012, 09:40 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,911 Posts
Yeah, That's why the ail servos are off centre towards the front. That means when they go back, they have more up ail. than down. This was mentioned way back when the thread was started.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2