HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:52 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Keep that prop spinning til the wheels touch down.
Boy... ain't that the truth! It really is a brick with no power.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:55 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,472 Posts
Quote:
D NY,
Sure sounds boring to me!
The B3D is a sweetheart of a plane.
No Fear!!
rc
RC, honestly, how many B3D's have you had by now? With that WOT spirit, surely you've gone through a pantload!

I loved my B3D, but after a few months it looked like a dog's chew toy.

I had to put it down.

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:27 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,530 Posts
Quote:
D NY,

No Fear!!

rc
+1! The Beast 3D is still unquestionably my favorite aerobatic UM! The Sbach 3D is fun - but she is certainly no Beast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Boy... ain't that the truth! It really is a brick with no power.
I think I've seen a few bricks with better glide-ratios. Hell - the Space Shuttle even has a better glide-ratio! She's a drag-chute with wings & a prop - albeit a highly aerobatic & particularly attractive drag-chute!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
RC, honestly, how many B3D's have you had by now? With that WOT spirit, surely you've gone through a pantload!

I loved my B3D, but after a few months it looked like a dog's chew toy.

I had to put it down.

The plane, or the dog??

I'm betting that RC is still flying his very first B3D - even after hundreds of 3s flights. My first B3D has over 40 hrs on the clock & about 16 hrs have been on 3s. She's still doing fine! Strengthening the control horn areas with clear packing tape & adding glue fillets to the root of the vertical & horizontal stab are the only things I did to prep her for 3s operation.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:43 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,554 Posts
Dear Pug the Pic man,

Decided to take a current pic of my two Beasts for ya...
800+ combined flights.
Original wheel pants. (Thanks Foam-Tac)
No touch-up paint.
Both love Hyp (3S) 180s!
V1 2300Kv/GWS 5043.
B3D 2500Kv/GWS 5030.
Original servos.
Amazing planes!!

rc

ps...Joel,
My wife asked me to send you a special THANKS!
Her favorite Thomas Kinkade Christmas village wouldn't light up this year.
Opened her up and found that the micro switch was bad.
DeoxIT Fader to the rescue.
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:08 PM
Australia, QLD, Qunaba
Joined Dec 2012
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Dlta Nvmbr Ynkee,

Welcome to RCG! BTW - you're right on topic!

The Beast is not a good aileron trainer. The plane has zero self-righting capability. It simply goes where you point it & keeps on doing that until commanded to do something else. Also, the Beast is designed to fly well - not crash well. It lacks the robustness of a typical aileron trainer. The UM T-28 would be a much better next step after the Champ & HZ Cub. It is designed to be an aileron trainer, so it is very docile and forgiving - but it is also quite capable of performing basic aerobatics.

That said - people have learned to fly 4-channel on the Beast. Some even learned to fly on the Beast. They usually get a two-for-one, however. Along with learning to fly, they're typically forced to learn the finer points of foam repair as well! In retrospect - most say that they would have been better-off taking a more traditional approach.

You didn't mention which sim you have, or which planes you usually fly. For instance, there is a huge difference between flying a large-scale 3D plane or floaty 36" span 3D profile plane and the Beast. If you're used to flying large, floaty 3D planes in the sim, the Beast will most likely be a real eye-opener. On the other hand - if you can fly highly-responsive UM-sized hot-rods in a high-fidelity sim such as RF or Phoenix, the Beast won't be such a large jump.

Also - which transmitter will you be using? That makes a huge difference. If you'll be using a DX6i or better, you can tailor the plane's response to suit your comfort level with adjustable expo & rates. The plane will be much more challenging with lesser transmitters that don't have adjustable rates & expo, such as the DX5e. Do not attempt to fly the Beast with the short-range, low-resolution, high-latency, toy-grade transmitter that came with your Champ. A full-range hobby-grade transmitter is mandatory.

Joel
Thanks very much I'm glad I got an opinion from you guys. I think the little beast might be a bit of a hangar queen for a bit haha well at least it's not hard on the eyes. I have a Dx5e :/ that being said do you think my helicopter experience will help me ?
Dlta Nvmbr Ynkee is offline Find More Posts by Dlta Nvmbr Ynkee
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:18 PM
Australia, QLD, Qunaba
Joined Dec 2012
69 Posts
Quote:
D NY,

No Fear!!

rc
Hahaha only username I would remember me and my dad are both full scale fixed wing pilots we have a 1974 Cessna 150 commuter rego VH-DNY. Hence the username. One question though with the AS3X system how does the beast react to side slips (by the sounds of things I'll have no problem with the decent rate) and other cross control maneuvers ???
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:52 PM
Joined Dec 2010
6,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlta Nvmbr Ynkee View Post
... that being said do you think my helicopter experience will help me ?
Not really. Co-ax heli's really don't need much attention. You kind of "push" them around the air. The Beast needs full-time input. Not only that, it needs full time correct input!
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:13 PM
Australia, QLD, Qunaba
Joined Dec 2012
69 Posts
I'm ok with correct input because I've been flying for just over a year I just havn't changed planes because I'm at boarding school so options are very limited
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:20 PM
Australia, QLD, Qunaba
Joined Dec 2012
69 Posts
And with respect to the wind how solid is the AS3X system
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:32 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,553 Posts
Very solid in the wind. Acts like a much bigger plane.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:38 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,530 Posts
Quote:
Thanks very much I'm glad I got an opinion from you guys. I think the little beast might be a bit of a hangar queen for a bit haha well at least it's not hard on the eyes. I have a Dx5e :/ that being said do you think my helicopter experience will help me ?
As Erkq mentioned - your coaxial heli experience won't be of much help. They pretty much fly themselves if you drop the sticks, they're very docile in pitch & roll, and they don't have a top-end of 35+ MPH. Your full-scale experience will help some, as you already know that elevator controls attitude/airspeed & throttle controls altitude, and you're already accustomed to using rudder with aileron for coordinated turns. But I strongly suggest that you upgrade your tx to a DX6i (or better, if funds allow). The infinitely-adjustable expo & rates are well-worth it alone. Plus, you get mixing, model memories, and eCCPM support for CP helis.

Regarding cross-coupled maneuvers - the Beast does great flat-turns & KE loops. AS3X can get in the way of forward slips - but with all of that drag, this bird doesn't need to be slipped into small spots! Just dump the power & drop the nose. Power-off, you'll be lucky to keep her above stall-speed at a 45-degree angle of descent. Just remember to get back on the throttle in time for the flare.

It's very cool that you fly with your dad. I also grew up flying with mine. He was a game-warden/bush-pilot for 34 years & he also sprayed crops. He flew P-47s & P-38s during WWII. I have many fond memories of flying his Super Cub and his Robertson STOL-equipped Cessna 180 & 185 over the northern half of Minnesota. We flew in all sorts of weather and sometimes at night on wheels, floats, and skis.

This plane laughs at 20+ MPH winds. I'm flying in a gusty 19 MPH wind in this clip:

UMX Beast 3D in an 8-19 MPH wind (8 min 53 sec)

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Dec 20, 2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:17 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,472 Posts
Quote:
.....Decided to take a current pic of my two Beasts for ya...
800+ combined flights......
Roger, I am in total awe.

After 400+ flights (which you must have on one or both of your B3Ds), there wouldn't have been enough sub-atomic particles of mine left to fly up the nozzle of a vacuum cleaner!

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:26 PM
Australia, QLD, Qunaba
Joined Dec 2012
69 Posts
Joel thanks so much for your advise you have boosted my confidence. It is really cool to talk to someone alse that has grown up with aviation the thunderbolts and lightnings no pun intended are beautiful planes. Me and dad dream of alaskan bush flying seen many DVDs on it but we're in Australia and the flying is very different and aircraft are limited there isn't the same variety you have in the US which is a real shame. As for the Dx6i I'm fairly strapped for cash as I'm working on my taildrager and aerobatics endorsements. Haha so aviation will force me into a life of poverty haha
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:30 PM
Joined Dec 2010
6,984 Posts
Quote:
...so aviation will force me into a life of poverty haha
Yeah... some people think boats are expensive. They just don't know...
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:37 PM
Australia, QLD, Qunaba
Joined Dec 2012
69 Posts
Is the beast 3D very sensitive and touchy ? And does anyone have any tips for trimming it and the maiden ?