HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:42 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
If the motor still runs, you shouldn't have to replace it. They can press out/in with your fingernail.

Many times the combs are making bad contact on the board, which a new rack fixes.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:59 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,757 Posts
The perfect flat spin at last!

I've been working on my flat spin. Found that it's a bit easier for me to do an inverted one. So...I climb as high. Hit down elevator and flip the plane on it's back. It goes into the most beautiful, flattest spin I've ever seen! Even better then videos! I'm so impressed with myself! Then I try to pull out. Nothing. Plane stays in the most perfect inverted flat spin ever. Ground is coming up. I try to rearm the esc, maybe I hit LVC. No response from any channels except throttle. I cut throttle and watch my Beast slowly and perfectly flat spin into the deck.
When I flipped the plane after it's climb the battery came loose and flopped it's way in the the extreme back of the fuse as far as the wires would let it go. It lodged itself between the rudder and elevator control rods thus no control.
I learned a lot on that flight. Mostly that I need to move my CG way back for a better flat spin!
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:32 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,143 Posts
Had this happen with my GB, batt got loose, first hard turn went into a perfect autorotation, i was so low that my only choice was to give some throttle and full sticks and deepen it.

Landed on grass, no damage.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:16 PM
Joined Nov 2012
1 Posts
Using my transmitter from Hobby zone Champ

Hello guys,

I've been using my hobby zone champ for a few months now and I wanted to upgrade my plane to the beast. I want to get the plane but I don't want to buy a new transmitter. Will the transmitter included with the champ work with the beast? I't has 4 channels but I don't think it has dual rate and expo..
Kaano97 is offline Find More Posts by Kaano97
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:26 PM
Joined Aug 2012
69 Posts
It will work but with such limited range you will regret it for sure. I crashed mine trying to be cheap and flying my beast with the champ TX. It would fly great and at the worst time loose signal and crash. Best money I spent was getting a DX5E... No more crashes.
BumpierDrake960 is offline Find More Posts by BumpierDrake960
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:29 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaano97 View Post
Hello guys,

I've been using my hobby zone champ for a few months now and I wanted to upgrade my plane to the beast. I want to get the plane but I don't want to buy a new transmitter. Will the transmitter included with the champ work with the beast? I't has 4 channels but I don't think it has dual rate and expo..
Going straight from a Champ to a Beast is a huge step and using a $15 TX makes it much steeper.

Someone with lots of stick time would have no problem flying a Beast 3D with the RTF TX, but would hate the "feel" and lack of precision when compared to a real TX. A regular Beast (not 3D) would be challenging to fly with the RTF TX, even for a good pilot... it reacts fast and "dual rates on all channels" is the only thing the RTF box has to tame it down, when you really want expo on Elevator and Ailerons.

A newb is going to learn all of the finer points of "how to repair a Beast" if it doesn't fly away out of the RTF TX's 300 ft range, never to be seen again.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:01 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
3,321 Posts
Bad idea.
If you're not ready, you're not ready.
You'll simply be wasting the $140 to buy the plane.
Money better spent is $160 for a new DX6i (or similar) or less for a used one.
I got mine used for $100 from RCG classifieds.
A good radio will make you a better pilot.
Flying An advanced plane before you're ready will simply make you poorer.
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:22 PM
United States, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Aug 2012
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
If the motor still runs, you shouldn't have to replace it. They can press out/in with your fingernail.

Many times the combs are making bad contact on the board, which a new rack fixes.
the motor just spazes and runs once in awhile. a new servo is cheap so I will try that and hope I can get this thing back together and flying.
fooferdoggie is offline Find More Posts by fooferdoggie
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:47 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,757 Posts
Quote:
Hello guys,

I started 6mos ago with the Champ. I had a really hard time putting $160 down for a DX6i at the time. Not a single regret ever though. If you enjoy flying the Champ enough to consider moving up then YOU ARE HOOKED! You have to get a good TX NO MATTER WHAT! If you have to buy the TX and wait for a plane then good. You have to invest in a good transmitter. You are never going back to something less than a Champ. Jump in, load up your credit card like the rest of us. Your in.
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:51 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,606 Posts
Target Hobbies is clearing out new old stock DX6i transmitters for about $100. They are DSM2, not DSMX as I recall.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:08 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,929 Posts
A whole lot us flew DSM2 for years with never a problem. Sounds like a deal to me if you are looking for a bargain. New transmitter with Horizons warranty and service. If it really bugs you about the DSM2 you can always have them upgrade it in the future. DSM2 will never be a problem unless you attempt to fly more than 40 or so planes at the same time.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is online now Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:17 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,020 Posts
Quote:
Hello guys,

First of all---CONGRATS for being able to teach yourself to fly with the Champ!!!...But I've gotta agree with all here---DO NOT attempt to fly the Beast with the stock Champ radio!!!...I did it once to just say that I did it---It was a handfull and I've been flying 40 years...There's only dual rates on the cheapo TX and no expo...Expo is your friend with the Beast..I didn't run out of range but, again, the model was a handfull to fly...I did this with the V1 non-AS3X Beast...I don't know if the V2 Beast would be more tame with AS3X...I do know that the better resolution of a high end radio (2048) with its better made gimbals was like a night and day difference in flight...I'm flying everything with a Heli version 9503 DSMX TX which has plane (Acro), heli, and glider modes built in with 50 model memory ...

You pay your money (or don't not purchasing a better TX) and take your chances!!!......

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:35 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hoorn View Post
A whole lot us flew DSM2 for years with never a problem. Sounds like a deal to me if you are looking for a bargain. New transmitter with Horizons warranty and service. If it really bugs you about the DSM2 you can always have them upgrade it in the future. DSM2 will never be a problem unless you attempt to fly more than 40 or so planes at the same time.
Gary
Gary,

I fly DSM2 all the time at a flying club that's dominated with Futaba gear. Yes, there are other Spektrum radios but I have never had a problem with conflicts.

Anyway, the Target Hobby offering is a DX6i with a AR6200 receiver Price is $109.

http://www.targethobby.com/spectrum-...p-4162198.html
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:39 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,476 Posts
i recently got the beast with gyro and it is a sweet little plane to fly. i have the micro t28 and the bigger one and the beast is my 3rd plane. i use dx6i without expo at the moment and mostly fly on low rates 75% ailerons and 100% rudder and elevator. you can not lose focus at all with this plane. it lands by itself almost with the gyro and laughs at wind but it is soooooooo much more responsive than the others. the plane does not appear to be crash worthy but i guess its made for those that dont crash much. i am trying my best to keep her healthy. not a beginner plane at all i would say. on low rates it can fly slow and mellow. i love mine. im not a 3d guy, i got it as a cool small biplane to sport fly with. love it!!!!!!!!
walter3rd is online now Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:22 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,137 Posts
Quote:
Hello guys,

Kaano,

Congrats on teaching yourself to fly! However, I also agree with the others. Do yourself a huge favor & pick up a DX6i. Your Champ will even fly much better! You will thank yourself many times over.

The Beast is designed to fly well - not crash well. 'Crashability' is not even on the list when designing an unlimited aerobatic plane. The Beast is intended for intermediate pilots & above. Intermediate pilots have at least one or two 4-channel aerobatic planes under their belts, and they are well-beyond the 'crashing stage', where the plane 'just crashed' & they don't know why. They are also beyond the point where 'crashability' is important when choosing a plane.

Unlike the Champ, the Beast does not have any self-righting characteristics at all. Rather, it simply goes where you point it & keeps on doing that until it runs out of power or altitude, or until you tell it to do something else. Put it into a bank or dive & let go of the sticks, and it will stay there until it hits the ground. It also requires you to use rudder and ailerons to do coordinated turns, and it is over twice as fast as the Champ at WOT.

If your hobby budget is tight, you would be much better off moving up to a 4-channel trainer such as the UM T-28, then moving up to an aerobatic plane such as the Sukhoi XP, and then the Beast. If you have a decent sim, you could probably go right from the T-28 to the Beast without having to do too many repairs. Otherwise, you will most likely destroy at least one Beast 3D just trying to learn how to fly 4-channel. BTW - a decent sim usually pays for itself in short order.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Nov 26, 2012 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Typo