Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:16 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
While lipos dont catch things on fire(much) anymore
Oh, they most certainly can catch fire if they're punctured/ruptured in a crash. There is an R/C club in California that just lost their flying field because some idiot crashed an EDF and didn't bother to go retrieve it. Caught fire later on and caused a huge brush fire.
crvnation is offline Find More Posts by crvnation
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:20 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,086 Posts
Alright, that can happen
But they are alot safer than they used to be, but you still have to respect them and take good care, remember that sometimes lipos just randomly die, dont trust them.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:25 PM
United States, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Aug 2012
134 Posts
Ok I bought new batteries and cycled them twice before flying with them. I just ran two batteries through it with the tail held with cans. about 2/3 throttle or a bit less the motor slowed at 5 minutes. tried it at 3/4" throttle I found if I went to 100% the motor slowed and stopped. not sure if I had to hold it there or just going there causes the shutdown as I adjusted the throttle travel to 80% and now it is not an issue. I don't fly with a lot of throttle but I cranked for my first loop I was used to the trogan needing it.
fooferdoggie is offline Find More Posts by fooferdoggie
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:29 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,086 Posts
I am confused by the run-on sentence

It sounds like you're just hitting LVC after five minutes, that is not a problem its protecting the lipo, that is in the manual.
But then it seems becuase of your run-on sentence that you were getting the problem all the time? Hard to diagnose an issue when everything is sandwiched together.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:35 PM
Joined Aug 2012
134 Posts
I think the motor turnoff what Just hitting too much throttle. I just tested it and it it hits 100% the motor slows and stops. So maybe on the second flight I cranked it up too much on launch and tests. I don't remember for sure. to setting the throttle travel to 80% peaks out the speed but keeps the motor from shutting down. that would be good to have in the manual.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:40 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie View Post
I think the motor turnoff what Just hitting too much throttle. I just tested it and it it hits 100% the motor slows and stops. So maybe on the second flight I cranked it up too much on launch and tests. I don't remember for sure. to setting the throttle travel to 80% peaks out the speed but keeps the motor from shutting down. that would be good to have in the manual.
I don't think you should be having ANY issues at full throttle with the motor SHUTTING DOWN, unless it is at the END of the flight. As the battery runs down you will be able to fly ok with 1/2 throttle or maybe 3/4 but push it a bit harder, the motor draws too hard, voltage drops and you hit LVC.

Also, if you ran it for a couple batteries STATIC but close to full throttle that might not have been too good for the motor as the prop is never able to unload and you are drawing MAX amps the whole time. (A motor will draw less amps when actually FLYING than when pulling hard in a static test.)

Odd, is it a new motor? Used? Damaged? If it is new, then call HH support as they are excellent about CS and will likely help you out right away. You should NOT have to limit yourself to 80% throttle on a new plane, just not normal and not right. (Neither of my beasts, nor my SBach have had such issues.)

Good luck,

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:53 PM
Joined Aug 2012
134 Posts
it looks new. I did not see a scratch on the plane. But there was not throttle increase after 80% the last little bit no change but had the motor slow and stop. so dropping it a bit won't make any difference. I will fly it tomorrow and see. I checked the motor temps and it was barley warm after each battery cooler then my hellis for sure. I fly in a 120' square space so I don't need full speed.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:06 AM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,622 Posts
Quote:
it looks new. I did not see a scratch on the plane. But there was not throttle increase after 80% the last little bit no change but had the motor slow and stop. so dropping it a bit won't make any difference. I will fly it tomorrow and see. I checked the motor temps and it was barley warm after each battery cooler then my hellis for sure. I fly in a 120' square space so I don't need full speed.
Oh, sorry, if you bought it used, or off of that Hobby Mart re-sale / damaged goods Ebay site, then you never know what the issue may be. Could be the BOARD, could be the motor. Either way, no warranty and not appropriate to ask for CS from HH. If it was used your only real re-course is to go back to the prior owner and try to get your $ back as it was sold damaged. If it was that Hobby Mart liquidator then you get what you get, as they state up front sold as is.

That all said, if you're happy with it then that's totally cool! I sure love my beasts and am glad it's working for you. Take care,

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:11 AM
Joined Aug 2012
134 Posts
that's the guy I bid low and expected to be outbid. I had some mix setup on that memory slot so maybe it did not get wiped out. though I don't think I touched the throttle when I was trying something out.
I bid low on things on ebay and expect to lose but once in awhile I win. I don't usually bid for used rc stuff though.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:56 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
Quote:
Ok I bought new batteries and cycled them twice before flying with them. I just ran two batteries through it with the tail held with cans. about 2/3 throttle or a bit less the motor slowed at 5 minutes. tried it at 3/4" throttle I found if I went to 100% the motor slowed and stopped. not sure if I had to hold it there or just going there causes the shutdown as I adjusted the throttle travel to 80% and now it is not an issue. I don't fly with a lot of throttle but I cranked for my first loop I was used to the trogan needing it.
Which batteries did you buy?

BTW - running the packs until LVC kicks in will discharge them to 90-95%, which will damage the packs. LiPos are not supposed to be discharged deeper than 80%.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:56 AM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,602 Posts
THE BEAST IS BACK! Finished my re-winging and took it out this morning. Like having a brand new plane again. Really like the bright red color of this plane. Easy to see against the trees.
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:12 AM
Joined Aug 2012
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Which batteries did you buy?

BTW - running the packs until LVC kicks in will discharge them to 90-95%, which will damage the packs. LiPos are not supposed to be discharged deeper than 80%.

Joel
e flight 180's since I only use two I did not want to have to order them. I only ran them till the motor slowed now that I know where that is at I won't fly more then about 4:30
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:03 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
Quote:
e flight 180's since I only use two I did not want to have to order them. I only ran them till the motor slowed now that I know where that is at I won't fly more then about 4:30
OK. There are some packs around that just can't handle the Beast 3D's current demands. They usually fall on their face early into the flight & either trigger LVC or a full brick shutdown/re-boot, due to excessive voltage drop under load. The Eflite 180s are noted for their very poor performance in this plane. It would be easier to troubleshoot if you had a higher-performance pack to try. I suggest ordering a Hyp 240 UMX pack. They're only $10 USD, and even if it turns out to be something else, you'll still have a high-performance pack to use in the plane once you get things sorted out.

Another thing - there was a run of bad EFLU4864 bricks earlier this year that made it into the CC & B3D. We saw a few reports that were similar to yours in the B3D thread during that time; whereas we had not seen that particular problem with the earlier batches, nor have we seen it since. Depending upon which batch your B3D is from. it may have ended up with one of the bad bricks.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:42 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,231 Posts
just some quick pics of my new beast with her bigger wheels and servo protectors. these are parkflyer plastics from there air scoop sheet. primed gray and shot with a black top coat. going to paint the wheels too. maybe silver. didnt like the wheel pants so there gone. been so busy and weather have conspired to keep me away from the sticks! dying to fly her again.
walter3rd is online now Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:46 PM
Joined Aug 2012
134 Posts
well I found the problem was just the radio and a non wiped model I guess. erased the model redid it and the motor runs fine. man this thing is a bit of a handful coming from a trojan. got to get used to maneuvering at low throttle. got stuck in a tree I should have just hit the throttle so I could turn better.