HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:02 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
Mr Parker, your note on a 5043 prop makes me feel better. I have a Beast enroute. This is how I like to fly.

Yak 54 F3P 1 Oct 12 (3 min 53 sec)
FERNDALE AIR FOR is offline Find More Posts by FERNDALE AIR FOR
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:26 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,274 Posts
turboparker, thanks for the link. i will pick that harness up. i am also getting quality 2s batts but just wanted to use my 1s as a back up even if power is not as good, its better than letting them collect dust. looking forward to the maiden allready! i recieved my 2s batts, harness to reuse my 1s and fader lube for the servos, just waiting on the charger adapter for my charger and ill pull the trigger and pick up the plane from my lhs! i think this will be the week! looking forward to setting it up correctly with my dx6i. i want it to fly as calm as possible until i learn her flight characteristics.
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
Last edited by walter3rd; Nov 11, 2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:34 PM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
2,274 Posts
just picked up my beast! cant wait to get the prop balanced and set up the dx6i for her maiden! just happy to hold her in my hands at this point. glad to officially be aboard.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:02 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter3rd View Post
just picked up my beast! cant wait to get the prop balanced and set up the dx6i for her maiden! just happy to hold her in my hands at this point. glad to officially be aboard.
WELCOME!!!...Did ya get a V1 or V2 Beast???

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:16 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNDALE AIR FOR View Post
Mr Parker, your note on a 5043 prop makes me feel better. I have a Beast enroute. This is how I like to fly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG1iB...1&feature=plcp
Ferndale AF,

Nice flying! However, the Beast is a scale unlimited aerobatic plane. The airframe has a true-scale outline with scale-size tail feathers, and the wings even have scale symmetrical airfoils. It is most definitely not an FP3 ship.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:22 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,615 Posts
Quote:
Welcome and good flights.k
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:42 PM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
2,274 Posts
did my maiden today on the v2 beast! only had time for 2 batts but was very happy! taped 2 hyperion 1s 180 mah batts together as i dont have my charger adapter for my 2s hyperions yet. connected the y harness from rc connectors link and off she went. im no 3d guy so i was just having a blast with her doing the standard stuff. what a great little biplane. forgot about flying her down under power. she does not glide that great. no damage into tall fluffy grass but i wont do that again. i remember someone saying that about these little guys. i love her! wheel pants keep spinning. can i just rip those things off? how are they attached? love the colors. it was actually a bit windy so it wasa great test of the gyro. very impressed. flew like a champ.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:51 PM
United States, MA, Rutland
Joined Oct 2011
189 Posts
I keep the wheel pants from spinning by CA'ing a small balsa dowel from the top of the pant to the strut. I can post a pic if you'd like...

Or just rip 'em off
ScottGridley is offline Find More Posts by ScottGridley
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:13 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,647 Posts
Walter: I come in with power on and pull a bit of elev. Keep adding power and up elev and you can land it nose high at walking speed almost in a hover. Try it up high first. My pants fell off on the second flight I also made plywood wheels 1 1/4 in. dia. now I can take off and land in short grass. Great little fun plane.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:27 PM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
2,274 Posts
thanks for the tips! ill try the balsa wood rod support first i guess. maybe rip them off later. im hoping i dont get any glitches like some say in the reviews section on horizon web site. 2 flights and 2 great experiences. dealing with aileron glitches on my micro t-28 at the moment so i really am praying!!!! love the extra grunt the brushless motor gives. nice change from the brushed 1s t-28. life is good again! walt
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:14 AM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
Here's video of my first flight on the Beastie. I think I can make it a bit more 3D. Time will tell.

Tim

Umx Beastie Maiden 11Nov12 (3 min 32 sec)
FERNDALE AIR FOR is offline Find More Posts by FERNDALE AIR FOR
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:00 PM
Joined Jun 2010
2,615 Posts
Quote:
thanks for the tips! ill try the balsa wood rod support first i guess. maybe rip them off later. im hoping i dont get any glitches like some say in the reviews section on horizon web site. 2 flights and 2 great experiences. dealing with aileron glitches on my micro t-28 at the moment so i really am praying!!!! love the extra grunt the brushless motor gives. nice change from the brushed 1s t-28. life is good again! walt
If you are flying on grass the pants are going to be gone soon anyway. ICU at Shapeways has pants made of something else that I believe are more durable.
http://www.shapeways.com/model/30623...ductBox-search
The only problem I had with my Beast, other than pulverizing it, was one time the aileron servo went shaky. Back and forth trying to center itself. One spray of DeOxit and it was fixed, no problem.
My Beast sits in its box awaiting a rainy day for me to re-wing it. Going to be soon as I been checking all the member vids and I'm missing it.
MIke
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:58 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,630 Posts
Tim,

Nice maiden! Looked like the wind was just strong enough to be fun! I really enjoy 'wind-surfing' with the B3D. I was having an absolute blast in this clip, and the wind was 20-25 MPH for most of the flight.

Eflite UMX Beast 3D on 3s - in a 26 MPH wind! Stationary KE, elevator landings, etc (8 min 10 sec)

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:27 PM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
2,274 Posts
i already sprayed the ailerons with the deoxit fader spray. trying to think ahead.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:30 PM
Joined Jun 2010
2,615 Posts
HELP! Need rebuid advice

I started to rebuild the wings on my Beast. Hit a snag with parts being glued together. The black plastic "plate" that glues the wing to the cabane is glued to the cabane! I can' t get them apart. Also the carbon rods to the plastic slot on bottom of fuze that holds the wire wheel assembly.
Maybe I should just clean the foam and glue off the old parts that are assembled and just glue the wings back on?
Is there something that will help get the foam and glue debris off the plastic plates if I am to reuse them?
Mike