SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:07 AM
If it has wings it will fly...
United Kingdom, England, Birmingham
Joined Mar 2011
1,535 Posts
well the UMX Beast model I have (prior the as3x model) came with a stock 180mah 2 cell Eflite lipo.
As for ordering anything from chinese HK warehouse, if its a small order and you pay normal air post it will take ages to get to you and personally I have lost small orders. if you make a bigger order fair enough but then you are not buying just a few nanotecs; what I'm saying is that I'm providing fast dependible delivery of 260mah nanotecsin the UK.
ckleanth is online now Find More Posts by ckleanth
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:28 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,535 Posts
now can we move on please.
thanks
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:59 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Anyway, I tried my Beast on 3S and this thing is a rocket! She is crazy fast! Not totally sold on 3S yet as I tend to fly my planes in close. I did have two thermal shudowns and ended up in gentle elevators into soft grass, no damage. This was with steady full throttle so I think I need to back her off after short bursts. I sill need to enlarge the exit holes so that might help as well.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Nov 05, 2012, 03:46 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,492 Posts
i am officially done with 1s planes! i had a final aileron glitch with my 2nd t-28 and nosed in hard and broke the motor mount! just taped all my 1s batteries together to use with the y harness as extra batteries for my soon to be BEAST! allready ordered nice 2s packs but dont want to waste the 20 -- 1s batteries i have. i have hyperion 180mah, thunder power and eflite. time to move on to bigger and better things... maybe pick her up tomorrow. where can i get that rubber spinner i have seen on these threads. im sure the foam will not last long with grass landings. looking forward to joining the masses of happy BEAST owners. walt.
walter3rd is online now Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:01 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter3rd View Post
....im sure the foam will not last long with grass landings. looking forward to joining the masses of happy BEAST owners. walt.
leave the gear and wheels on, bring her in slowly and land. it will probably bounce and flip but I never had anything broken landing her this way. the only thing I didn't like was the pushrod connection for the rudder so I glue a bit of chemical metal so there is no issue of it coming off during knife edge. I did same thing on aelerons to be sure. will post pics later.
if you have a dx8 the recommended setup is ok once you get the hang of it. id program this setup as well as a bit more expo on aelerons and rudder for the first flights.

EDIT:
I cant remember whats reccomended in the manual but P1 is how I fly
P3 is what I try first for an unknown a/c and sequentially progress to P1 once I'm happy
then finetune...

P1
Ael
D/R 100 100
EXP 55 55

Rud
D/R 100 100
EXP 55 55

Elv
D/R 100 100
EXP 55 55

P2
Ael
D/R 100 100
EXP 65 65

Rud
D/R 100 100
EXP 65 65

Elv
D/R 100 100
EXP 65 65

P3
Ael
D/R 60 60
EXP 30 30

Rud
D/R 70 70
EXP 30 30

Elv
D/R 50 50
EXP 15 15
Last edited by ckleanth; Nov 05, 2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:17 PM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
2,492 Posts
i have the dx6i. thanks for the landing tips. i wish i had a nice smooth LZ but my favorite near home spot is a baseball field with questionable dirt at best. i would rather flip her on soft grass instead of bumpy hard dirt peppered with small peebles. looks too pretty to scuff up.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:20 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
i have the dx6i.
Use the settings in the manual. They work and they are non-TX specific. I also second the use of a bit more expo on the controls for the first flights.
crvnation is offline Find More Posts by crvnation
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:24 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,932 Posts
Walter,
The DX8 setup is very advanced and high rates are only for a very experienced flyer. I recommend you setup dual rates with 100% on high and 70% on low. Add about 20% expo and make your maiden flight on low rates, all three axis, unless you are very experienced. The Beast is really fun but can get away from you quickly until you get used to its flight characteristics.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:29 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hoorn View Post
I recommend you setup dual rates with 100% on high and 70% on low.
In other words, exactly what the manual (and previous advice) says, page 7.
crvnation is offline Find More Posts by crvnation
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 05, 2012, 05:53 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,149 Posts
Quote:
i have the dx6i. thanks for the landing tips. i wish i had a nice smooth LZ but my favorite near home spot is a baseball field with questionable dirt at best. i would rather flip her on soft grass instead of bumpy hard dirt peppered with small peebles. looks too pretty to scuff up.
Sorry but the servos are almost identical on the 2S planes. Buy de-oxit f fader lube, squirt it in the servos. And you will no longer be frustrated.
airpower is online now Find More Posts by airpower
Old Nov 05, 2012, 06:19 PM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
2,492 Posts
airpower thanks for the lube info! thats why i love this site. just a small shot on the whole servo? just checking on application method. thanks alot. walt.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 06:22 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,746 Posts
Quote:
i am officially done with 1s planes! i had a final aileron glitch with my 2nd t-28 and nosed in hard and broke the motor mount! just taped all my 1s batteries together to use with the y harness as extra batteries for my soon to be BEAST! allready ordered nice 2s packs but dont want to waste the 20 -- 1s batteries i have. i have hyperion 180mah, thunder power and eflite. time to move on to bigger and better things... maybe pick her up tomorrow. where can i get that rubber spinner i have seen on these threads. im sure the foam will not last long with grass landings. looking forward to joining the masses of happy BEAST owners. walt.
Might be a bit late but the Sbach is MUCH more tolerant of weaker packs or 2 1s packs hooked together. You might find the B3D a bit anemic with 2 1S packs and an adapter. In fact you probably wont have unlimited vertical that way.

Quote:
airpower thanks for the lube info! thats why i love this site. just a small shot on the whole servo? just checking on application method. thanks alot. walt.
Just a small shot into the worm gear mechanics of the linear servo.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Nov 05, 2012, 06:52 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckleanth View Post
.. the only thing I didn't like was the pushrod connection for the rudder so I glue a bit of chemical metal so there is no issue of it coming off during knife edge. I did same thing on aelerons to be sure. will post pics later...
pics
Old Nov 05, 2012, 07:24 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
Now that I'm used to the Beast's manners I now fly on full rates but with 30% expo...I can't tell the difference in delicate manuevers but a hard over stick really cranks the plane around!!!...Before, I flew with rudder and elevator on high rate with the ailerons on low rate...Once you get the hang of how this model behaves you can go to all high rates...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Nov 05, 2012, 07:30 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,171 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Might be a bit late but the Sbach is MUCH more tolerant of weaker packs or 2 1s packs hooked together. You might find the B3D a bit anemic with 2 1S packs and an adapter. In fact you probably wont have unlimited vertical that way.

-Brian
Also - if you're going to run a series harness, don't use the Eflite harness. It is heavy & extremely lossy. Use this one from Glenn @ RC-connectors.com, as it is the lowest-loss & lightest series harness available.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member