HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:27 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
Prices are goofy---...You were being NICE to just say goofy---It's down right robbery!!!---I can get 300mAh NanoTechs for about 2.5 British Pound Sterling each if my math is correct...Which I just did last night from HK to fill in an order...But I am a platinum member with over 40 orders so I do get a pretty decent discount when logged in...

I have some 400 mAh Hyperions right here in my hot little hands...Although my battery compartment has been modded for 3S there is room for these batts with the stock tray...My batts are thicker due to being individually shrink wrapped and Velcro applied for 1S use in my Mossie...

Kevin
Yeah... this guy got on my bad side by referring to Joel as "mate" in his 3rd post! He came on here and "mate"-ed one of the nicest, most helpful, knowledgeable guys we have! "Mate" my... well... @
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2012, 03:38 PM
United Kingdom, England, Ripon
Joined Dec 2011
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckleanth View Post
you can buy some from HK but then you have to wait for a week (or more) to get them. I have had a small order send by normal post; its been a month now still waiting. Then again if custom is payable parcelforce will want a tenner on top of what you will pay for VAT. Plus I got proper velcro loop that matches the Eflite exisitng hool velco strip and I will include with purchase. Thin velcro hook & loop compatible with the eflite stuff which will soon be avaiable. as well as DX8 batteries, receiver packs, servos and many more
Sorry but you are talking crap, small packages like nanotechs I use Royal Mail from Hobbyking, they get shipped in a Jiffy bag and I always get mine within a week and they never go anywhere near parcel force so you DO NOT get any extra charges
Simon2504 is offline Find More Posts by Simon2504
Old Nov 04, 2012, 07:44 PM
Chicago Northwest subs
Joined Jan 2007
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckleanth View Post
eflite launced the UMX beast V1 with a 180mah battery and I owned that for a little less than two yeas.
Actually, the V1 Beast launched with a 120 mAh battery. QQ wanted us to fly her nice and light. I agree with him. Lighter is better, unless it's windy or stability is a priority, as in aerial photography or FPV.
MR2
minirips2 is offline Find More Posts by minirips2
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:02 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,571 Posts
i am going back and forth if i should go beast or sbach.. my question, i dont have good access to hard landing surface for wheels so does any one armor the bottom servos and fuselage and belly land this plane? thanks, walt
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:24 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter3rd View Post
i am going back and forth if i should go beast or sbach.. my question, i dont have good access to hard landing surface for wheels so does any one armor the bottom servos and fuselage and belly land this plane? thanks, walt
The vote seems to be for the Beast over the Sbach from those who have both. The Sbach is faster, but many call the Beast a perfect aircraft in every other way. It is the favorite of most who have expressed an opinion, including me.

I use Stryker servo covers to cover the aileron servos. Others cut down plastic spoons.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:26 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,255 Posts
I wouldnt belly land, just harrier land with gear on, servo gaurds are optimal but not needed. The most important difference between the two is their character.
The beast has personality, its a character and has a cult following and will win your heart.
the sbach is about mathematical precision, its precise exact its your math proffessor.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:30 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
I wouldnt belly land, just harrier land with gear on, servo gaurds are optimal but not needed. The most important difference between the two is their character.
The beast has personality, its a character and has a cult following and will win your heart.
the sbach is about mathematical precision, its precise exact its your math proffessor.
That might is a darn good analogy AP. Flying the wings off the Sbach right now, as it just makes me look better than I am, so crisp and "precise" as you put it, little better than the Beast. Yet I still find the Beast to be the one that makes me just outright smile the most. Weird.

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:31 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,571 Posts
that sounds great as i do prefer the biplane looks! i think ill get her and keep the wheels on for slow floaty landings in grass. thanks for the push in the right direction. walt
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:34 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,025 Posts
Quote:
I agree---I land in my back yard on grass...I just get her as slow as possible and she plops in, usually flipping harmelessly over on its back in the grass...

And to the Beast vs Sbach---I have 3 Beasts and one Sbach....And I hated math when in school...Nuff said!!!......

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:56 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter3rd View Post
The Sbach is a much better belly-lander than the Beast, but the Beast lands slower & can fly in a much smaller space. The servo covers from the Stryker or Carbon Cub will work, or you can make your own. As others have suggested - just bring the Beast in nose-high & plop it into the grass with the gear on & it will usually just sit there on the gear.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:15 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,493 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish99 View Post
That might is a darn good analogy AP. Flying the wings off the Sbach right now, as it just makes me look better than I am, so crisp and "precise" as you put it, little better than the Beast. Yet I still find the Beast to be the one that makes me just outright smile the most. Weird.

Marlin
Guys,

Here's what I wrote about the two planes just over a year ago:

I love flying the Sbach every bit as much as I love flying the Beast - but I don't feel the same way about the plane. The Beast is a very personal aircraft. It is to be enjoyed similarly to how one enjoys fine music or fine wine. The Sbach is more like elegant mathematics. Efficient, clever, accurate, precise - and very much impersonal. Not that this is bad. It is simply different. I feel bad when I damage one of my Beasts. I don't feel the same way when I damage my Sbach.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:29 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,025 Posts
Well---As an aside---I got in some late afternoon flights in on my V1 B3D on 3S...These will be the last late afternoon flights for 5 freakin' months due to going back to standard time...I won't get home from work with enough daylight left to fly...Daylight savings has always been my fiend!!!...Also, daylight savings time = warm weather and light...Standard time = cold, nasty whether and it getting dark by 5:00PM...I hate winter!!!

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:36 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,780 Posts
god I'm glad I'm a snow skier...and I have lights on my CC!
Looking forward to cold, nasty weather so I can get some indoor time to re-wing my Beast.
Do feel bad about you losing your afterwork flight time though Kevin. It'll be back.
MIke
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:51 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,255 Posts
Joel, i was actually thinking of that exact same post in my post up this page! While i LOVE both of them, the way the beast attaches to your heart personally and makes you smile is what makes a great machine. I machine that can be more than just a bunch of moving parts.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Nov 05, 2012, 07:57 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
Well---As an aside---I got in some late afternoon flights in on my V1 B3D on 3S...These will be the last late afternoon flights for 5 freakin' months due to going back to standard time...I won't get home from work with enough daylight left to fly...Daylight savings has always been my fiend!!!...Also, daylight savings time = warm weather and light...Standard time = cold, nasty whether and it getting dark by 5:00PM...I hate winter!!!

Kevin
Same here in Charlotte, I fly at dusk most evenings after work, now it will be trying to find time on weekends. Well there is always indoor flying but not quite the same a flying Beast at dusk with setting sun on your back!
Tim
w4yn is online now Find More Posts by w4yn