Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:46 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
After recharging all three packs here are the figures I got:

Turnigy NanoTech---43mAh

TP 32mAh

Hyperion 34mAh

I attribute the higher mAh consumption of the NanoTech pack due to it being a brand new pack on its first flight...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:49 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crvnation View Post
Personally, I'm more interested as to how long those Turnigys will keep up that performance over the long haul, as compared to the "vastly" more expensive premium brands.
Your not thinking this through---I can buy 3 Turnigy Nanotech packs for the price of ONE Hyperion pack...There's your value and long haul test wrapped up in one nice neat package......Your sarcasm noted......

Kevin
Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:50 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Please keep us updated on how they perform over time as you get many, many charge cycles on the Turnigys...
crvnation is offline Find More Posts by crvnation
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:54 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
My turnigy's have had maybe 5 runs each in the Mig... this weekend the first one showed signs of puffing....

My Thunder Power G6 325 on the other hand has been flogged for over a year and is still rock hard and packing a punch as I used t straight after the turnigy to compare.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:16 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
My turnigy's have had maybe 5 runs each in the Mig... this weekend the first one showed signs of puffing....

My Thunder Power G6 325 on the other hand has been flogged for over a year and is still rock hard and packing a punch as I used t straight after the turnigy to compare.
Although EDFs are quite different, that's pretty much what I expected. My TPs and Hyperions have fared much better than the cheapies in my micro helis over the long haul. My Beast 3D is too new to tell, but the Hyperion 240s I have now (only batts I have for it) are doing fine.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:03 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post

Quote:
Although EDFs are quite different, that's pretty much what I expected. My TPs and Hyperions have fared much better than the cheapies in my micro helis over the long haul. My Beast 3D is too new to tell, but the Hyperion 240s I have now (only batts I have for it) are doing fine.
This has been my experience, as well. I've had nothing but bad luck with the cheapies in higher-current apps. I stick with Hyperion & TP because I know they'll still be going strong when they're 3 years old & have 300+ cycles on them. I've heard far too many reports of puffed packs from the EDF guys I know who have tried the larger Turnigys - many within the first few flights. I'll pass.....

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:52 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
Less than 5 amps is not a high current application with the Beast and Sbach...I'm keeping an open mind...Additionally, I've run these to LVC on purpose to see what they'll do as they are cheap enough...I've run them down to 3.3-3.2 volts per cell and all have come back fine...No puffing and not even warm...

Since I am a licenced Digital Thermogrpher I could go a step or two further to see exactly what the temps are of the batts after a hard run in either the Beast or Sbach...

The main thing to consider is that the NanoTechs are 1/3rd the cost of premium brands...If you end up with more flights overall with the Nanotechs then these are the better value...I've gotta say that I've stopped buying larger ThunderPower batts due to them puffing after a few uses...I have several SkyLipo batts used in some REAL high amperage uses (110-120amps) and none show signs of puffing where as my TP batts puffed almost immediately...My smaller TP batts are still going strong after a year of micro DF use...

Again, I'm going to keep on testing these...And MAN--Do they put out the poop when new!!!...Please don't shoot he messenger as I'm just reporting what I'm seeing in my tests...You may end up with some frowning posts a month from now over the NanoTechs---But until then, I'm going to fly the snot out of them!!!...I put 5 flights in this evening in 10-15 mph winds...

Kevin
Last edited by Kevin Greene; Oct 21, 2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:01 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
I like mine! Bought them after your posts, switched the balance plug out with an UMX connector and they work great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
Less than 5 amps is not a high current application with the Beast and Sbach...I' keeping an open mind...Additionally, I've run these to LVC on purpose to see what they'll do as they are cheap enough...I've run them down to 3.3-3.2 volts per cell and all have come back fine...No puffing and not even warm...

Since I am a licenced Digital Thermogrpher I could go a step or two further to see exactly what the temps are of the batts after a hard run in either the Beast or Sbach...

The main thing to consider is that the NanoTechs are 1/3rd the cost of premium brands...If you end up with more flights overall with the Nanotechs then these are the better value...I've gotta say that I've stopped buying larger ThunderPower batts due to them puffing after a few uses...I have several SkyLipo batts used in some REAL high amperage uses (110-120amps) and none show signs of puffing where as my TP batts puffed almost immediately...My smaller TP batts are still going strong after a year of micro DF use...

Again, I'm going to keep on testing these...And MAN--Do they put out the poop when new!!!...Please don't shoot he messenger as I'm just reporting what I'm seeing in my tests...You may end up with some frowning posts a month from now over the NanoTechs---But until then, I'm going to fly the snot out of them!!!...I put 5 flights in this evening in 10-15 mph winds...

Kevin
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:40 PM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,917 Posts
I've had nothing but good luck with the Turnigys.

I just ordered six more of their 260 e-flite packs. They're great and at $5.00 a pack can't go wrong.

Just wish they'd stock them in their US warehouse! Oh well, I can wait
TurboRacer is offline Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:08 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboRacer View Post
I've had nothing but good luck with the Turnigys.

I just ordered six more of their 260 e-flite packs. They're great and at $5.00 a pack can't go wrong.

Just wish they'd stock them in their US warehouse! Oh well, I can wait
I think that they have a decent recipe now, so luck doesn't have much to do with it anymore! (It used too!). Sure enough, pretty much like any battery pack, you'll still see a dud every now and then, but otherwise, they are doing pretty well. What's truly sad though, is the fact that they screwed up the buddy code system (only one buddy code per order). People keep talking about buying them for $5 each, but when I could use multiple buddy codes, I always ordered 3 of them for $2.50 each (180mah then) in each of my orders. Heck, you could even order 3 of them alone for $2.99 shipping and include some small emergency stuff with it like horns, hinges, etc. That's a bit over $3 each delivered. Now, I keep the buddy codes for more expensive stuff. (I can save more my ordering one single expensive item that save me $15). But even then, if you post your buddy codes, there's a chance somebody will use it, and you still get some money back, making them cheaper than $5.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:50 AM
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
I've used other modelers buddy codes that they offered up---But never my own because I don't know how to find them...Anyone care to help me find how to retrieve the BC's...

Kevin
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:28 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
This has been my experience, as well. I've had nothing but bad luck with the cheapies in higher-current apps. I stick with Hyperion & TP because I know they'll still be going strong when they're 3 years old & have 300+ cycles on them. I've heard far too many reports of puffed packs from the EDF guys I know who have tried the larger Turnigys - many within the first few flights. I'll pass.....

Joel
Exactly... Kevin "sarcasm noted" Greene is probably going to get nowhere close to the number of cycles as a single Hyperion or TP. Even with three cheapies back to back and even in a no-so-high current application like an EDF or heli.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 05:03 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
Quote:
Exactly... Kevin "sarcasm noted" Greene is probably going to get nowhere close to the number of cycles as a single Hyperion or TP. Even with three cheapies back to back and even in a no-so-high current application like an EDF or heli.
Can you step back and chill for a moment...I'm just reporting some figures for all to enjoy and see and not trying to engage in a pissing contest---No more, no less---I don't work for HK and in fact try to buy elsewhere when possible..Your sarcastic language and negativity have been noted......I'm spending my own money and taking the time to report my figures so that those down the road can either enjoy a great find or steer clear of a dud...Right now the NanoTechs are kicking both TP and Hyperions ass all over the sky...I do have battery logging software but have never bothered to use it...I guess now is the time to learn how the software works...

Kevin
Old Oct 22, 2012, 05:11 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,885 Posts
Quote:
Instead of making up "probably" scenarios, why don't we let him experiment and report results? Making up "the way things will be" instead of reporting "the way things are" isn't very useful.

What's a "no-so-high" current application?
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:57 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,189 Posts
It would be very interesting to see a comparison between the Nano 300 35c and the modern TP G6 325 65c pack, rather than comparing the new 35c Nano to a lower-capacity, ancient-tech 25c TP pack. Same goes for the Hyp packs. It would be very interesting to see how the Nano 300 35c compares to a Hyp 320 25c pack, or the new Hyp 400 35c UMX pack.

Note: To get accurate RPM readings with an optical tach, one must make sure that there are no lights on in the room. If any light from an AC-powered or PWM light-source hits the optical sensor, it will make the tach read artificially high. It is absolutely imperative that the sensor only sees natural light.

But the only truly accurate way to compare LiPos over the course of a discharge cycle is to use a quality battery analyzer.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member