SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 20, 2012, 04:36 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,780 Posts
I'm starting to notice in some videos that guys are not using stock tires. I roll off of high school running track. Very abrasive and way too much (texture). Sometimes my wheels won't start rolling and I nose down and scrape the prop. I suppose I should look into getting better tires/wheels. Any recommendations for the Beast and Sbach?
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:49 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,223 Posts
Funny enough, the GB wheels fit perfectly, ridiculously huge, but work.
airpower is online now Find More Posts by airpower
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:59 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,780 Posts
Ok...
By now I've been to Quantum Hobby.com and checked out their line of Dubro Wheels. Got some 1.25 in. sport wheels should work and look ok on Sbach and Beast. I know that lawnmowers roll a lot better (easier) with large wheels and so I'm giving it a try.
I gotta say that I really like shopping at Quantum Hobbies. Bought 2 set of wheels and 6 GWS props. The shipping was $2.95. Last week I shopped online for some UMX sized control horns. The site wanted $7.95 to ship two control horns that probably don't even weigh a gram together. My pet peeve about online shopping. I could go on.
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:06 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
When they're all hooked up in parallel, they all balance out between them so they all get the same treatment from the charger. I went through the same skepticism you are going through now. There is much discussion and testing of this over in the batteries/charger forums. The easiest thing to do is just trust us: It works! I've been doing it for years with no problems at all. It's a great trick!
Yep!

Perfect parallel charging pic below...

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:14 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
There is argument and measurements that show the combo of full/empty packs is not harmful. I'm not sure I buy it either. I think it's something to be careful of.

I'm still impressed by this old test...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=264

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:32 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
Very impressive video. Wish you had a hat cam and a little better background as it is hard to see. I'd have to say I've never seen flying quite like this. I'm wondering:
1. Which holes the ailerons are set in? And I would assume that the rudder and elevator are set in the stock position (maxed out, closest holes).
2. The battery/motor seems very lively. Is it stock motor and what battery?
Thank you for posting most amazing flying, not to mention bumpiest landing strip ever.
Mike
Hi Mike, Ailerons are in second from the outermost holes, Rudder and Elevator in stock innermost hole. The high rotation rate is because the wings are stalled and the plane is tumbling. If you look the fast rotation is actually in the pitch axis.

The motor is a 3000kv with a 5030 prop on it. Batteries are Babbelbat Hyperion 240s.

And yes my landing area is insanely bumpy. I still run the risk of noseovers even with the large 1.25" wheels. Basically there are bigger rocks in the middle, while the outer areas where the car tires roll it is smoother as the rocks are compacted down into the dirt more.

Quote:
I'm starting to notice in some videos that guys are not using stock tires. I roll off of high school running track. Very abrasive and way too much (texture). Sometimes my wheels won't start rolling and I nose down and scrape the prop. I suppose I should look into getting better tires/wheels. Any recommendations for the Beast and Sbach?
Mike
On my Beast I have the DuBro 1.25" microlite wheels. The fit on the stock gear just fine and you can even use the stock wheel pants with the clip!

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:34 PM
United States, NM, Santa Fe
Joined Aug 2011
411 Posts
Quote:
Mike

1" mini dubro tires are great.

I used the end of a servo arm as a wheelnut

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Du-Bro-Mini-...-/160497344557

some folks like the 1.5" for dirt/gravel.
I find the 1" big enough for asphalt, concrete, track, molten lava
weight goes up the larger you go.

on the beast I tried a variety of things and then went back to stock--stock has least amount of bounce since they are so soft.
flyrtim is offline Find More Posts by flyrtim
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:53 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,175 Posts
I made the wheels out of 1/16 in. liteply with inner nyrod plastic tubing for axle bushings. They go through the grass like a bicycle wheel rather than try to climb over it. All of my weeny foamies have these. My control throws are the same as above. Does inside and outside snaps with the best of them A funny thing is, when it does a violent fast flatspin, sometimes the gyro will take over and pull it out into a spiral dive. Comical to watch.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:08 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
I now have 3 Beasts---One V1 with lights for night flying, a V2 for experimentation and the last V2 for a pristine aircraft...At least I'm trying to keep it pristine!!!...

The 3rd AS3X Beast has had problems---First, the rudder servo was bad...I replaced it and got it flying...On the maiden I experienced a couple of cutoffs...I did a rebinding of the aircraft and went up again with a fresh pack...The plane lost all power and nosed in to soft grass...I knew something was drastically wrong with the RX...I tested the model on the ground and the ESC on the brick failed, causing the motor to stutter and not spin properly...

I was going to call HH for a new brick but this is the second one within a month failing...I decided to take things into my own hands...

Using the X-Port I got a servo to operate on channel 5/gear channel...(The servo was used to easily see if the X-Port was working properly)...Next, I mixed the throttle to the gear channel and inhibited the gear switch...All was good as the mix worked...I then soldered in a 6 amp external ESC...You have to omit the red wire as the brick draws its power from the battery and not the ESC...

I now have an externally mounted ESC that is smooth as silk and operates GREAT!!!...

I used hot glue to tack the ESC to the side of the fuselage.....I also removed the heat shrink from the ESC to get more air across the ESC...

Here are some pics and you can notice that the battery tray was removed and placed on the floor of the fuselage to make room for 3S...I also cut away some of the face of the cowl to get more air into the fuselage to cool the ESC and brick...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:19 PM
Joined Jun 2010
78 Posts
Beast Newbie

I have flying helis for about 3 years and have dabbled in planes a little. I have a P47 formie and a 300 3D for indoor flying. How is the UMX Beast. Is it too fast for a newb. I am doing 3D on my heli. I can fly my current planes without crashing. What are the recommended batteries. I read the stocker are garbage.
Thanks
Lompma is offline Find More Posts by Lompma
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:12 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,175 Posts
I've been feeling mine out in order to fly it indoors.later. On a calm day a few days ago, I had it flying in high alpha, almost a vertical hover, as stable as a 60 sized 3D plane. I had it flying at about a mile an hr at about 3 ft. altitude and a buddy picked it out of the air. Great little plane with lots of surprises still in store. I have the CG back far enough where it takes very little down elev. to fly inverted.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:25 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lompma View Post
I have flying helis for about 3 years and have dabbled in planes a little. I have a P47 formie and a 300 3D for indoor flying. How is the UMX Beast. Is it too fast for a newb. I am doing 3D on my heli. I can fly my current planes without crashing. What are the recommended batteries. I read the stocker are garbage.
Thanks
If you can handle the Extra 300 pretty good, you won't have any trouble with the Beast. It flys the same, just a lot faster when you open the throttle.
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:41 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lompma View Post
Thanks
Can you do a thread search?
airpower is online now Find More Posts by airpower
Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:09 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
Turboparker (Joel) asked for some battery tests at the 30 second mark...I made these readings with a 2500kv Beast motor and stock prop...I ran each battery at full throttle for 30 seconds and recorded the RPM at the start and at the 30 second interval...Here are my results:

Turnigy NanoTech 300 mAh 35C---This battery was brand new and not broken in...Top RPM at the start was 11,450 and dropped to 11,000/10,900 after 30 seconds at full throttle...

ThunderPower 350mAh 25C G6---Top RPM at the start was 11,500 RPM and dropped to 10,800/10,750 RPM after 30 seconds at full throttle...

Hyperion 240mAh 25C G3---11,520 top RPM at the start and fell off to 10,800/10,700 RPM after 30 seconds at full throttle...

As you can see that the batts are pretty close to each other in power but the Turnigy NanoTechs get the nod for slightly more power AND being VASTLY less expensive than the premium brands...I do have TP 250mAh batts and could have tested these as well...Right now, I'm looking at how many mAh's need to be put back into the packs after 30 seconds at full throttle...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:18 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Personally, I'm more interested as to how long those Turnigys will keep up that performance over the long haul, as compared to the "vastly" more expensive premium brands.
crvnation is offline Find More Posts by crvnation
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)