HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 19, 2012, 04:47 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
But the UMX connector fits nothing else I have...All of the rest of my micros from other manufacturers have the JST connector so I adapted all of my planes to these...Additionally, almost all of the popular batts offer the JST connector as well..

Kevin
Well, your problem is that you don't have enough UMX planes and Blade helis! Buy more. Buy lots. Then the UMX connector will fit most of what you have.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:19 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Well, your problem is that you don't have enough UMX planes and Blade helis! Buy more. Buy lots. Then the UMX connector will fit most of what you have.
LOL!

I see that we used the same fix! Now I put the UMX connector on my other stuff that uses the same size packs. I prefer a single connector on the small stuff for the weight & space savings, but I won't give up balance-charging because I charge my packs at 5c+.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:24 PM
Joined Dec 2010
7,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
LOL!

I see that we used the same fix! Now I put the UMX connector on my other stuff that uses the same size packs. I prefer a single connector on the small stuff for the weight & space savings, but I won't give up balance-charging because I charge my packs at 5c+.

Joel
Yes... when it comes to the 3S stuff I have balance taps on them. It's a "must".
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:39 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,648 Posts
I use the MiniDeans as it's what's on all of my indoor goodies. I just soldered to the two outside wire if the existing connector.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:29 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
Exactly. Not like 6-batts-at-a-time UMX parallel charge cables are expensive or hard to come by, either. I don't need/want an extra balancing plug hanging off such small batteries, anyways.
crvnation is offline Find More Posts by crvnation
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:53 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Quote:
I may try these. It's just too bad they have a 2C max charge rate.

Edit: I just weighed my Hyperion 2S 240mAh packs and they are 15.4g. HK says these 300's are 17g. Have you weighed them? Not that much of a difference, but they're not the same weight according to HK's site.
I soldered the UMX connector to my 300 35C packs and left the JST plug on them. In that configuration the packs were 16.8, 17.2, and 17.4.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:02 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,535 Posts
I finally was able to get video of a KE spin (0:24) and a Lomcevak (0:09) on my B3D. I've had better KE spins but it this at least shows it is possible.

Short E-Flite UMX Beast3D Flight (1 min 4 sec)

had a couple Takeoffs and landings at the end as well. Sorry for the crappy camera angle, had to set the camera on a folding chair to get the video.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:41 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,636 Posts
Brian,

Very impressive! I've managed to pull off a few Lomcevaks with the B3D (not consistently, however), but I've never managed to do a KE spin with it. Did you use the standard entry? How much throttle were you using?

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:14 AM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crvnation View Post
Exactly. Not like 6-batts-at-a-time UMX parallel charge cables are expensive or hard to come by, either. I don't need/want an extra balancing plug hanging off such small batteries, anyways.
How does the charger know which cell is lower or higher than the rest when only one sensor wire is used???...The charger sees the 6 batts on as one pack and will only charge to an "average" of the cells leaving some over charged and some under charged...I'll stick with monitoring/charging my packs individually......

I have multiple chargers and now about 30 battery packs...I can take 3 chargers to the field and I'll bet that I never run out of battery packs for the day...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:16 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
I've been charging multi-cell UMX batteries in helis and planes for years. I've never had an unbalanced pack at the end of a charge with the stock setup. I do also storage charge them individually after ever flying session.
crvnation is offline Find More Posts by crvnation
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:47 AM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Brian,

Very impressive! I've managed to pull off a few Lomcevaks with the B3D (not consistently, however), but I've never managed to do a KE spin with it. Did you use the standard entry? How much throttle were you using?

Joel
I used a full scale entry for them Pull vertical with just under enough power for a hover, so basically slowly decelerating in the vertical. On the way up positive snap roll switching to negative snap same side. If you do it right the positive snap will get 3/4 of the way around as the momentum is running out and your the plane will be about 45* or so angle on its side, then abruptly give full negative elevator and increase power to 3/4+ while keeping the rudder and ailerons hard over. If the plane's vertical energy was right it will VERY HARSHLY tumble once then the nose will drop down as it does the second tumble. It should be in a KE 10*-15* nose down attitude I usually have to add throttle to keep the KE spin going. As you can see it spins at about this attitude. Be high as you do it as it falls quite fast and recovery takes another 15-20ft under the best conditions, ask me how I know. I'm just glad my grass was long that day!

The only other thing I've noticed is that it is not in a perfect KE it is actually about 5*-10* to the inverted side, still very close though.

-Brian
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:55 AM
Joined Dec 2010
7,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
How does the charger know which cell is lower or higher than the rest when only one sensor wire is used???...The charger sees the 6 batts on as one pack and will only charge to an "average" of the cells leaving some over charged and some under charged...I'll stick with monitoring/charging my packs individually......

I have multiple chargers and now about 30 battery packs...I can take 3 chargers to the field and I'll bet that I never run out of battery packs for the day...

Kevin
When they're all hooked up in parallel, they all balance out between them so they all get the same treatment from the charger. I went through the same skepticism you are going through now. There is much discussion and testing of this over in the batteries/charger forums. The easiest thing to do is just trust us: It works! I've been doing it for years with no problems at all. It's a great trick!
Old Oct 20, 2012, 01:12 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,535 Posts
Quote:
When they're all hooked up in parallel, they all balance out between them so they all get the same treatment from the charger. I went through the same skepticism you are going through now. There is much discussion and testing of this over in the batteries/charger forums. The easiest thing to do is just trust us: It works! I've been doing it for years with no problems at all. It's a great trick!
The only dangers are plugging in a full pack and an empty pack at the same time or forgetting to plug in every battery and charging the other as if all 6 were plugged in. (not a problem in auto-sensing chargers like the FMA multi4/10/powerlabs)

-Brian
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:54 PM
Joined Dec 2010
7,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
The only dangers are plugging in a full pack and an empty pack at the same time or forgetting to plug in every battery and charging the other as if all 6 were plugged in. (not a problem in auto-sensing chargers like the FMA multi4/10/powerlabs)

-Brian
There is argument and measurements that show the combo of full/empty packs is not harmful. I'm not sure I buy it either. I think it's something to be careful of.

Your second point is entirely correct! I plug each battery separately into its dedicated plug and read the balance information first. Then I plug them all in to charge and hopefully all make the same electrical connection they just made individually seconds before. But there is that chance...

I also check them individually before I fly just in case one got missed that way. It hasn't happened so far, but it's always a possibility.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:33 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
I finally was able to get video of a KE spin (0:24) and a Lomcevak (0:09) on my B3D. I've had better KE spins but it this at least shows it is possible.

http://youtu.be/ZAwMWgPAXy4

had a couple Takeoffs and landings at the end as well. Sorry for the crappy camera angle, had to set the camera on a folding chair to get the video.

-Brian
Very impressive video. Wish you had a hat cam and a little better background as it is hard to see. I'd have to say I've never seen flying quite like this. I'm wondering:
1. Which holes the ailerons are set in? And I would assume that the rudder and elevator are set in the stock position (maxed out, closest holes).
2. The battery/motor seems very lively. Is it stock motor and what battery?
Thank you for posting most amazing flying, not to mention bumpiest landing strip ever.
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike