HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:16 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
How would you react if I told you that you can get 400 more RPM for the same weight as the 2S Hyperion 240mAh pack and longer flight times???

Just switch to the Turnigy Nanotech 35C 300mAh batts!!!...I now have nine of these packs and luvin' every one of 'em!!!

Kevin
I may try these. It's just too bad they have a 2C max charge rate.

Edit: I just weighed my Hyperion 2S 240mAh packs and they are 15.4g. HK says these 300's are 17g. Have you weighed them? Not that much of a difference, but they're not the same weight according to HK's site.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Last edited by erkq; Oct 17, 2012 at 10:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:48 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,636 Posts
Quote:
It seems that about once a month I need to post this vid as we have SEVERAL newcomers to our Beast ranks...Here's a vid of my Beast V1 with a 450mAh 2S Gens Ace pack and a keychain camera Velcro'ed to its belly...As you can see the plane flies GREAT with the extra porky weight!!!!

Kevin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6UDK...&feature=g-upl
And here's a clip of me flying my Beast 3D with a 17-gram #16 cam on-board. (I was running on 3s, but wing-loading is wing-loading - even at 300 W/pound. ):

Eflite UMX Beast 3D on 3s - on-board video (6 min 40 sec)

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:05 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
I just received my Beast last night and I find that the battery tray sucks. No way to put a larger battery in so I took it out. Now I have a very nice place to put my 350 2s that I use on the Gee Bee...Laid on the long edge and pushed back through the the fuse slot to the brick the cg seems pretty close... Finding cg is another issue... seems it very hard to balance level. Tip SLIGHTLY forward and it falls forward. Tip SLIGHTLY rearward and it tips rearward...

How in the world are you guys getting 3s in and maintaining CG?
rt,

Not a problem.
My Hyp (3S) 180s are almost the same thickness as a stock Hyp (2S) 240.
I use this sweet 3x4" thin metal X-acto square (X7726) to slide my batts in...
http://www.utrechtart.com/X-Acto-3-x...015827.utrecht
and also to separate the Velcro and slide my 3S batt out.
Quick and slick.

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCBABBEL; May 18, 2014 at 09:10 AM.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:24 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
Huh!!! A look into Battman's secret Beasty BATterry cove?
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:36 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
Huh!!! A look into Battman's secret Beasty BATterry cove?
huh ha ah
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:46 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
I love you guys, this thread and equestria daily are the two only places on the internet where i feel home, i usually get bullied wherever i go. I can always come to this thread and RELAX, and since ive had a beast 3D since they came out, i dont read the thread thinking i need to buy a new plane The Beast really is a plane people(like me) fall in love with and it garners a cult. Its like this is the beast thread, and also the off topic beast thread were we all gather round the campfire and tell stories. Just like the off topic champ thread. But i dont have a champ... and im ashamed by that....
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:59 PM
Joined Dec 2010
7,138 Posts
Quote:
I love you guys, this thread and equestria daily are the two only places on the internet where i feel home, i usually get bullied wherever i go. I can always come to this thread and RELAX, and since ive had a beast 3D since they came out, i dont read the thread thinking i need to buy a new plane The Beast really is a plane people(like me) fall in love with and it garners a cult. Its like this is the beast thread, and also the off topic beast thread were we all gather round the campfire and tell stories. Just like the off topic champ thread. But i dont have a champ... and im ashamed by that....
Nice! So you're a horse guy too? I grew up riding horses. We had some great ones for sure! Nowhere to ride anymore without schlepping them around in a trailer, though...
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:07 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
Hey Erick! EquestriaDaily.com has nothing really to do with real horses, but i do have a background with horses. I grew up in a horse family and riding and taking care of horses, it was really fun, they were just like people and great friends. Sadly, i live in a suburban hell called Orange County, and my family financially has pretty much had to sell their horses and equipment, very sad.
Where did you grow up riding horses? My mother had the benefit of growing up in kansas and utah, endless wilderness to explore with her horse!
And now i have fantasies of flying a champ around the environment. Probably would spook the the HELL out of the horses, but they might get used to it. For someone reason a champ with a mustang motor and big tires belongs in a barn, its the perfect environment for it!
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:17 AM
Joined Dec 2010
7,138 Posts
Quote:
Hey Erick! EquestriaDaily.com has nothing really to do with real horses, but i do have a background with horses. I grew up in a horse family and riding and taking care of horses, it was really fun, they were just like people and great friends. Sadly, i live in a suburban hell called Orange County, and my family financially has pretty much had to sell their horses and equipment, very sad.
Where did you grow up riding horses? My mother had the benefit of growing up in kansas and utah, endless wilderness to explore with her horse!
And now i have fantasies of flying a champ around the environment. Probably would spook the the HELL out of the horses, but they might get used to it. For someone reason a champ with a mustang motor and big tires belongs in a barn, its the perfect environment for it!
Well, this really is very OT, but I can't resist. We had a weekend place here in Sebastopol. 10 acres. It's where I built my house, if you ever seen any of my Beast/keycam videos. A huge land-owner, Mr. Pedroia, felt kids should have the experience of knocking around outside and having FUN so he allowed us neighborhood kids to ride where ever we wanted on his property and he had hundreds of acres if not thousands... great swaths of forest, canyons, meadows, orchards, roads, trails... great fun. Well, he died and his heirs divided it all up and built on it. They still have 50 acres or more per house, but it's no longer available for riding. Well, the timing was great. I had a great time as a kid and a teen-ager! Mr. Pedroia was a funny guy... very grumpy. We went by his house once to thank him for our great fun. His wife called him out. We told him how much we appreciated him. He grunted, threw a hand at us slowly and went back inside. He didn't want anything to do with us!
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:42 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
Its ok Erick, ill keep your OT secret
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:30 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,636 Posts
Cool stuff! We never owned any horses, but I used to do a bit of riding. One of my cousins was into horses when we were younger, and I used to ride every summer when we'd go there to visit for a week or so. I also worked at the riding stable on the naval air station at Millington TN for a bit, while I was waiting for my radar school to start. I rode the trails & helped people who were having trouble. Later on, I had a girlfriend who was seriously into horses, and we rode together a lot. I really enjoyed riding, but it's been a long time.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:02 AM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
I may try these. It's just too bad they have a 2C max charge rate.

Edit: I just weighed my Hyperion 2S 240mAh packs and they are 15.4g. HK says these 300's are 17g. Have you weighed them? Not that much of a difference, but they're not the same weight according to HK's site.
I weighed both and they weigh the same....However I do have balance taps that I installed on my Hyperions...I had some Hyperions without balance taps get so out of balance they were ruined rather quickly...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:04 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
I weighed both and they weigh the same....However I do have balance taps that I installed on my Hyperions...I had some Hyperions without balance taps get so out of balance they were ruined rather quickly...

Kevin
Exactly why I like the stock UMX connector.
crvnation is offline Find More Posts by crvnation
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:13 AM
Joined Dec 2010
7,138 Posts
Quote:

Kevin
Cool. Thanks. I'm going to wait for people to feed their 3S itch on this plane before I order the HK's. Because if 3S works I have 4 of those packs and once you've done 3S, there's no going back! I've even installed a heatsink on my FETs in anticipation while I had it open for some foam carving.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 04:41 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crvnation View Post
Exactly why I like the stock UMX connector.
But the UMX connector fits nothing else I have...All of the rest of my micros from other manufacturers have the JST connector so I adapted all of my planes to these...Additionally, almost all of the popular batts offer the JST connector as well..

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene