HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:30 PM
Joined Nov 2009
185 Posts
I hate to admit it but I have never even checked the CG on my Beast. I just move the battery around until it flies like I want. I’m using the HK-180 and currently put it about as far aft as I can get it.

I was flying both my Beasts at the field the other day and noticed that the AS3X Beast seems to be more tolerant of an aft CG than the original.
Sky Writer is offline Find More Posts by Sky Writer
Last edited by Sky Writer; Oct 17, 2012 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Changed UMX to AS3X to correct wrong acronym!
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:38 PM
Canada, ON, Calabogie
Joined May 2011
261 Posts
The 2500KV motor has a very unique prop adapter and I don't think there are any alternative other than the stock one.

Mind you the stock adapter is pretty robust.

Has anyone found anything else that would work?
msdumo is offline Find More Posts by msdumo
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:39 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Writer View Post
I was flying both my Beasts at the field the other day and noticed that the UMX Beast seems to be more tolerant of an aft CG than the original.
They are both UMX beasts. I assume you're saying the Beast 3D is more tolerant than the original V1. Yes, of course, with a gyro on the elevator the plane will remain more stable in pitch over a wider CG envelope.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:19 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdumo View Post
The 2500KV motor has a very unique prop adapter and I don't think there are any alternative other than the stock one.

Mind you the stock adapter is pretty robust.

Has anyone found anything else that would work?
This is not the general consensus!! I have on;y broke one in a crash, but stories abound of them breaking on simple prop strikes and grass landings!

Shapeways has an unbreakable one. ICU store here.

As to CG: at this scale it'll be hard to balance it. the best way is to get it somewhat close and the fly to fine tune.

-Brian
kalmon is online now Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:31 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
As to CG: at this scale it'll be hard to balance it. the best way is to get it somewhat close and the fly to fine tune.
Why not just build a jig from some bent coat hangars and pencil erasers on the balancing point ends? Can't be that hard. Just transcribe the CG from the bottom wing straight up to the top wing and "hang" it from there.
crvnation is offline Find More Posts by crvnation
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:41 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,891 Posts
Never checked the CG on any of my UM's. Place the battery about in the middle and fly. Adjust from there. Biggest mistake you can make with the Beast is stuffing in some overweight lipo and then expecting it to fly decently. A 180 makes it nice and floaty and it will 3D all day long. Stuff a "pig" lipo in and watch the performance suffer.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is online now Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:54 PM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hoorn View Post
Stuff a "pig" lipo in and watch the performance suffer.
Gary
Unless that pig lipo is a 3S
TurboRacer is online now Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:58 PM
Joined Nov 2009
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
They are both UMX beasts. I assume you're saying the Beast 3D is more tolerant than the original V1. Yes, of course, with a gyro on the elevator the plane will remain more stable in pitch over a wider CG envelope.
Yes, I meant AS3X not UMX. Too many darn acronyms to remember! I went ahead and fixed that. Thanks for pointing it out!

The CG tolerance is an unexpected benefit of the stabilizer system that I do not recall having seen any comments on.

I have had such good luck and exceptional performance - not to mention plain old FUN - from my Beast 3D this summer that 3 or 4 other guys at the field have bought them too. I think it has made me better at getting out of unusual attitudes as I would never dream of taking my bigger planes down on the deck for some maneuvers I have tried with the Beast 3D.
Sky Writer is offline Find More Posts by Sky Writer
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:18 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
Never checked the CG on any of my UM's. Place the battery about in the middle and fly. Adjust from there. Biggest mistake you can make with the Beast is stuffing in some overweight lipo and then expecting it to fly decently. A 180 makes it nice and floaty and it will 3D all day long. Stuff a "pig" lipo in and watch the performance suffer.
Gary
My Hyperion 240s are pretty snappy.
crvnation is offline Find More Posts by crvnation
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:30 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,636 Posts
I fly both Hyp 240 and Eflight 180, don't really notice much difference if at all.
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:43 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crvnation View Post
Why not just build a jig from some bent coat hangars and pencil erasers on the balancing point ends? Can't be that hard. Just transcribe the CG from the bottom wing straight up to the top wing and "hang" it from there.
The problem is the scale. At this small scale very small variations in air currents and small distances from the balance point will cause large plane movement on a balance jig. We're talking tenths of a mm. This and the fact that any of these UMX planes will at least fly with the battery anywhere in the tray, means the best thing to do is get it close on fingertips then fly and adjust from there. Book CG is meant for a starting point anyways. True CG is found by flying and looking for inverted slight nose drop to hands off level. Making sure there is no tuck in KE, etc.

Quote:
Gary
Actually the Beast is a great heavy lifter. The extremely generous wing loading lets this little plane carry quite a heavy payload. People have stapped keychain cameras to the plane and then flew it with 240+ mAh packs. Yeah it wont 3D well but it actually flies very well. Just lands a little faster.

I personally love the way mine flies with a rather portly 300mAh 3S pack, Almost 30g!! unlimited vertical, great wind penetration.

-Brian
kalmon is online now Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:00 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,891 Posts
While the Beast may carry all the weight it will not do decent 3D which is why I purchased mine. I have flown my with Hyp 240's and notice the difference. I guess if you are trying to make a sows ear out of silk purse go ahead and pile on the weight
Gary
Gary Hoorn is online now Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:10 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
To check the CG just place your fingers under the top wing at the tips...Problem not knowing the CG solved!!!
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:15 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
The problem is the scale. At this small scale very small variations in air currents and small distances from the balance point will cause large plane movement on a balance jig. We're talking tenths of a mm. This and the fact that any of these UMX planes will at least fly with the battery anywhere in the tray, means the best thing to do is get it close on fingertips then fly and adjust from there. Book CG is meant for a starting point anyways. True CG is found by flying and looking for inverted slight nose drop to hands off level. Making sure there is no tuck in KE, etc.

Actually the Beast is a great heavy lifter. The extremely generous wing loading lets this little plane carry quite a heavy payload. People have stapped keychain cameras to the plane and then flew it with 240+ mAh packs. Yeah it wont 3D well but it actually flies very well. Just lands a little faster.

I personally love the way mine flies with a rather portly 300mAh 3S pack, Almost 30g!! unlimited vertical, great wind penetration.

-Brian
It seems that about once a month I need to post this vid as we have SEVERAL newcomers to our Beast ranks...Here's a vid of my Beast V1 with a 450mAh 2S Gens Ace pack and a keychain camera Velcro'ed to its belly...As you can see the plane flies GREAT with the extra porky weight!!!!

Kevin

Beast.wmv (4 min 27 sec)
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:31 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
Quote:
While the Beast may carry all the weight it will not do decent 3D which is why I purchased mine. I have flown my with Hyp 240's and notice the difference. I guess if you are trying to make a sows ear out of silk purse go ahead and pile on the weight
Gary
How would you react if I told you that you can get 400 more RPM for the same weight as the 2S Hyperion 240mAh pack and longer flight times???

Just switch to the Turnigy Nanotech 35C 300mAh batts!!!...I now have nine of these packs and luvin' every one of 'em!!!

Kevin