HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:35 PM
Registered User
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
Are you sure of that wind speed? That's pretty incredible. As a sailor I know that over estimating wind speed is the norm...
I was using the National Weather Service for my actual wind speed readings yesterday...Across the street we had trees snap due to wind gusts over 45mph...

As I stated---I will never fly the Beast in winds that great again as I can say "Been there, done that!!!"...

I got in a new Beast 3D today for a pristine Beast to fly...And then the rudder servo was defective...I'm getting tired of defective servos!!!...I replaced the servo mechanics with new mechanics and got the new Beast going like new....HH owes me two new servo mechanics for this and my Sbach!!!...

I swapped out the motor from my original Beast (2300kv motor) into my older Beast 3D with a 5043 GWS prop...I've got to say that this combo on 2S is MUCH better!!!...The plane was very quiet and motor/prop vibrations were non-existant!!!...(I balance all of my props but this combo was extremely quiet!!!)...The plane flew as if on rails and no squirrelyness with the AS3X as I've experienced with the 2500kv motor...I was able to do about 3 torque rolls when hovering this plane on this combo...With the 2500kv motor and a 5030 GWS prop I was only able to do one torque roll...NOT that I'm a 3D expert---FAR from it!!!...

I now have 3 Beasts---The first is a V1 model that has lights to fly at night...The second one is for experimenting, and the third is to put those experiments to good use for a pristine flying AS3X Beast...I'm lovin' it!!!

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Last edited by Kevin Greene; Oct 15, 2012 at 10:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:55 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
Are you sure of that wind speed? That's pretty incredible. As a sailor I know that over estimating wind speed is the norm...
Yup. As a sailor, sailboat racer, storm-chaser, and 30-year RC pilot, I am quite aware of the tendency to over-estimate wind-speed. I am also aware that winds aloft are often stronger than winds at ground-level.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Oct 15, 2012 at 11:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:52 AM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Yup. As a sailor, sailboat racer, storm-chaser, and 30-year RC pilot, I am quite aware of the tendency to over-estimate wind-speed. I am also aware that winds aloft are often stronger than winds at ground-level.

Joel
I was hoping you had some REAL experience with wind, but of well
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:14 AM
Parkzone junkie
kalmon's Avatar
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Yup. As a sailor, sailboat racer, storm-chaser, and 30-year RC pilot, I am quite aware of the tendency to over-estimate wind-speed. I am also aware that winds aloft are often stronger than winds at ground-level.

Joel
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
I was hoping you had some REAL experience with wind, but of well
Yeah well my wife tells me I'm full of hot air sometimes.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:22 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
I was hoping you had some REAL experience with wind, but of well
LOL! I neglected to mention my full-scale fixed-wing experience, and that I also worked at a seaplane base for a few years when I was a kid. I also have a handheld anemometer. Plus, there is a nearby wx station that I can use to cross-check the wind-speed when I'm flying at the club field.

Remember - I was flying on 3s in those winds, and I was also running the 2300Kv/5043 setup. On 2s, the plane would have been unable to make headway in winds that strong - especially with the factory setup. Also, the high peak G-loads due to the heavy turbulence caused significant structural damage to the airframe. I won't be trying that again! But anything under ~30 MPH is just fine on 3s - provided that there aren't any nearby obstructions that can cause rotor-winds, downwash, or other nasty local effects. With the stock motor/prop & a high-quality 2s pack, I'd definitely stay below 25 MPH peak. Considerably less when using the factory pack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Yeah well my wife tells me I'm full of hot air sometimes.

-Brian
LOL! If you ever decide to try ballooning, that could come in rather handy. I've been thinking about selling my GPS because my girlfriend often tells me where to go!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:44 AM
Have fun
airpower's Avatar
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
So, the limit to what wind the Beast 3D can handle is limited to power and structural integrity? Wow, that beast is a wizard
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:15 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
So, the limit to what wind the Beast 3D can handle is limited to power and structural integrity? Wow, that beast is a wizard
That - and of course pilot skill is also a primary factor. Pretty much the same as any other aircraft. What is notable is that the Beast 3D can easily handle wind-speeds that are very close to its top speed in level flight, and that it can also handle a lot of turbulence. Given that the V1 Sbach can handle more wind than the V1 Beast, the Sbach 3D will most likely handle the wind even better than the B3D. These gyro-dampened planes have added well over a month to my outdoor flying season.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:57 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Fish99's Avatar
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
So, the limit to what wind the Beast 3D can handle is limited to power and structural integrity? Wow, that beast is a wizard
It really is isn't it? It's like magic on a circuit board, I can't believe how CAPABLE this plane is with that AS3X in it. I STRESS TEST the heck out of mine when I fly in winds as I DO fly surrounded by houses, etc., and the wind is NEVER stable, always turbulent and un-even. (I hear you Joel about the headaches of those sudden DOWN WASH winds, check out my Street flying vid on the Micro Spitfire thread ... VERY BAD slam down on approach to one of the landings, LOL.)

This beast, with the Brushless motor is absolutely amazing. Can't wait to try the SBach with AS3X ... should be a blast, though hard pressed to knock the beast off the top of my favourite micro list.

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:37 PM
Have fun
airpower's Avatar
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
I dont want to buy the sbach, because im afraid ill fall in love with it!
Yes, no matter how many bad Geebee landings( DAMMIt it went over a thermal right as i flared!!!), how many bad loops with the mqx, or everytime the um corsair fools me into flying it, as long as my beast is ok, im happy
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:43 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
I dont want to buy the sbach, because im afraid ill fall in love with it!
Yes, no matter how many bad Geebee landings( DAMMIt it went over a thermal right as i flared!!!), how many bad loops with the mqx, or everytime the um corsair fools me into flying it, as long as my beast is ok, im happy
What's wrong with the UM Corsair?
crvnation is offline Find More Posts by crvnation
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:46 PM
Have fun
airpower's Avatar
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
Well, i like flying the corsair on the one reason its a challenge and flies like the warbirds that i see at the field that always crash. And its not in a sexy way either. I like it every once in a while when im feeling confident, and the less touch and gos and landing i do the more i like it. I was actually thinking of selling it with a spare motor today.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:05 PM
Registered User
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Now where did you get that? I am guessing you sell these too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post


rc
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:17 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
Now where did you get that? I am guessing you sell these too?
He got it from me. Want a few?
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:27 PM
Registered User
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
He got it from me. Want a few?
I want a few!!!...

Remind me---What causes a complete power loss???...I maidened my new Beast 3D today and got a few motor cutoffs but still had control of the model...I swapped out batts and then went to re-bind the brick to the TX...It took two tries for it to finally bind...I took the plane outside and went to fly it...Around a minute into the flight I lost ALL power and luckily crash landed into some soft grass...The only damage was an interplane strut...

These planes fly VERY well but I'm thinking that quality control has completely flown out of the window!!!..I replaced the rudder servo on the brick due to it being DOA...No wonder---Look at the pics---The gear wasn't even installed on the pinion...And due to the small size of the gear compared to others I have I'm not sure it's even the right gear!!!...Now, the RX seems to be flaky---I don't know what to think...I'm NOT a rookie as I've been modeling for 43 years...I'm not making rookie mistakes but at times these electric planes humble me...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:35 PM
Registered User
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
I want a few!!!...

Remind me---What causes a complete power loss???...I maidened my new Beast 3D today and got a few motor cutoffs but still had control of the model...I swapped out batts and then went to re-bind the brick to the TX...It took two tries for it to finally bind...I took the plane outside and went to fly it...Around a minute into the flight I lost ALL power and luckily crash landed into some soft grass...The only damage was an interplane strut...

These planes fly VERY well but I'm thinking that quality control has completely flown out of the window!!!..I replaced the rudder servo on the brick due to it being DOA...No wonder---Look at the pics---The gear wasn't even installed on the pinion...And due to the small size of the gear compared to others I have I'm not sure it's even the right gear!!!...Now, the RX seems to be flaky---I don't know what to think...I'm NOT a rookie as I've been modeling for 43 years...I'm not making rookie mistakes but at times these electric planes humble me...

Kevin
Yikes Kevin that sucks! I know you are not a rookie and totally agree with your thoughts on QC.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion ParkZone Ultra Micro T-28!!! THE Owners Thread!!!! dkintx Micro Ready-to-Fly 9978 Yesterday 01:19 PM
Official Parkzone P-51 Owners Thread - Part 2 monitor Parkflyers 2602 Jun 15, 2014 04:51 PM
Discussion UM beast, Now your talking qman Micro Ready-to-Fly 102 Dec 22, 2010 10:39 AM
Discussion The first OFFICIAL Parkzone Sukhoi SU-26XP BNF by ParkZone Owners thread skyjet Micro Ready-to-Fly 2 Mar 19, 2010 03:00 PM
Official Parkzone P-51 Owners Thread monitor Parkflyers 913 Oct 04, 2005 09:02 PM