HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:22 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,025 Posts
I was flying my Beast this evening...I had the elevator servo expire---Luckily the plane nosed in on soft grass...This is the second eevator servo I've had to fail in about 20 flights...At $8 for new mechanics it's getting expensive to run this plane per flight...The rudder servo is getting slow as well...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:44 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
I was flying my Beast this evening...I had the elevator servo expire---Luckily the plane nosed in on soft grass...This is the second eevator servo I've had to fail in about 20 flights...At $8 for new mechanics it's getting expensive to run this plane per flight...The rudder servo is getting slow as well...

Kevin
Ouch. I'm getting ready to maiden mine tomorrow. Is this a common problem with the Beast 3D? I don't believe I've read about it before.
crvnation is offline Find More Posts by crvnation
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:44 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crvnation View Post
Ouch. I'm getting ready to maiden mine tomorrow. Is this a common problem with the Beast 3D? I don't believe I've read about it before.
No it is not common. Just do a good pre flight test of all the controls. For piece of mind know that if there is a problem HH will take care of you. Amazing customer service.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:45 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,187 Posts
Maidened mine today with no problems other than it didn't have quite enough poop to hover, but I have a slightly better motor to put in it. A 5 gram motor from HK. I have one on a little bipe about the same size and it accelerates vertically out of a hover. Great little plane otherwise.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:03 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,243 Posts
Ive found it with plenty of power to hover, the obstacle with hovering is control, as you have to be able to maintain a fast torque roll. Try a 180 25c battery, nano-tech or hyperion, it likes the low weight.
airpower is online now Find More Posts by airpower
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:13 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,187 Posts
This was on a high discharge 180 Flightmax. I'll see if I can dig up a 240.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:15 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
This was on a high discharge 180 Flightmax. I'll see if I can dig up a 240.

Gord.
Yikes, that's your problem! Use a good battery, this thing has plenty of power to hover!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:44 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Yikes, that's your problem! Use a good battery, this thing has plenty of power to hover!
My Beast picked up about 400 RPM when I went from Hyperion 25C 240mAh batts to the 35C batts I'm now using...Hovering was easy to get in to---Maintaining it is another story!!!...I'm running a 5030 prop...I'm wondering if the stock 5x2.75 prop would be better for hovering as the lower pitch prop would allow more RPM, increasing thrust but loosing top end speed...

I have an early Beast brick that has been known for problems...The servo motors when new on the brick heated up quite a bit causing the nylon servo mounts to open up where the motors attach to the mounts..When the ESC on the brick blew the servo motor overheating stopped---Odd---When the ESC blew on this brick it was with a 2300kv motor and 5043 prop...But the servo motors overheated before I swapped the motor out...Obviously, my brick had something wrong with it before the motor swap causing the servos to overheat---Again, now that I'm running a separate ESC the servo overheating stopped...I'm guessing that the damage was done to my servos before the ESC on the brick smoked...

I have one set of new mechanics and will swap out the elevator servo...I'll need to buy another set of mechanics as the rudder servo is getting pretty slow...I'm confident that with the new servo mechanics the brick will be just fine for many flights...

Kevin
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:47 PM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,379 Posts
Quote:

Kevin
On my as3x beast I had the right ail go on second flight. Replaced that...now the left ail isn't working and getting stuck in down position. I tried deoxit, but it didn't help. I also had another brand new servo not working in my Yak 55 build. 3 servos in a week. I need to call HH tomorrow.

J
jabsten is online now Find More Posts by jabsten
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:52 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,243 Posts
Quick google search, is that a 15C battery!?!?!? 20C works okay, but 25C gets the full potential out! On 25C it goes straight up, slows down a bit, but enough power to punch out of a hover.
airpower is online now Find More Posts by airpower
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:53 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,071 Posts
Quote:
I was experimenting with different kv motors and burned up the ESC in the brick......But thanks to Nitro I was able to solder in the signal wire to the brick and got an external ESC working....Unfortunately, I chose a 6 amp external ESC that can only handle 2S...The thing is that I have a 10 amp unit on hand that can handle 4S that doesn't weigh but a few grams more than the 6 amp ESC......I did notice that the ESC on the brick was getting pretty hot...

Kevin
I'm using this one in my Sbach: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6455
Weighs 6 grams. But the Beast brick goes crazy part way through the flight... freezing and then waggling it's servos in a crazy way. It may be pulling the volts down? I'll have to play with it some more.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:55 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,025 Posts
I've come to the conclusion that the AS3X servo motors are developing burned/dead spots on the armature...My reason for thinking this is that when I replace the servo mechanics the problem goes away...The wipers on the servo are fine...The rails are a little dirty but not enough to cause problems...The only thing left is that the servo motor is developing dead spots on the armature...I rotate the main gear and the servo will go to the commanded position but then sticks and won't go back to neutral without me having to rotate the gears with a little help from my finger...The servo gears are as smooth as butter---No binding and no rough spots..

After replacing the servo mechanics I'm going to attempt to take one of these tiny servo motors apart and clean the armature and brushes...We'll see if that's the problem...

Kevin
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:03 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
No it is not common. Just do a good pre flight test of all the controls. For piece of mind know that if there is a problem HH will take care of you. Amazing customer service.

-Brian
Thanks! I'm going with the setup instructions straight from the manual, so I hope they're okay. Won't maiden today, though. Too windy.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:09 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
I've come to the conclusion that the AS3X servo motors are developing burned/dead spots on the armature...My reason for thinking this is that when I replace the servo mechanics the problem goes away...The wipers on the servo are fine...The rails are a little dirty but not enough to cause problems...The only thing left is that the servo motor is developing dead spots on the armature...I rotate the main gear and the servo will go to the commanded position but then sticks and won't go back to neutral without me having to rotate the gears with a little help from my finger...The servo gears are as smooth as butter---No binding and no rough spots..

After replacing the servo mechanics I'm going to attempt to take one of these tiny servo motors apart and clean the armature and brushes...We'll see if that's the problem...

Kevin
Great. Looks like these servos could be hard to replace (ailerons have to be broken out of foam?), too.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:12 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crvnation View Post
Thanks! I'm going with the setup instructions straight from the manual, so I hope they're okay. Won't maiden today, though. Too windy.
Smart to sit out and wait for less wind. Every time I've crashed The Beast wind has helped a bit. Still my error, but wind helps.
MIke
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike