HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:51 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crvnation View Post
Operative term being NEW. Check back in after 30-40+ charges per pack (may not even take that many cycles). Many, myself included, find NanoTechs don't hold up over the long term well at all.
I have a few NanoTechs that are a couple of years old serving heavy duty in ducted fans...Still going strong...My Hyperions aren't that old...I have over a dozen that I cycle through to try to keep them the same/fresh...They have lost some poop from when new...

I guess the only way to really judge batts is to keep detailed flight logs...Personally, I don't have the time to spend more time logging batteries than flying...But these new NanoTechs are very strong...And I can buy two of these to one Hyperion pack...Which really makes the NanoTechs at least an equal value IF they are proven to be 1/2 the value of Hyperions...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 12:40 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
You want to talk weight!!!???!!!...I made this vid using 2S 450mAh Gens Ace batts...HEAVY!!!---Plus I velcroed on a keychain camera to the bottom of the plane without removing the case...As you can see the plane performed well with all of the extra weight...The extra weight was about the same as the stock airframe!!!...I've posted this vid before but we keep getting new Beast owners joining our ranks that haven't seen it...

Kevin
Nice, Yeah this just goes to show how much weight this little plane can carry!

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Oct 06, 2012, 02:27 PM
Colorado Springs, CO.
Joined Mar 2009
327 Posts
I've been gone from this thread for quite a while. I have a NIB V1 Beast. Is it possible to convert it to V2? If so, how do you go about it? I have searched around this thread but haven't seen anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Scarface26 is offline Find More Posts by Scarface26
Old Oct 06, 2012, 02:36 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface26 View Post
I've been gone from this thread for quite a while. I have a NIB V1 Beast. Is it possible to convert it to V2? If so, how do you go about it? I have searched around this thread but haven't seen anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
To convert to V2, you need a Beast v2/CC or Geebee brick and 2 AS2030L servos. to replace your current servos.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Oct 06, 2012, 02:45 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,964 Posts
Scarface26,
If it is NIB offer it for sale at a fair price and purchase the new model. To convert you will need the new aileron servos @ $13.49 each for a total of $26.98 and the receiver at $69.99. Total cost for parts will be $96.97 + shipping. Converting the V1 is hardly worth the money.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Oct 06, 2012, 02:55 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hoorn View Post
Scarface26,
If it is NIB offer it for sale at a fair price and purchase the new model. To convert you will need the new aileron servos @ $13.49 each for a total of $26.98 and the receiver at $69.99. Total cost for parts will be $96.97 + shipping. Converting the V1 is hardly worth the money.
Gary
I definitely would not recommend converting one with new parts.

New V2 Beasts are only $120.53 Member price at Wholesale trains.

My Converted Sbach used Crashed Gee Bee guts I purchased for $65 from Hobb-e-mart.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Oct 06, 2012, 03:30 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
I definitely would not recommend converting one with new parts.

New V2 Beasts are only $120.53 Member price at Wholesale trains.

My Converted Sbach used Crashed Gee Bee guts I purchased for $65 from Hobb-e-mart.
Ditto Hobb-e-mart!!!...I have an AS3X Beast coming that is brand new but states that the rudder servo is defective...I bought the entire plane for $65...All I need to do is to put new servo mechanics on the brick for a total cost of $73 for a brand new plane...

Kevin
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:39 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
I just flew my Beast 3D in a 15-20mph wind...It was a HOOT!!!...I was easily able to hover in the wind and at times fly backwards...Landing was basically hovering the plane and adding power to advance forward...

I'm trying to get my hatcam to work...As well as dodging rain showers...Hopefully I'll be able to post a hatcam vid tonight!!!

Kevin
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:54 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
I managed to get a video done...For some reason I can never get the hatcam right with the plane centered in the frame...Anyway, it's good enough to show what the AS3X system will do in 15-20mph winds!!!

Kevin

AS3X Beast 3D in 15 20mph winds (5 min 40 sec)
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:53 PM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,930 Posts
Yes! I love flying the umx in 15+ winds. Its so fun to surf the sky!! Flying backwards or holding it in a hover 2 ft above your head is awesome
I like flying the sbach in big winds. Currently building as3x sbach so cant wait to try that
TurboRacer is online now Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:55 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,770 Posts
I have one of these on the way to me that I picked up here on the forums. After seeing one in action in the wind at a fly-in yesterday I was sold. Yes, I have the AS3X version on the way. I already had 2 Zippy and one nanotech 180mah 2s batteries with the jst connector so I just ordered an adaptor so I would not have to order new batteries. I don't want more batteries to my already confusing and huge lipo collection.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:22 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,052 Posts
A little more info on 3S power. My Beast ran 3S perfectly. The I crashed it hard enough to break off the nose. (Don't ask.) The motor turns freely and works great on 2S. But the ESC clicks off on 3S almost immediately. So then I put another 2300kv motor in it and am back to running perfectly on 3S again! I'm going to look into it further, including taking the "crash" motor apart.

So maybe you guys who are having 3S troubles should try different motors.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:25 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
A little more info on 3S power. My Beast ran 3S perfectly. The I crashed it hard enough to break off the nose. (Don't ask.) The motor turns freely and works great on 2S. But the ESC clicks off on 3S almost immediately. So then I put another 2300kv motor in it and am back to running perfectly on 3S again! I'm going to look into it further, including taking the "crash" motor apart.

E,

Very interesting!

Motors that are drawing high Amps would certainly be trouble for these boards on 3S power.

rc

ps. I thought you were done with this crashing stuff!!
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:31 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post

ps. I thought you were done with this crashing stuff!!
I was. But I forgot my cap and I was too lazy to go back and get it. I don't use dark glasses and I was blinded by the light... that was dumb. Won't do that again.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:01 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

I was experimenting with different kv motors and burned up the ESC in the brick......But thanks to Nitro I was able to solder in the signal wire to the brick and got an external ESC working....Unfortunately, I chose a 6 amp external ESC that can only handle 2S...The thing is that I have a 10 amp unit on hand that can handle 4S that doesn't weigh but a few grams more than the 6 amp ESC......I did notice that the ESC on the brick was getting pretty hot...

Kevin