SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:49 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,019 Posts
I just weighed the NanoTech 300's...They weigh EXACTLY the same as my Hyperion 240mAh packs...(.60 oz)...My Hyperion G3 packs are rated @ 25C with the new NanoTech batts being rated @ 35C...I'll try to remember to put a tach to the model and test both packs this evening...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:36 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,116 Posts
Ive heard that nano-techs often have less C than advertised, but are also larger than advertised to make the C appear higher, anyone else who's heard about that?
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:22 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
Ive heard that nano-techs often have less C than advertised, but are also larger than advertised to make the C appear higher, anyone else who's heard about that?
Yup. It's been discussed at length in a number of threads.

I stick with the known high-quality brands, such as Hyperion & Thunder Power. I see no point in buying a hot-rod & then hobbling its performance by skimping on the batteries. That would be like buying a Ferrari & then putting regular gas in it.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:01 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
They often have less C but lately usually, they deliver pretty close to what they are rated for (and have been tested by battery gurus like Everydayflyer). They always advertise their size pretty accurately too as far as I'm being concerned. Last thing you would want is buying a battery and finding out it doesn't fit in your airplane! And if you read reviews (at least with HK, you can), you'll never find a complaint about not being the right size.

Personally I love the NanoTech. Because they are cheap, I leave them charged all the time, so if a flying slot suddenly open up, I'm always ready since my batteries are always charged. Got my 180mah when they came out (over a year ago?) and they have been charged since the first day I got them. (I fly, I come home, I charge them, put them in a lipo bag, and they are ready for next flight session, be it the next day, or next week). If I do that with my expensive battery, I kill them quickly. (Hyperion doesn't like being fully charged and not used right away, at least that's what I think since I killed MANY packs).

Yes, it's not top octane, but often, I laugh when I see someone flying 2 or 3 batteries and going back home. That's 15 minutes of flight top, less than 10 if you're flying the Mig. Thanks to the cheap Nanotech, I can fly for an hour or two if I want to, without even bothering to recharge once.

Sadly though, the Nanotech were a great deal with the buddy codes (usually half of their already cheap prices). Now, buddy codes are almost useless, so unless you order from HK often, they are not such a great deal anymore.
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:47 AM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,876 Posts
I love the nanos as well! Fly them in my 300x (i have six 1.3 45-90's) and had about 15 for my MCPX. I also had hyperions & eflites. Out of all of them, ive had one nano 1s puff, and two hyp 550's puff. And i never abuse them, always timed.
So, in my experience, the nanos are the best option overall.
TurboRacer is online now Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:32 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,928 Posts
I have the Beast on order and should be here on Fri. One of the reasons I bought it was having the Eflite Mig 15 and much more than satisfied with the performance. The Beast looks like it may be along the same lines. The first thing I did with the Mig was to change over the ESC batt connector to mini deans. Been flying it with 2 cell Rhino 360s that I bought about 4 yrs ago and also are left fully charged. I'll do the same thing with the Beast when it comes in.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:25 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
Been flying it with 2 cell Rhino 360s that I bought about 4 yrs ago and also are left fully charged. I'll do the same thing with the Beast when it comes in.

Gord.
Are those great or what!!!! Fit the Mig perfectly and give really long flights (well, 5 to 6 minutes flight, but on the Mig, that's a lot!....). I also abused them as well. I often use them at more than full capacity. Those applicatons where I should really use something like 500mah 30C or 360mah at 50C, but who care, I have those 360mah that won't die on me...

Sadly, it seem the newer one are not as good anymore.... Likely different chemistry.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:48 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,928 Posts
Bummer!! I should have bought a truckload. I only have three 2 cells and two 3 cells. I use them every yr on the indoor goodies too. That's the problem with not knowing the longevity other than speculation. Are you using them on the Beast?? I also have good luck with the Zippy Flitemax.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:16 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,019 Posts
I've used NanoTech, Hyperion, TP, Zippy, Rhino and several other brands---The newer NT's, for me, have proven to be as good as Hyperion and TP batts...And I've had all of these brands puff or become defective for one reason or another...

Kevin
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:42 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
Bummer!! I should have bought a truckload. I only have three 2 cells and two 3 cells. I use them every yr on the indoor goodies too. That's the problem with not knowing the longevity other than speculation. Are you using them on the Beast?? I also have good luck with the Zippy Flitemax.

Gord.
No, I like to fly my Beast light, so I fly all my 180mah first (I have probably 15 to 20, NT and Hyp) then, if I still want to fly, I use my 240mah Hyperions light... I won't even fly it with my stock Hyperions 240!
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:04 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
No, I like to fly my Beast light, so I fly all my 180mah first (I have probably 15 to 20, NT and Hyp) then, if I still want to fly, I use my 240mah Hyperions light... I won't even fly it with my stock Hyperions 240!
I've been really impressed by this little Beast's ability to carry weight. I've been flying mine with RCBabbel's 3S 320! That's almost 30g of battery. It shrugs it off like it wasn't there. Harriers are still rock solid, landings are a little bit faster but still less than an Sbach on 2s 180s.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:40 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
I've been really impressed by this little Beast's ability to carry weight. I've been flying mine with RCBabbel's 3S 320! That's almost 30g of battery. It shrugs it off like it wasn't there. Harriers are still rock solid, landings are a little bit faster but still less than an Sbach on 2s 180s.

-Brian
You want to talk weight!!!???!!!...I made this vid using 2S 450mAh Gens Ace batts...HEAVY!!!---Plus I velcroed on a keychain camera to the bottom of the plane without removing the case...As you can see the plane performed well with all of the extra weight...The extra weight was about the same as the stock airframe!!!...I've posted this vid before but we keep getting new Beast owners joining our ranks that haven't seen it...

Kevin
Beast.wmv (4 min 27 sec)
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:57 PM
United States, NM, Santa Fe
Joined Aug 2011
411 Posts
wrong spot
flyrtim is offline Find More Posts by flyrtim
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:59 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,019 Posts
I just tested my new Turnigy NanoTech 300mAh 35-70C 2S batts...With my AS3X Beast with a 2500kv motor and a GWS 5030 prop I recorded tached #'s of 11800-11950 RPM!!!..With my Hyperion G3 240mAh 2S batts I recorded RPM figures of 11550-11650RPM...

These new NanoTechs ARE DA BOMB!!!...You can hear the difference in RPM and definately see/feel the difference in flight...So much for those that say NanoTechs aren't any good...I'm ordering MORE!!!...I would have ordered more with my first order but when using the buddy code I had HK limit me to just 3 batts...

Kevin
Last edited by Kevin Greene; Oct 05, 2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:42 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
These new NanoTechs ARE DA BOMB!!!...You can hear the difference in RPM and definately see/feel the difference in flight...So much for those that say NanoTechs aren't any good...I'm ordering MORE!!!...I would have ordered more with my first order but when using the buddy code I had HK limit me to just 3 batts...
Operative term being NEW. Check back in after 30-40+ charges per pack (may not even take that many cycles). Many, myself included, find NanoTechs don't hold up over the long term well at all.
crvnation is offline Find More Posts by crvnation
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)