HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:54 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
There's more than enough room for 4S!!!....Not that you would want to go there...

Kevin
"poof" for sure... lots of magic smoke.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:29 PM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,118 Posts
Here's the video of the last flight:

Last Flight of the UMX Beast 3D (4 min 47 sec)

Sorry Kevin, I'm keeping her!
bwoollia is offline Find More Posts by bwoollia
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:42 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoollia View Post
Ouch! Sorry for your loss. I'm guessing it went through that tree at the end?

Looks like it flew great, though. Was it all stock? Mine arrived yesterday, but I haven't opened it yet. Still debating on whether to keep it or not.
crvnation is offline Find More Posts by crvnation
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:49 AM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
"poof" for sure... lots of magic smoke.
Yep!!!...But with the tray removed there's even enough room to stack a 5S pack in there...Again, not that anyone would want to...However, this shows that there's enough room to install FPV equipment, extra battery to run a camera, etc...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:00 AM
Joined Mar 2007
3,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoollia View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLB1o4XD4Pg

Sorry Kevin, I'm keeping her!
NICE flying!!!...Amazing how those trees have airplane magnets in them!!!

Kevin
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:55 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,399 Posts
Quote:

Kevin
Well, for those who may not have seen it yet, here's my own Beast vs Tree video (last winter). I was wearing a keychain camera, and forgot to turn it off when I climbed the tree to get my Beast back from that "bad" airplane eater... Fun start at 3:00 if you don't want to watch the whole video.

UMX Beast in the snow (9 min 38 sec)

FYI: That's a V1 Beast with skis... Video is old so again, you may have seen it already.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Last edited by RealGambler; Sep 29, 2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:07 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Video?
crvnation is offline Find More Posts by crvnation
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:24 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crvnation View Post
Video?
Oooops, fixed it... Sorry!
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:41 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Well, for those who may not have seen it yet, here's my own Beast vs Tree video (last winter). I was wearing a keychain camera, and forgot to turn it off when I climbed the tree to get my Beast back from that "bad" airplane eater... Fun start at 3:00 if you don't want to watch the whole video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3utuqwJGgHE
FYI: That's a V1 Beast with skis... Video is old so again, you may have seen it already.
I have to ask about the skids. I"m going to have to modify if I'm going to fly this winter. Hard to see detail on skids in video, but they appear to work great in that firm snow. Can you post a photo for me? We're they made of foam plate or something like that?
MIke
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:43 PM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crvnation View Post
Ouch! Sorry for your loss. I'm guessing it went through that tree at the end?

Looks like it flew great, though. Was it all stock? Mine arrived yesterday, but I haven't opened it yet. Still debating on whether to keep it or not.
It was 100% stock (with a replacement brick from Horizon), using nano-tech batteries. It got stuck in the top of the tree. It was probably in very good shape at that point, but the recovery was challenging.

Quote:

Kevin
I know! What's up with that?
bwoollia is offline Find More Posts by bwoollia
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2012, 03:00 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
I have to ask about the skids. I"m going to have to modify if I'm going to fly this winter. Hard to see detail on skids in video, but they appear to work great in that firm snow. Can you post a photo for me? We're they made of foam plate or something like that?
MIke
The skis were made by ICU (a guy who used to hang here a lot, but I don't think I've seen any post of him for over 6 months! Hope he's well!)

You're right, you need a certain type of snow, but otherwise, I'm already looking forward to this winter because it was fun using them when I could. Rough ice packed snow, ice, or as you noticed simply firm snow became nice runways...

He had some designed for the Sbach and the Beast, and they fit VERY well. Little mounts are perfect, locking nuts and all. The tail ski is designed so you don't even have to remove the wheel.

Here's some pictures.

Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:56 PM
United States, OR, Sherwood
Joined Jan 2009
280 Posts
V1 Beast and 3S?

I have run about 50 batts through my V2 and it seems OK. What is the possibility of running the V1 on 3S?? Tx....JJ460
JJ460 is offline Find More Posts by JJ460
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:08 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ460 View Post
I have run about 50 batts through my V2 and it seems OK. What is the possibility of running the V1 on 3S?? Tx....JJ460
Unlike the v2, people have fried their v1's on 3S. But some work. If they work they seem to work forever. You take your chances with the v1.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:38 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
The skis were made by ICU (a guy who used to hang here a lot, but I don't think I've seen any post of him for over 6 months! Hope he's well!)

You're right, you need a certain type of snow, but otherwise, I'm already looking forward to this winter because it was fun using them when I could. Rough ice packed snow, ice, or as you noticed simply firm snow became nice runways...

He had some designed for the Sbach and the Beast, and they fit VERY well. Little mounts are perfect, locking nuts and all. The tail ski is designed so you don't even have to remove the wheel.

Here's some pictures.

Thanks for your time and the photos. Way nicer than I had thought. Looks like I'll have something to build and test this winter besides repairing my helicopters.
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:38 PM
Joined Mar 2007
3,907 Posts
This has probably been covered but since I didn't see it I'll go over it...

I was experimenting with 3S and damaged the ESC on my Beast brick...NitroCharged (Dave) gave the point out on the brick to get the throttle signal, so I installed a separate external 6 amp ESC...I got everything working so I went out for a test flight...I checked the throws and discovered that the ailerons were reversed...I must have got the aileron servo plugs reversed on the brick---No big deal, I'll just reverse the servos in the TX...Got everything working in the correct direction and the AS3X seemed to be working properly as well...I hand launched and the plane was ALL OVER THE PLACE and crashed into my pond in the back yard...After retrieving the plane from the pond I dried everything out and went to try it out again---This time taking off from the asphalt street...I advanced the throttle and it looked good so I gave some up elevator...The plane lifted off about a foot and I initiated a right turn...All of a sudden the plane snapped over on its back and nosed in on the asphalt as though the ailerons were reversed!!!...Broken prop, destroyed spinner, and a small amount of road rash but it could have been worse...I got to thinking---I reversed the ailerons but I was wondering if the AS3X system was still in the normal non-reversed mode...I looked at the ailerons with the AS3X active and it LOOKED to be functioning properly...Just to be sure I removed the canopy hatch for the umpteenth time and put the servos back into their proper recepticles on the brick---Retaped the hatch back on and went out to fly with the street light now on and almost dark...I again took off from the asphalt as the last hand launch had me lacking confidence in a hand launch...I advanced the throttle and she lifted off---AND FLEW LIKE THE AS3X SYSTEM IS SUPPOSED TO FUNCTION!!!...I was back in business!!!

The bottom line is to NOT reverse the ailerons in the TX but do it with programming in the brick if necessary...I recommend to NOT reverse anything and go with factory default settings...By not going with my gut and being too lazy to open up the fuselage cost me a pristine looking plane...The Beast isn't too banged up but as we all do, we want to keep a plane as pristine as possible for as long as possible...Oh---And I did all of this testing/flying in the rain!!!..(I've been flying models for 42 years and have this flying itch BAD!!!)

This post is just a heads up or a reminder if already posted that reversing any control surface in the TX with an AS3X brick can cause the plane to not fly...(Non-AS3X equipped bricks will do FINE if you need to do a reverse in the TX...)

Kevin