HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:47 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crvnation View Post
Hello, I just ordered a UMX Beast and was wondering how well it really flies stock out of the box. I'm pretty well versed in the Horizon/Blade "marketing" and I have all their micro helis and do quite well with the, especially the 130 X.

So... I ordered a UMX Beast as my first stabilized UM plane and was wondering what to expect since I can fly helis very well and larger airplanes. I already have a bunch of 2S batteries from the 130 X that should work just fine. Thanks.
Hmmm...My Beast flew just fine out of the box. Do read up on binding and how the AS3X works as binding is a little different.
The Beast uses UMX battery connector, I don't know if your 130X batts are the same, better check on that. I believe the stock battery is UMX type180mAH. http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-g3-cx...pi-6478_0.html
I had a problem with the battery (Hype 240) rattling around in the compartment and had to wedge it in with a bit of thin foam like a foam plate foam. The Beast will keep you on your toes. I bounce it a lot on landing, so whatever you can do to correct that.
Good luck and good flying to you. Let us know how it goes.
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:57 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
Hmmm...My Beast flew just fine out of the box. Do read up on binding and how the AS3X works as binding is a little different.
The Beast uses UMX battery connector, I don't know if your 130X batts are the same, better check on that. I believe the stock battery is UMX type180mAH. http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-g3-cx...pi-6478_0.html
I had a problem with the battery (Hype 240) rattling around in the compartment and had to wedge it in with a bit of thin foam like a foam plate foam. The Beast will keep you on your toes. I bounce it a lot on landing, so whatever you can do to correct that.
Good luck and good flying to you. Let us know how it goes.
Mike
Yes, my 130 X helicopter uses the same UMX connector. It's 2S lipo, but the batteries I have are up around 320-400mAh. I know they'll work IF the fit inside the cowling/fuse battery area. I'm just wondering if they'll fit and/or be too heavy.
crvnation is offline Find More Posts by crvnation
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:37 AM
Joined Jun 2010
2,615 Posts
My Hyp 240's are 20 x 37mm. It's the thickness that is tight. Mine are 15 mm thick with velcro. I think that about 17mm is all you'll be able to fit. Someone else has tried these bigger batteries you have and should speak up.
Good luck with you're new plane. My Beast is in the hangar while I've been flying my new Sbach. Going to get The Beast out tomorrow and compare flight.
In case you haven't seen the real Beast, may it and Bryan Jensen R.I.P. , here is a link:
http://www.beastairshows.com/web/show-video.php?id=8
Mike
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:45 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,178 Posts
Quote:
Yes, my 130 X helicopter uses the same UMX connector. It's 2S lipo, but the batteries I have are up around 320-400mAh. I know they'll work IF the fit inside the cowling/fuse battery area. I'm just wondering if they'll fit and/or be too heavy.
Even if they fit you may have trouble getting them back far enough to get the right CG.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:50 AM
Joined Jun 2010
2,615 Posts
Ya...I forgot to mention that. Plenty of room in the compartment, but to get CG I have to slide the HYP 240's back until they are all the way past the edge of the cowl.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:58 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
If you couldn't get the CG perfect, wouldn't the gyros compensate for that? Sort of like how a heli FBL controller can compensate for a slightly off CG.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:07 PM
Joined Dec 2010
7,178 Posts
Quote:
If you couldn't get the CG perfect, wouldn't the gyros compensate for that? Sort of like how a heli FBL controller can compensate for a slightly off CG.
To a point. Gyros help you control a tail-heavy plane but they don't do much to perk up a nose-heavy one. They can't do that magic.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:19 PM
Joined Jun 2010
2,615 Posts
The Beast is very particular about side to side CG also. My other planes, not so picky. Moving the battery 5mm forward or back I can tell the difference. 2mm to the side and I have to trim the ailerons. It flys fine with the battery forward, but I like to fly with the CG just right. Gosh forbid the battery loses grip and slides all the way back into the fuse! That's a very exciting flight.
Mike
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:21 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
The Beast is very particular about side to side CG also.
It that really much of an issue when the battery goes right on the longitudinal centerline of the fuselage?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:26 PM
Joined Jun 2010
2,615 Posts
The batt compartment is wide and the velcro does not hold well for me. The Hyp 240's wobble at best or don't exactly sit in the center if I"m not careful.. I have to put the batt in very carefully and hold it in place by jamming in a strip of foam dinner plate. I had problems with the batt moving about or vibrating and making the AS3X unstable. any yes..If I am off a couple of mm either way of center The Beast will dip a wing in flight.
Mike
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:13 PM
Joined Nov 2009
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
SW,

Good job getting her down well!

I knew what the problem was by the third sentence....
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=15166

rc
Thanks! It was a battle, for sure. The poor thing was flopping around like a fish out of water so I didnít really have a lot of time to think too much about why. But youíre 100 right; 20x20 hindsight says ďyeah, itís the battery, stupid!Ē

I think that Iíve flown it so much that the Velcro is probably worn out!
Sky Writer is offline Find More Posts by Sky Writer
Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:24 PM
Joined Dec 2010
7,178 Posts
I'm posting here because this is the most active thread. I may try the "mods" thread later.
I'm installing a 10A ESC that has a BEC. I'm wondering if I can power the Beast brick with this BEC through the Xport. Internal brick voltage is 4.4 and this BEC gives 5.1. The only advantage is avoiding those occasional VR shut-downs when running 3S. You know... those things where you lose it all, servos included and can only watch as your beast falls out of the sky. This has only happened to me once but it would be nice to know it won't happen again! Of course the whole brick may fry.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:29 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,011 Posts
I removed the stock battery tray and now place the battery on the floor of the fuselage...I did have to remove some material from the foam standoffs that originally held the battery tray in place but no big deal...I glued in some industrial real Velcro in place to hold the batt...With the tray removed you can easily run 3S---There's more than enough room for 4S!!!....Not that you would want to go there...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:49 PM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,315 Posts
I hit a plane-eating tree today. Like a ten foot high bush. I couldn't climb it, and it wouldn't shake down so I was forced to knock it out with a stick - OUCH!

Repairable? Probably. I am missing a pushrod, so I'll have to track that down, and it looks like it's out of stock in my neck of the woods.

bwoollia is offline Find More Posts by bwoollia
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:59 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoollia View Post
I hit a plane-eating tree today. Like a ten foot high bush. I couldn't climb it, and it wouldn't shake down so I was forced to knock it out with a stick - OUCH!

Repairable? Probably. I am missing a pushrod, so I'll have to track that down, and it looks like it's out of stock in my neck of the woods.

EASY repair!!!...I crashed my Beast when trying 3S...Power cut and I crashed it into my roof, clipping a gutter on the way down...My Beast looked about like yours...Sure---My Beast isn't as straight as it was when new but still flies GREAT!!!...Sell the remains to me if ya don't want to attempt the repair......

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene