SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:28 PM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,448 Posts
Here's a video of my "remaiden" after my replacement brick. Nothing special in terms of flying here, but it shows the model flying in windy condition. A real blast!

E-Flite UMX Beast 3D with AS3X - Review and Flight Testing (8 min 25 sec)
bwoollia is offline Find More Posts by bwoollia
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:58 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoollia View Post
Here's a video of my "remaiden" after my replacement brick. Nothing special in terms of flying here, but it shows the model flying in windy condition. A real blast!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdAPNzrOvZA
I liked the vid!!!...I flew mine in similar conditions yesterday and what a thrill it was...Amazing what we have to fly in these times...Only a few years ago if you would have said that these were in the pipeline modelers would have been VERY skeptical...Thanks for the professional type vid showing the Beasts' capabilities as well as its crash worthyness...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:36 AM
What goes up, will come down..
United States, FL, Zephyrhills
Joined Jun 2011
139 Posts
So my T-28 has finally wore itself out. How about the Beast for a replacement? Is it much of a jump up from the T-28? I have been flying about 18 months and would consider myself an intermediate pilot. I want to start some more complex moves besides the basic rolls, loops etc.
Willie T is online now Find More Posts by Willie T
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:54 AM
Canada, ON, Calabogie
Joined May 2011
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
So my T-28 has finally wore itself out. How about the Beast for a replacement? Is it much of a jump up from the T-28? I have been flying about 18 months and would consider myself an intermediate pilot. I want to start some more complex moves besides the basic rolls, loops etc.

Go for the Beast.
I still love the T28 and made it 2S brushless and stiffened the wing with carbon fibre rods. Rolls are awesome and unlimited vertical is a daily event.

I had about a year on my belt and got a Beast 3D in January.
The Beast is a great flyer and has become my favorite.
msdumo is offline Find More Posts by msdumo
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:00 AM
What goes up, will come down..
United States, FL, Zephyrhills
Joined Jun 2011
139 Posts
Thanks! Will get it ordered soon. I fly the bigger stuff on Sat. at the regular field but I like going out to a smaller field at the end of our street in the early mornings to fly the micro's.
Willie T is online now Find More Posts by Willie T
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:00 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
I'm trying to learn and develop a "bag of tricks". Aerobatic moves as the Beast seems to enjoy that kind of thing. The "knife edge" eludes me though. I would imaging I roll 90 degrees left and give it a bit of right rudder to maintain altitude. What happens is I lose altitude quickly, go into a dive and head home for more glue.
I've tried half and full throttle. Any suggestions? Perhaps when I roll I should first be in a easy climb?
And while I'm here. Has anyone been able to pull off a Lomcovak? Maybe the UMX Beast is too light to tumble like that.
Mike
Mike,

Assuming that rudder throw is sufficient, difficulty with keeping the nose up in KE usually means that the CG is considerably forward of the neutral-handling point. Be sure that the CG is @ 19mm or slightly further aft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSEN View Post
Has anyone tried flying the 3D Beast using a little Champ transmitter? DX5e?
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
I tried flying an Sbach on the "toy" transmitter. Ran out of range. I was lucky. The DX5 worked fine as far as range but was a little imprecise feeling. The best way I can explain it is that I usually feel a mechanical link from the stick to the plane. I didn't feel that with the DX5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSEN View Post
Thanks. Is your Sbach original or converted to ax3s? I wouldn't want to fly an original beast on the "toy" transmitter!
So the DX5 must be less "precise" than a DX6? I was thinking they were the same except no memory, expo.?
Quote:
My Sbach was original at that time. It was controllable. Except for the range issue it did OK. The sticks felt even more disconnected than on the DX5, though.

Maybe I was hallucinating, but the sticks felt way better on the DX6i. I gave the DX5 to my nephew so I can no longer compare.
Guys,

There is more to this picture. Resolution is one thing. However, latency is often an even bigger deal than resolution - especially when flying planes that respond quickly to pilot input & when flying CP helis. A disconnected feel is typically caused by high latency, while an imprecise feel is typically caused by low resolution. There are often huge differences in latency between various transmitter models - even within the same brand. As one would expect - latency is usually inversely proportional to transmitter price.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:06 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Guys,

There is more to this picture. Resolution is one thing. However, latency is often an even bigger deal than resolution - especially when flying planes that respond quickly to pilot input & when flying CP helis. A disconnected feel is typically caused by high latency, while an imprecise feel is typically caused by low resolution. There are often huge differences in latency between various transmitter models - even within the same brand. As one would expect - latency is usually inversely proportional to transmitter price.

Joel
Yep... makes sense. You'll notice I never said why it felt imprecise... just that it did. Latency can surely give that feeling and would definitely wreck the "mechanically connected" feeling.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:06 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,493 Posts
Quote:
Yep... makes sense. You'll notice I never said why it felt imprecise... just that it did. Latency can surely give that feeling and would definitely wreck the "mechanically connected" feeling.
I did notice that. Just thought I'd clarify things a bit for those who may not understand the relationships. I used to think that resolution was the end-all spec until I started flying CP helis & planes with short moments. That's when I started to notice the differences in latency between my various transmitters.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:38 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,025 Posts
I'm wondering if this has happened to any of you---I flew the 3D Beast first...I have the timer set to the same as my V1 Beast (7 minutes)...The battery in the 3D beast didn't last but 6 miuntes before I noticed a loss of power..I recharged the battery and then flew the V1 Beast...Flight time was @ 8 minutes before I noticed a power drop...

The logical thing is that the AS3X system definately consumes more power...Another thing...My V1 Beast is CONSIDERABLY faster than the 3D Beast...V1 has a 5043 prop and V2 has a 5030 prop but a higher kv motor...I'm going to install a 5043 prop on the V2 3D Beast to see if it picks up much speed....My V1 Beast not only has more speed but more vertical as well...I'm also going to tach the motors to see what they are turning...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:47 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
I'm wondering if this has happened to any of you---I flew the 3D Beast first...I have the timer set to the same as my V1 Beast (7 minutes)...The battery in the 3D beast didn't last but 6 miuntes before I noticed a loss of power..I recharged the battery and then flew the V1 Beast...Flight time was @ 8 minutes before I noticed a power drop...

The logical thing is that the AS3X system definately consumes more power...Another thing...My V1 Beast is CONSIDERABLY faster than the 3D Beast...V1 has a 5043 prop and V2 has a 5030 prop but a higher kv motor...I'm going to install a 5043 prop on the V2 3D Beast to see if it picks up much speed....My V1 Beast not only has more speed but more vertical as well...I'm also going to tach the motors to see what they are turning...

Kevin
All you are saying is correct. And, unfortunately, the 2500kv motor can't really handle the 5043 prop. You'd have to put in the v1's 2300kv motor to run the 5043 well, which many of us have done. It's worth it! And, yes, battery times are shorter.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:05 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
I went from T-28 to The Beast. It was a good move. The AS3X definitely helps if the day is less than calm. Only problems for me is that the T-28 I find relaxing and durable. The Beast is well....the beast. Keeps me on my toes as it is so much faster if flown that way. The Beast isn't as durable for me. I've learned a lot about foam repairs from this forum and The Beast. The best for me is being able to point The Beast straight up, punch the throttle and aileron and watch it climb to what seem like infinity.
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:47 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post

Kevin
Check out Joel's Blog. It will save you lots of time. He's tested all prop motor combinations of the V1 and V2 motors and all common props.

Bottom line, If you have a 2300kv motor put it in there with a 5043 prop.

Power combinations in order of performance:
First: 3000kv motor + 5030 prop
Extremely close second: 2300kv + 5043 prop.
Third: 2300kv with the 5030 prop
Fourty Second: Stock 2500kv motor and stock 5x2.75 prop.

As to draw yes AS3X sucks at least a minute out of the batteries while flying.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:35 PM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Check out Joel's Blog. It will save you lots of time. He's tested all prop motor combinations of the V1 and V2 motors and all common props.

Bottom line, If you have a 2300kv motor put it in there with a 5043 prop.

Power combinations in order of performance:
First: 3000kv motor + 5030 prop
Extremely close second: 2300kv + 5043 prop.
Third: 2300kv with the 5030 prop
Fourty Second: Stock 2500kv motor and stock 5x2.75 prop.

As to draw yes AS3X sucks at least a minute out of the batteries while flying.

-Brian
What place is 2500kv 5030 prop?

J
jabsten is offline Find More Posts by jabsten
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:28 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsten View Post
What place is 2500kv 5030 prop?

J
short answer: on that list it'd be fourth. Though there are other combinations I didn't list that could be better that that one.
Long answer:
With high quality packs it is enjoyable to fly. But the plane just comes alive with either of the other motors. The 2500kv+5030 with BB hyp240s gives it unlimited vertical just not fast. Either of the other motors and it accelerates up!

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Sep 12, 2012, 01:34 AM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
short answer: on that list it'd be fourth. Though there are other combinations I didn't list that could be better that that one.
Long answer:
With high quality packs it is enjoyable to fly. But the plane just comes alive with either of the other motors. The 2500kv+5030 with BB hyp240s gives it unlimited vertical just not fast. Either of the other motors and it accelerates up!

-Brian
The reason I ask is because I am scratch building an AS3X sbach and already ordered 2500kv and I have 5030 props...also I plan to fly my beast 3D 3S as well...wondering if I should switch motors and props from V1 and V2 beast. I don't know how much faster it would be. With the 180 3S packs do they fit under cowl on beast? And approximately how far back?. Same question for sbach. I am sure I will have to place it to the back. Also how are flight times with 3S on beast and sbach?

J
jabsten is offline Find More Posts by jabsten
Last edited by jabsten; Sep 12, 2012 at 01:37 AM. Reason: more info