HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2012, 09:43 AM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,674 Posts
Possibly some if your batteries are worn out?
Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:28 PM
United Kingdom, England, Ripon
Joined Dec 2011
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimadlex View Post
Simon,
I really cant believe you cant feel any difference between the e-flite and MA batteries! Its complete night and day with mine. Still flies with the e-flite but its very lethargic. Maybe your not pushin it enough yet, you like lazy cruises or full throttle aerobatics?

Lex
I never said anything about e-flite batts I was talking about Nanotech 180's and mine is definitely not lathargic its a little missile!!!
UMX Beast (6 min 51 sec)
Simon2504 is offline Find More Posts by Simon2504
Old Aug 24, 2012, 02:34 PM
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined Mar 2011
50 Posts
My mistake,
That's some nice flying!
And yeah,that lil bird is anything but lethargic!
Lex
minimadlex is offline Find More Posts by minimadlex
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:53 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2504 View Post
I run the miniaviation packs too and see zero difference in performance, I could still hover it and go vertical till I couldnt see it
I have four MA 210 beast packs as well, good batteries for those on the other side of the pond! About the same power as my BBHyp240 only downside is the 1C charge rate, I know they claim 2 but it never fills the pack on my charger...

And I watched your video... You amputated the poor birds legs!

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Aug 26, 2012, 07:42 AM
obserwator
United States, WI, Middleton
Joined Feb 2012
567 Posts
DOES ANYBODY KNOWS IF : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Inrunner-Bru...58559677793044

WOULD do as a substitution motor for Typhoon 3D? Thx!
zawaprz is offline Find More Posts by zawaprz
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:52 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zawaprz View Post
DOES ANYBODY KNOWS IF : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Inrunner-Bru...58559677793044

WOULD do as a substitution motor for Typhoon 3D? Thx!
Uh... wrong thread?
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:47 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,782 Posts

After months of inactivity on the Un-Official Micro-Flyers Video Challenge thread, I think the time has come to create a new challenge thread, including revised rules, more challenge categories, and fresh new concepts. So I have created the new Micro Flyers Great and Small Video Challenge thread to cater for all of the micro flying audience by adding 5 new challenge categories.

All of the challenge categories are as follows:
  • Helis (IN BLUE)
  • Helis 3D (IN LIGHT BLUE)
  • Quads (IN GREEN)
  • Quads 3D (IN DARK GREEN)
  • Planes (IN RED)
  • Planes 3D (IN ORANGE)
  • FPV also including the use of "key chain cams" and other micro recording devices (IN PURPLE)

Additionally I have added a Hall of Fame where you can compete to get your name on the podium in your respective flying class for the ultimate bragging rights.

valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:45 AM
Joined Oct 2010
34 Posts
going to get a Beast

After reading a bunch of posts on this thread I've decided to give the new Beast a try. I have a few questions, however. I need some batteries that will plug into the plane and also plug into my Thunder AC6 charger. I'd like to get around 6 minutes of flight time at around 2/3 throttle. I'd also like to avoid some of the gyro/servo problems that have been reported. It seems that setting the servo end points to 95% and avoiding full throttle for the first minute of flying are key. Are my assumptions correct?

I'm not a very good RC pilot, but I can fly my UM P51 Mustang in a bit of wind without crashing. However, my landings are not very pretty. Flying the Mustang in the wind is not much fun and I'm hoping that the Beast will do a better job since it's almost always windy here on the California Sacramento River Delta.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks
Kim
raggedclaws is offline Find More Posts by raggedclaws
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:27 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,964 Posts
Kim,
Based on my experience with the 3D Beast your setup ideas seem sound. I would recommend practicing and getting those landings down a bit better as the Beast is a bit fragile. It is a blast to fly but requires care. As for charging, Glenn at RC Connectors can provide you with any type of adapters you require. My favorite lipo for my Beast is the 180 Hyperion's I get from RC Babbel. Some are flying the Beast with larger, heavier lipos but to me that defeats the purpose of the plane as it makes good 3D more difficult.
Hope this helps.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is online now Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:45 AM
Joined Oct 2010
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hoorn View Post
Kim,
Based on my experience with the 3D Beast your setup ideas seem sound. I would recommend practicing and getting those landings down a bit better as the Beast is a bit fragile. It is a blast to fly but requires care. As for charging, Glenn at RC Connectors can provide you with any type of adapters you require. My favorite lipo for my Beast is the 180 Hyperion's I get from RC Babbel. Some are flying the Beast with larger, heavier lipos but to me that defeats the purpose of the plane as it makes good 3D more difficult.
Hope this helps.
Gary
Thanks for the reply, Gary. I'll continue to work on those landings. Progress is slow though when trying to set the Mustang down gracefully in a 10+ mph headwind. How do I contact Glenn at RC Connectors and RC Babbel?

Kim
raggedclaws is offline Find More Posts by raggedclaws
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:59 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedclaws View Post
... and avoiding full throttle for the first minute of flying are key. ...
No need for this unless you are running 3S. And then, only for some planes.

Glen is at rc-connectors.com
RCBABBEL is here at RCG. Shoot him a PM.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:46 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,691 Posts
Kim,

My batts are listed on my blog:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=54990

Shoot me a PM anytime...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/priva...=newpm&u=54990

or email me at:
rcbabbel@hotmail.com

2S charging harness info here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3965

rc

ps...Much more excellent B3D info in the other thread...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1525116
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCBABBEL; Aug 28, 2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 05:35 PM
Joined Mar 2006
494 Posts
When I opened up the fuse to put my lightkit in, it was a great opportunity to correct the only fault Horizon made with the Beast 3D: the fact that it is shipped without a pilot....

I had some foam pilots from HobbyKing laying around, I removed the oxigen hose, and with a Sharpy I painted his overalls orange. Glued him under the canopy, and to mask the interior of the fuselage (it clearly shows white through the canopy, and as such you can see the pilot is missing everything below the torso, I put is in a small piece of plack paper cut to match the form.

It looks the part! Unfortunately, HK does not seem to have these in their inventory anymore, so no link.
MartinT is offline Find More Posts by MartinT
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:37 PM
Canada, ON, Calabogie
Joined May 2011
261 Posts
I'm using 180 mah 2S Nano techs and I can only get around 4 minutes in my Beast 3D before the voltage drops to less then 3.8 volts per cell. Most of it at 75% throttle.

My friend flies a CC with 180 mah Eflites for 6 minutes and the battery still has around 4 volts per cell.

The Beast 3D has more drag because of the 2 wings. Could that explain the difference in battery usage between a Beast and Carbon Cub?

What do you get for flying time with 180 Mah 2S Nano techs?
msdumo is offline Find More Posts by msdumo
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:08 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdumo View Post
I'm using 180 mah 2S Nano techs and I can only get around 4 minutes in my Beast 3D before the voltage drops to less then 3.8 volts per cell. Most of it at 75% throttle.

My friend flies a CC with 180 mah Eflites for 6 minutes and the battery still has around 4 volts per cell.

The Beast 3D has more drag because of the 2 wings. Could that explain the difference in battery usage between a Beast and Carbon Cub?

What do you get for flying time with 180 Mah 2S Nano techs?
3.8Volts is basically storage voltage, so you can probably fly longer (I don't check my voltage that much anymore, mostly mAh, so that's why I'm saying "probably"). Do you know how many mAmp you're putting back in? I do a lot of hovering, and my timer is set to 5 minutes (with my very old NanoTech). On average, I consume about 120mah, so very safe for a 180mah battery.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler