HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:20 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltreato View Post
hi guys,

Anyone know if it is safe to replace the JST balancing lead on a regular lipo battery with a umx lead then charge through using the stock Beast charger, a charger that charges through the balancer, or by using a multi-port umx harness that does balancing? i would be splicing old UMX leads on to the JST leads so no crimping is required. I'd normally ask in a battery thread but this thread is full of really good advice specific to UMX 2 cell batts. If this would work it would save me from using a micro deans to umx adapter when flying and would let me charge the batteries using my umx harness from rc-connectors alongsicde stock batts

thanks in advance.
Not sure but I would bet a nickel that the stock charger is a balance charger.
I or others can supple a JST to UMX adaptor with adequate wire size for motor.
Do not use a charging adaptor for powering motor.

Tim
w4yn is offline Find More Posts by w4yn
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:09 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawr404 View Post
Hey guys,
I am thinking about getting a Beast 3D. I want a micro and love 3D, any comments or concerns?
I've read reviews on the HH site about some guys having issues with the AS3X system. Have those issues been resolved or is it nothing to worry about?
Thanks!
I just got my Beast last week. Flown 40 batteries, Hyperion 240's. No problems other than pilot error. Be sure to read up on AS3X as it is a bit different. If there is a vibration issues or excess trim used the plane will not fly well and you will be gluing up your new bird like I am. Have you flown fixed wing much? This is my 3rd and glad I waited as it's still a bit of a hand-full for me. My T-28 is so much more relaxing. The Beast keeps me on my toes.
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Aug 17, 2012, 04:16 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
I just got my Beast last week. Flown 40 batteries, Hyperion 240's. No problems other than pilot error. Be sure to read up on AS3X as it is a bit different. If there is a vibration issues or excess trim used the plane will not fly well and you will be gluing up your new bird like I am. Have you flown fixed wing much? This is my 3rd and glad I waited as it's still a bit of a hand-full for me. My T-28 is so much more relaxing. The Beast keeps me on my toes.
Mike
The nice thing about Beast is it is glued to where you point it, not affected ath much by light breeze. I am old fart and this is my first Bipe and I am loving it even with my slow reaction times. It makes me look much better than I really am.

Tim
w4yn is offline Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Aug 17, 2012, 04:42 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by w4yn View Post
The nice thing about Beast is it is glued to where you point it, not affected ath much by light breeze. I am old fart and this is my first Bipe and I am loving it even with my slow reaction times. It makes me look much better than I really am.

Tim
I really agree, it flys like an arrow, right where you aim it. I was just thinking this morning how nice it is that they painted the underside silver, otherwise I would be able to tell if it was inverted in flight or not.
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:10 PM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
514 Posts
Oh my God! I just got the SPMA3060 programmer and found the Spektrum and Horizon websites totally hopeless. The paper instructions tell me to go to the Horizon Hobby website to get the software, but it's not there (edit: at least not obviously). On the Spektrum site, I found a link to download the software for XP (my OS) however, when I click on it, it opens a poorly written PDF explaining that I must download the XP drivers first before installing Windows 7 and Vista drivers. The ridiculous part is it then has a link (albeit a broken link) to the Windows 7/Vista download, but there's no link to the XP drivers!!! On the HH website the only user review is from Kalmon, a name I recognize from this forum. He found the XP drivers but had to repartition/install his OS back on XP so he could setup his plane because there was no Windows 7 driver available. Has anyone found the Windows XP drivers for the SPMA3060? I'll post a link if I can find it. Kalmon, if you're out there (I'll probably PM you) where did you find the XP drivers? HH drives me to drink sometimes

Thanks!
eltreato
eltreato is online now Find More Posts by eltreato
Last edited by eltreato; Aug 18, 2012 at 01:14 AM.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:21 PM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
514 Posts
Well I think I just answered my own question. Further Googling revealed another rcgroups thread where my new best friend I've never met Kalmon, was good enough to post a direct link to the XP software, not sure how the heck he found it,

Anyways here it is waiting for a Google bot to come index it for eternity:

http://www.spektrumrc.com/prodinfo/f...rog-XPonly.zip

Keywords for Google searches: Windows XP SPMA3060 driver download as3x_gyodel2007.exe horizon hobby useless as usual as3x.zip

Now to see if it actually works!!!
Old Aug 18, 2012, 01:13 AM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
514 Posts
...And lastly my Pole Cat is now AS3X-equipped with Beast guts. The maiden takes place tomorrow night assuming the testing ground isn't taken by ultimate frisbee players. It was a huge pain finding drivers and getting things enabled just to reverse the pitch gyro, but it should be worth it.

One thing I accidentally discovered was that if I didnt' download the Beast profile before uploading the settings to my brick, my simpler settings would upload but without AS3X stabilization. In effect I accidentally disabled AS3X then brought it back when I redownloaded the Beast profile. I've seen mention on this thread about people wanting the option to disable it, it's just too bad it can't really be done without chopping up the Beast to get at the brick then messing around for ages putting the brick into the correct mode for uploading profiles.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 01:21 AM
Joined Feb 2006
77 Posts
I dont own a Beast yet, but want one bad. Went to the local hobby shop today to pick up a few small parts for my other planes and they had one beast on the shelf there for $150. I opened the box lid to take a peek at it. Man, its a beautiful little plane. Almost bought on impulse but the cost of batteries changed my mind. Batteries were $20 a pop and I figured I would want atleast three. Gonna stock up on some batteries online before picking one up. Man its such a good looking plane. Someday I just bought a dx6i this week so I need to kickback a couple weeks before spending more. Dont want too much wife aggro. haha
totaldoughnut is offline Find More Posts by totaldoughnut
Old Aug 18, 2012, 04:53 AM
Chicago Northwest subs
Joined Jan 2007
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by totaldoughnut View Post
I dont own a Beast yet, but want one bad. Went to the local hobby shop today to pick up a few small parts for my other planes and they had one beast on the shelf there for $150. I opened the box lid to take a peek at it. Man, its a beautiful little plane. Almost bought on impulse but the cost of batteries changed my mind. Batteries were $20 a pop and I figured I would want atleast three. Gonna stock up on some batteries online before picking one up. Man its such a good looking plane. Someday I just bought a dx6i this week so I need to kickback a couple weeks before spending more. Dont want too much wife aggro. haha
PM RCBabbel here on RC Groups. He'll hook you up with great batteries that aren't 20 bucks. I'm not sure what he charges for his Hyperion 180 or 240 packs, but they're worth it, from what I've heard. Personally, I home brew my own Hyperion packs, because I use a different connector. They work very well in the Beast.
MR2
minirips2 is offline Find More Posts by minirips2
Old Aug 18, 2012, 05:14 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,288 Posts
Quote:
Oh my God! I just got the SPMA3060 programmer and found the Spektrum and Horizon websites totally hopeless. The paper instructions tell me to go to the Horizon Hobby website to get the software, but it's not there (edit: at least not obviously). On the Spektrum site, I found a link to download the software for XP (my OS) however, when I click on it, it opens a poorly written PDF explaining that I must download the XP drivers first before installing Windows 7 and Vista drivers. The ridiculous part is it then has a link (albeit a broken link) to the Windows 7/Vista download, but there's no link to the XP drivers!!! On the HH website the only user review is from Kalmon, a name I recognize from this forum. He found the XP drivers but had to repartition/install his OS back on XP so he could setup his plane because there was no Windows 7 driver available. Has anyone found the Windows XP drivers for the SPMA3060? I'll post a link if I can find it. Kalmon, if you're out there (I'll probably PM you) where did you find the XP drivers? HH drives me to drink sometimes

Thanks!
eltreato

I read all three of the posts.

The link I had was the link they had active before they released the useless Windows 7 Drivers. You can use the new download, available from the horizonhobby site here Click on the top icon that is a pdf for the instructions. On the bottom of that pdf is a unlinked link to the new download. http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/F...g-W7-Vista.zip

I have an Sbach that is AS3X now, I originally used the Beast3S config file, but the gains are to much on the elevator and I get oscillations. Next time I have it apart I'm going to try the 3D aerobatic file and see if that tones it down.

I'm also working on reverse engineering the config files so that we can make our own setups. It is going slowly as I have a two week old baby at home.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Aug 20, 2012, 04:14 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
15,858 Posts
The original Micro UMX Beast still flies great on days when the wind is below 5 mph. I just flew a couple of packs through mine. What a sweet little plane. 2.5 ounces of pure fun.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 20, 2012, 07:09 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,399 Posts
Quote:
...And lastly my Pole Cat is now AS3X-equipped with Beast guts. The maiden takes place tomorrow night assuming the testing ground isn't taken by ultimate frisbee players. It was a huge pain finding drivers and getting things enabled just to reverse the pitch gyro, but it should be worth it.

One thing I accidentally discovered was that if I didnt' download the Beast profile before uploading the settings to my brick, my simpler settings would upload but without AS3X stabilization. In effect I accidentally disabled AS3X then brought it back when I redownloaded the Beast profile. I've seen mention on this thread about people wanting the option to disable it, it's just too bad it can't really be done without chopping up the Beast to get at the brick then messing around for ages putting the brick into the correct mode for uploading profiles.
I guess for something like the Beast, and for somebody who would want to try many profiles, the solution would be to make a very small X-port extension cable. Open Beast once, install extension and run it somewhere outside the airplane. I do agree with you though, it does look like a mess to put the brick in uploading mode. Are you sure you cannot leave it there permanently after doing it once? After all, we are not using that port normally anyway.

BTW, thanks for proving that the Beast brick is programmable. The compatibility chart said so a long time ago, but many were still not sure about it. And that means the 1S board are more than likely programmable as well, since they are on the compatibility chart! Yeah!!!!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Aug 20, 2012, 07:18 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
I guess for something like the Beast, and for somebody who would want to try many profiles, the solution would be to make a very small X-port extension cable. Open Beast once, install extension and run it somewhere outside the airplane. I do agree with you though, it does look like a mess to put the brick in uploading mode. Are you sure you cannot leave it there permanently after doing it once? After all, we are not using that port normally anyway.

BTW, thanks for proving that the Beast brick is programmable. The compatibility chart said so a long time ago, but many were still not sure about it. And that means the 1S board are more than likely programmable as well, since they are on the compatibility chart! Yeah!!!!
I didn't have a hard time enabling programming mode. It is just plugging in the battery while holding full throttle and full right rudder.
Disabling the mode is the same controls.
manual says both the xport and ch5 will be disabled in this mode, haven't tries it yet.

-Brian
Old Aug 20, 2012, 07:25 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
I didn't have a hard time enabling programming mode. It is just plugging in the battery while holding full throttle and full right rudder.
Disabling the mode is the same controls.
manual says both the xport and ch5 will be disabled in this mode, haven't tries it yet.

-Brian
So, setting it in programming mode and leaving it there should work. We basically never use Ch5 or the X-port. I just hope that by doing that, the templates are run correctly without having to set it back to Ch5. That would help if we ever want to fine tune the templates by trial and error.

Still waiting for my programmer here... Eltreato, where did you get yours? (Canada?)
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Aug 20, 2012, 07:30 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
So, setting it in programming mode and leaving it there should work. We basically never use Ch5 or the X-port. I just hope that by doing that, the templates are run correctly without having to set it back to Ch5. That would help if we ever want to fine tune the templates by trial and error.

Still waiting for my programmer here... Eltreato, where did you get yours? (Canada?)
Well the other aileron is plugged into the channel 5 port though. I haven't tested to see if the default internal "y" mode still works of it the physical plug for channel 5 is disabled.

-Brian