HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 08, 2012, 09:58 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minirips2 View Post
That's a fact. If you told me three years ago that we'd have gyro stabilization on UM's by now, I wouldn't have believed you. I also wouldn't believe how well it works in this application. I'm hoping stabilization comes to bigger planes, like park flyer size.
MR2
MR2,

It's already here - and it works on anything from slow-flyers & park-flyers to 200 MPH turbines: Eagle Tree Guardian 2D/3D

Thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1596644

It's fully programmable. It has three modes that can be selected from the tx: 2D (autolevel), 3D (like AS3X) and bypass. It also has gain-induced control surface oscillation detection & auto-gain reduction, which is extremely important on planes with wide speed envelopes. Plus - it works with any receiver, it weighs just 11 grams - and it is only $75 USD!

I'm putting one in my 48" Precision Aerobatics Extra 260 to improve wind-handling capability. With a wing-loading of just 9 oz/sq ft, the Extra isn't much fun to fly in windy and/or turbulent conditions.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2012, 04:43 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
MR2,

It's already here - and it works on anything from slow-flyers & park-flyers to 200 MPH turbines: Eagle Tree Guardian 2D/3D

It's fully programmable. It has three modes that can be selected from the tx: 2D (autolevel), 3D (like AS3X) and bypass. It also has gain-induced control surface oscillation detection & auto-gain reduction, which is extremely important on planes with wide speed envelopes. Plus - it works with any receiver, it weighs just 11 grams - and it is only $75 USD!

I'm putting one in my 48" Precision Aerobatics Extra 260 to improve wind-handling capability. With a wing-loading of just 9 oz/sq ft, the Extra isn't much fun to fly in windy and/or turbulent conditions.

Joel
Will be OT for just a sec ... Joel, post a msg on the PA Extra 260 thread when you try this out ... I would LOVE to hear from you on how it works on that plane.

Back On Topic, I still am impressed with just how many people stop and comment when I fly the B3D on the street. Put it through a couple hovers, torque rolling up lines, harriers and knife edges and then greese the little plane in right in front of you and everyone who is walking by has to stop and come over to look at it, ask questions, comment on how cool it is, etc. Tremendous plane and the AS3X sure makes it easier to fly in the wind around the block, where it is always gusting, swirling, dropping off, switching directions, etc., due to all the buildings and obsticles.

Great plane,

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Aug 08, 2012, 10:36 PM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,028 Posts
Just curious, Is anyone interested in buying a V1 Beast? It's missing 1 of the wheel pants, but otherwise, it's in great condition. I changed to Futaba.
Park_aviator is offline Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Old Aug 09, 2012, 10:57 AM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,630 Posts
Got home from work and my new Beast was waiting for me! Wasn't expecting it until next week. Hobbyzone shipped it from Ontario CA instead of the one week trip from MN. Too bad my batteries and charge lead aren't here yet. Dead calm this evening. I get to sit and look at it for a couple of days. Odd, the flight surfaces on the wings are perfect but the elevator flaps are way off, easy to adjust though. Should have good conditions for the maiden soon.
Where is that mailman?
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Aug 09, 2012, 11:15 AM
Thumbflyer
Manning, AB, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
MR2,

Joel
Thanks Joel, you owe me $75 bucks now as I just dropped the hammer on this yesterday. Going to test it out in my cz yak and if I like it get one for my 57" 3DHS extra 330sc. Seems like a complicated little rig, lots of reading to do! Back on topic, Marlin, yes it is an awesome little plane! I am more confident flying this in wind than any of my other planes!! I haven't flown it much, probably 15 times, but everytime I do I am amazed just how well it handles, especially in knife edge flight.
IEATSRT is offline Find More Posts by IEATSRT
Old Aug 09, 2012, 11:31 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_aviator View Post
Just curious, Is anyone interested in buying a V1 Beast? It's missing 1 of the wheel pants, but otherwise, it's in great condition. I changed to Futaba.
Isn't there a Spektrum module for Futaba? I mean... if you like your UMX stuff well enough to invest in that.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Aug 09, 2012, 01:34 PM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Isn't there a Spektrum module for Futaba? I mean... if you like your UMX stuff well enough to invest in that.
I like it, but I'm saving for a 30CC plane, and I'm mostly flying my bigger planes right now.
Park_aviator is offline Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Old Aug 09, 2012, 03:53 PM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,341 Posts
Flew my V2 for the first time yesterday - about half way through the maiden the rudder stopped working. It worked again when I got home...

Nice little flyer though!
bwoollia is online now Find More Posts by bwoollia
Old Aug 09, 2012, 10:36 PM
Registered Plane Abuser
Illinois
Joined Jul 2005
219 Posts
bwoollia,
Don't know if you've read through this thread or not but a bunch of us have had the same problem with rudder and or elevator. And yes, it seems to work fine most of the time especially when you're not flying it. The problem does not just go away. There is clearly a bad batch of receivers out there and or servos. HH sent me a new receiver board and the problem went away forever. You might want to tell them to give you a new receiver right away, before your plane gets turned into little foam pieces.
DonJuan is offline Find More Posts by DonJuan
Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:14 PM
United States, NC, Harrisburg
Joined Mar 1999
1,143 Posts
I ordered some of the Value Hobby 180 batteries w/UMX connectors. I also ordered some VH 240 batteries that come with a JST connector, and a balance plug. If I want to change the plug on the 240s to UMX plugs, do I just replace the balance plug with the UMX connector, and remove the JST?
Hammer is offline Find More Posts by Hammer
Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:54 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,630 Posts
My life so far as an "official UMX Beast 3-D owner"

Day one: Dead calm, Beast arrives unscathed in box, but my batteries and charge cable haven't delivered yet.
Day two: Dead calm, batteries and charge cable come and so does company, I'm stuck at home.
Day three: Company leaves, I am ready for maiden, wind is blowing 7-10. It was a short maiden.
My day will come.
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Aug 10, 2012, 06:16 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
Day one: Dead calm, Beast arrives unscathed in box, but my batteries and charge cable haven't delivered yet.
Day two: Dead calm, batteries and charge cable come and so does company, I'm stuck at home.
Day three: Company leaves, I am ready for maiden, wind is blowing 7-10. It was a short maiden.
My day will come.
Mike
7-10 is barely enough to notice on the B3D.
I agree that you'll want calmer days to learn the plane but after a few flights you wont even check the weather before flying this plane. It you can walk to the car without being blown over you can fly the B3D.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Aug 10, 2012, 07:37 PM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
bwoollia,
Don't know if you've read through this thread or not but a bunch of us have had the same problem with rudder and or elevator. And yes, it seems to work fine most of the time especially when you're not flying it.
I have looked though the thread and seen the problems, just chiming in with my experience.
bwoollia is online now Find More Posts by bwoollia
Old Aug 10, 2012, 08:04 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,055 Posts
Well, after flying my trusty Beast 3D today, it is totaled. It came through the actual flying fine, but on the way home, a guy pulled in front of the van, and my gel battery charger system slid into my flight box.... with the Beast in between. Wings and empennage are toast, and maybe a lot more. Could not bear to inspect too close yet. I used to carry it around in the original box (doing that with my mig for sure!) but somewhere along the way I lost the box....

Good thing is that I still have a V1 airframe, and the brick, motor, etc is still good on the 3D so I'll put it all aside and wait for some rainy evening to do a transplant/pieces-matching exercise to get one good one out of the two planes.

It served me long and well. Sorry to hear about so many servo issues for new owners. They've always been a bit teechy, but never to the degree being reported lately, I don't think.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Aug 11, 2012, 07:07 AM
United States, NC, Harrisburg
Joined Mar 1999
1,143 Posts
umx connector, change connector, balance plug, switch connectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
I ordered some of the Value Hobby 180 batteries w/UMX connectors. I also ordered some VH 240 batteries that come with a JST connector, and a balance plug. If I want to change the plug on the 240s to UMX plugs, do I just replace the balance plug with the UMX connector, and remove the JST?

I switched out a balance connector for a UMX plug on the 240 G Force battery from Value Hobby. If you do this, be aware that the two positive wires must be in the same order in the UMX connector as they are in the balance connector. Mark the middle wire before you pull them out of the balance connector, and make sure it gets back in the middle of the UMX connector. Both were red on my battery, not red and white like the UMX wires.

I ordered 100 connectors, so if you need some let me know.
Hammer is offline Find More Posts by Hammer