Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 03, 2012, 02:52 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2504 View Post
Im done with anything from Horizon Hobby, my second B3D, second day out with it today and 3 times the elevator servo failed resulting in epic crashes, my new beast now looks like a pile of tape and glue HAD ENOUGH!!!!!!!!
yeah it's to bad, one batch of bad bricks from some chinese shop that cant follow a QA procedure...

I honestly feel bad for the overseas people who don't have access to HH's top notch customer service. Out of nine planes I've had two relatively minor problems and both times HH has went WAY above and beyond to make things right.

As far as te B3D I'd recommend that until this brick issue is fixed, buy from a LHS and do an extensive servo test before taking it out of the shop. Don't just check for motion, VERY slowly move every surface each direction and make sure there is no hanging or binding.

The B3D is one airplane I definitely could not be without. And I strongly recommend that any intermediate+ pilot looking for a micro put this plane on the short list!
-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2012, 11:29 AM
Registered Plane Abuser
Illinois
Joined Jul 2005
213 Posts
Sorry to hear that Simon and not because I love HH or anything. I had the same problem. They sent me a new brick, I replaced it and haven't had a problem since. I love this little plane now, very confident that it will continue to operate properly. If you can find someone to bitch at I would keep bitching until they give you one with a good brick in it. We all know there's a bad batch out there.
DonJuan is offline Find More Posts by DonJuan
Old Aug 04, 2012, 11:58 AM
United Kingdom, England, Ripon
Joined Dec 2011
309 Posts
Dont get me wrong its the best flying plane ive ever had but when a servo fails after about 20 mins total flight time on a new plane and reduces a 100 plane to a crushed bit of garbage its just out of order!!!!
Simon2504 is offline Find More Posts by Simon2504
Old Aug 04, 2012, 02:02 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,452 Posts
Quote:
Dont get me wrong its the best flying plane ive ever had but when a servo fails after about 20 mins total flight time on a new plane and reduces a 100 plane to a crushed bit of garbage its just out of order!!!!
Keep in mind you were not lucky at all. I've crashed my original Beast probably way over 30 times so far, and I'm still flying it today! Sure enough, I try to fly over grass as much as possible, so unless I crash on the runway, I'm usually very safe. I do understand that sometime, it take only one crash, but trust me, most of the time, the beauty of those ultra-micro is the fact that since there's not much weight on impact, damage is normally minimal, particularly if you have enough time to cut the throttle before impact. When flying over long grass, you usually simply pick it up and fly again... So, again, lady luck wasn't on your side more than anything else (first by getting a bad brick, then, more than likely crashing on something REALLY hard)
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Aug 05, 2012, 12:07 PM
United States, NC, Harrisburg
Joined Mar 1999
1,141 Posts
I just bought a (new) used Beast. I'm assuming it is version 1, because it doesn't have AS3X on the wing. How many different versions have been made, and what are the main differences? I'm also assuming I have the 2300kv motor, and probably should get some GWS props. Any other tips are appreciated.

I have read bits and pieces on this thread, but I don't have time to read 600 pages. Moby Dick, or War and Peace would be a quicker read!
Hammer is offline Find More Posts by Hammer
Old Aug 05, 2012, 12:22 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
I just bought a (new) used Beast. I'm assuming it is version 1, because it doesn't have AS3X on the wing. How many different versions have been made, and what are the main differences? I'm also assuming I have the 2300kv motor, and probably should get some GWS props. Any other tips are appreciated.

I have read bits and pieces on this thread, but I don't have time to read 600 pages. Moby Dick, or War and Peace would be a quicker read!
Probably a v1 unless someone transferred the guts from a v2 into it. There have been just 2 versions. Yes, get 5043 props and good batteries. Don't try to fly the 5043 on E-flight batteries.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Aug 05, 2012, 12:49 PM
United States, NC, Harrisburg
Joined Mar 1999
1,141 Posts
What are the differences between V1 and V2? I have read where V2 handles wind better. Is there a difference in the airframe?

Anyone try the G-Force batteries from Valuehobby? I've had pretty good luck with them in a few other applications.

I'll order some 5043 and some 5030 props.
Hammer is offline Find More Posts by Hammer
Old Aug 05, 2012, 01:03 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,529 Posts
Quote:

+1 on the GWS 5043 prop and good batteries. I'd strongly recommend sending a PM to RCBabbel and getting a few 2S BB240s.

Like most micros pre AS3X micros anything over 10mph and you'll probably not be flying the plane. That said reading all 1000+ pages will show you there is lots of love for this airframe and it flies really well overall.
V1 and V2 there were no airframe differences, only changing the gold trim to silver.

Yes War and Peace may be shorter but nowhere near and exciting as this thread!

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Aug 05, 2012, 01:10 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,452 Posts
Quote:
What are the differences between V1 and V2? I have read where V2 handles wind better. Is there a difference in the airframe?

Anyone try the G-Force batteries from Valuehobby? I've had pretty good luck with them in a few other applications.

I'll order some 5043 and some 5030 props.
Airframe is exactly the same. V1 has gold trims, while V2 has silver trims. As other have said, V1 is not so bad in the wind, but V2, with AS3X is much better. Even if you have a V1 though, you'll enjoy it very much. If there's no wind, try a very light battery (you can go down to 120mah in a V1). Otherwise, a 180mah or 240mah is great. If you want cheap but quite decent batteries, with the right connectors on it, check the UMX 180mah batteries from Hobby King. (Good in both versions). Otherwise, Hyperion is awesome (but waaaaay more expensive) and also come with the right connectors. RCBabbel (a member here) also make very light UMX battery packs. Remember, this is not your typical connectors (unless the previous owner changed it to something else like a red JST plug), so better get the right battery with the right connector.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Aug 05, 2012, 10:38 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
yeah it's to bad, one batch of bad bricks from some chinese shop that cant follow a QA procedure...

I honestly feel bad for the overseas people who don't have access to HH's top notch customer service. Out of nine planes I've had two relatively minor problems and both times HH has went WAY above and beyond to make things right.

As far as te B3D I'd recommend that until this brick issue is fixed, buy from a LHS and do an extensive servo test before taking it out of the shop. Don't just check for motion, VERY slowly move every surface each direction and make sure there is no hanging or binding.

The B3D is one airplane I definitely could not be without. And I strongly recommend that any intermediate+ pilot looking for a micro put this plane on the short list!
-Brian

The Carbon Cub and the last batch of B3Ds have been a real big bad black eye for Horizon.

Looks like they have been working hard to get this mess fixed.

I've been blown away with how far UMs have come in three short years since the Sukhoi hit the market.

I thought my V1 Beast was addictive...
Doesn't hold a candle compared to my B3D on 3S power!
She is a dream machine for me!!
I never go flying without her.

rc

Go Go Go Curiosity!!!
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCBABBEL; Aug 10, 2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 11:28 AM
Denver
Joined Mar 2004
421 Posts
Found a 3DS online last wk after it arrived I ran through 2 batteries to make sure the servos worked, all seemed fine. Took it out yesterday and had the motor cut off.
Replaced the battery was getting some weird wing wobbling motor cut off elevator servo quit, nosed into the ground and tore the bottom wing. Must have been one with the bad brick.
Called HH yesterday and told me to send the whole plane in.
Hope I get a new one with the new brick.
Good customer service from HH.
Bad quality control.
vrex is offline Find More Posts by vrex
Old Aug 06, 2012, 02:39 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,602 Posts
Man am I getting nervous. My Beast is to be shipped tomorrow. Hope I get a good one. I'm flying over grass for sure.
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Aug 07, 2012, 04:54 AM
Chicago Northwest subs
Joined Jan 2007
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
The Carbon Cub and the last batch of B3Ds have been a real big bad black eye for Horizon.

Looks like they have been working hard to get this mess fixed.

I've been blown away with how far UMs have come in three short years since the Sukhoi hit the market.

I thought my V1 Beast was addictive...
Doesn't hold a candle compared to my B3D on 3S power!
She is a dream machine for me!!
I never go flying without her.

rc

Go Go Go Curiosity!!!
That's a fact. If you told me three years ago that we'd have gyro stabilization on UM's by now, I wouldn't have believed you. I also wouldn't believe how well it works in this application. I'm hoping stabilization comes to bigger planes, like park flyer size.
MR2
minirips2 is offline Find More Posts by minirips2
Old Aug 07, 2012, 06:16 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
It already is coming, not from Horizon yet but Hobbyking has a gyro unit for sale now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minirips2 View Post
That's a fact. If you told me three years ago that we'd have gyro stabilization on UM's by now, I wouldn't have believed you. I also wouldn't believe how well it works in this application. I'm hoping stabilization comes to bigger planes, like park flyer size.
MR2
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Aug 08, 2012, 09:14 AM
Heli & Warbird Fan
Bavaria, Germany
Joined Jun 2009
391 Posts
Quote:
Im done with anything from Horizon Hobby, my second B3D, second day out with it today and 3 times the elevator servo failed resulting in epic crashes, my new beast now looks like a pile of tape and glue HAD ENOUGH!!!!!!!!
I feel with you!
Got a new Gee Bee R2 with the new brick (DSMX). Elevator servo jammed on 12th flight. Got a replacement R2 from HH service. The same servo jammed on flight #4!
On a static test on the ground, I found out, that the servo reached ~ 70 C !!!
The brick gets too hot in this little aircrafts!

I wonder how Gee Bee #3 works! By now I know, I can only fly one battery and not two or more in a row. And I have to find a better cooling solution.
-=RAGE=- is online now Find More Posts by -=RAGE=-