SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 01, 2012, 01:04 AM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,691 Posts
Tom,

I like to attach the spinner with rubber cement.
Holds strong but easily removable.

rc

ps... Shhhhh...Word on the street is Joel just runs naked!

pss... I balance the prop and spinner while they are on the plane with a small piece of tape on the back of the light blade.
Balance everything well on 3S power or you will get some crazy AS3X feedback.
AKA: High RPM shakes!
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2012, 06:37 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Mike,

If you're referring to the Beast 3D - the 5043 prop is a bit too much for the ESC when running 3s on the stock 2500Kv motor. The 5030 prop is usually a better choice for that setup. To run 3s with the 5043, you'd need the 2300Kv motor from the V1 Beast. Incidentally - the 2300Kv/5043 is a much better setup on 2s, as well. More thrust, mores speed, and longer flight-times.

Learning the plane before modifying it is a good idea. That way, you'll establish a baseline from which to gauge the effectiveness of future modifications. That said - just switching to the 5030 prop will provide a noticeable increase in vertical performance over the stock prop. (Incidentally - the 5043 is usually not the best match for the 2500Kv motor.)

Joel
Thanks guys for the tips. I'm really having a hard time with the numbers and letters. I don't know where I came up with the 5043. I'm going to write down 5030. On another thread I was telling a guy that Parkzone recommends Devcon FPV Silicone glue. FPV? Where'd I get that? I don't even know what the correct letters for the type of silicone are anymore. I need to take notes!
BTW...I'm ordering a GWS 5030 "standard pitch" prop right? All e RC has reverse pitch also which i'm guessing would make for a very interesting first flight if installed.
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Aug 01, 2012, 06:56 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
BTW...I'm ordering a GWS 5030 "standard pitch" prop right? All e RC has reverse pitch also which i'm guessing would make for a very interesting first flight if installed.
Mike
Mike,

Yes - you definitely want the standard pitch version.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:32 AM
Joined Jun 2010
2,780 Posts
Hyperion or ???

Getting ready for my Beast 3-d order. I was going to go with Hyperion 240, but I've never really been 100% happy with Hyperion.
I started out with helis. The Hyperion 240 1S was a must to fly the Genius CP with the slightly more powerful mCPX motor mod. There was a noticeable power increase with the Hyperion over the stock Walkera batts. Only problem is I puffed one of my Hyperions. Never had that problem with a Walkera battery. Never puffed a stock battery at all. This morning I had to ditch my T-28 in the grass due to my Hyp 180 giving out before the timer dinged. My Eflights 180 have never let me down and I get better power with them.
Has anyone been happy with the Eflight 200 2S batts? I know the BabbelBatts and Hyperion are favored, but I've heard that Eflight might have better batteries by now. What do you guys think?
Mike
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:28 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Getting ready for my Beast 3-d order. I was going to go with Hyperion 240, but I've never really been 100% happy with Hyperion.
I started out with helis. The Hyperion 240 1S was a must to fly the Genius CP with the slightly more powerful mCPX motor mod. There was a noticeable power increase with the Hyperion over the stock Walkera batts. Only problem is I puffed one of my Hyperions. Never had that problem with a Walkera battery. Never puffed a stock battery at all. This morning I had to ditch my T-28 in the grass due to my Hyp 180 giving out before the timer dinged. My Eflights 180 have never let me down and I get better power with them.
Has anyone been happy with the Eflight 200 2S batts? I know the BabbelBatts and Hyperion are favored, but I've heard that Eflight might have better batteries by now. What do you guys think?
Mike
My personal experience with Hyperion is that they truly are the greatest batteries. But on the downside, do not abuse them in any way. Hit LVC once or twice, and they won't like it. They are great in cold weather, but since you may hit LVC earlier, make sure you adjust your timer for it. If you leave them charged for a long time, instead of having them in storage voltage, they won't like it either. I had no luck with MiniAviation either (probably same story). Funilly, sometime cheaper, but waaay less powerful batteries can survive this type of abuse better. Probably simply because they pack less punch, and they have a higher internal resistance...
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Aug 02, 2012, 01:18 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,493 Posts
Mike,

I agree with RG. I've been flying with Hyp cells & packs for about 4 years now. I have a few larger Hyp packs with well over 300 cycles on them at 5c charge. They still perform well, and are not the least bit puffy. I also have plenty of the little Hyp 180 & 240 mAh cells & packs. Some are nearing the 300 cycle mark them - again, all @ 5c charge - yet none are puffy. In 4 years, I've only had 3 Hyp cells puff. All three cases were due to extreme over-discharge.

BTW - flying to LVC with any of the HH UMs will kill your LiPos, as doing so typically results in a 90-95% discharge. Same is true for many stand-alone ESCs when the default LVC setting is used. Remember - discharging any LiPo beyond 80% (as calculated by dividing the mAh required to recharge by the rated capacity) causes cell damage, and discharging beyond 90% even once or twice can kill a LiPo

Joel
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:16 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Aug 2011
831 Posts
Tom,

I like to attach the spinner with rubber cement.
Holds strong but easily removable.

rc

RC,
Thanks! I use rubber cement for several apps. Thinking about using it to secure the wheelpants to keep 'em from spinning around. Would still be easy to get 'em off if I had to.

ps... Shhhhh...Word on the street is Joel just runs naked!

Please...no "film at 11" or video link! More info than we need!

But thanks to you and Joel for the word on the prop. Going by LHS tomorrow and will see if they have one.

Tom
shepflyr is offline Find More Posts by shepflyr
Old Aug 03, 2012, 09:40 AM
Joined May 2005
1,113 Posts
Will the MCPX charger work on the UMX battery?
GetterDragun is offline Find More Posts by GetterDragun
Old Aug 03, 2012, 09:59 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetterDragun View Post
Will the MCPX charger work on the UMX battery?
Nope... That charger is for 1S batteries (single cell), and the Beast use a 2S battery (2 cells)
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Aug 03, 2012, 11:15 AM
Joined Jun 2010
2,780 Posts
Turboparker and RG.
Thanks for the advice on the batts. While I'm very careful to set a timer with reasonable extra time, I will admit to leaving the batteries charged fully all the time and being very demanding of the Hyperions in my heli. If they are a bit more sensitive to mis-use then I am at fault. I also don't keep track of how many mAH I put back, though it is there on my charger screen. The theory of the cheap batteries being more forgiving is a real possibility. I think what I'm going to do is order some Hyperions and one Eflite 2S 200 and see how they do.
Mike
Old Aug 03, 2012, 11:32 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Quote:
Turboparker and RG.
Thanks for the advice on the batts. While I'm very careful to set a timer with reasonable extra time, I will admit to leaving the batteries charged fully all the time and being very demanding of the Hyperions in my heli. If they are a bit more sensitive to mis-use then I am at fault. I also don't keep track of how many mAH I put back, though it is there on my charger screen. The theory of the cheap batteries being more forgiving is a real possibility. I think what I'm going to do is order some Hyperions and one Eflite 2S 200 and see how they do.
Mike
I also leave my packs fully charged through the flying season, however I think that 10 days is the most I've ever went without flying them all to cycle them. Darn, have to fly the plane to keep the batteries healthy
In the winter I charge the packs to 50% storage charge. I try once a month to charge and fly one flight on them and then recharge to 50%. If I cant do that I just plug them in and charge them back to 50%.

I've had no noticable loss in any of my packs doing this.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Aug 03, 2012, 11:48 AM
Joined May 2005
1,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Nope... That charger is for 1S batteries (single cell), and the Beast use a 2S battery (2 cells)
Can I use a connector to work with a standard charger?
GetterDragun is offline Find More Posts by GetterDragun
Old Aug 03, 2012, 11:55 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetterDragun View Post
Can I use a connector to work with a standard charger?
Yes. That's what most of us do. Glenn at RC-Connectors.com makes charge harnesses to fit pretty much any aftermarket charger out there: http://www.rc-connectors.com/index.p...ducfk763ie7rs6

Joel
Old Aug 03, 2012, 01:30 PM
United Kingdom, England, Ripon
Joined Dec 2011
309 Posts
Im done with anything from Horizon Hobby, my second B3D, second day out with it today and 3 times the elevator servo failed resulting in epic crashes, my new beast now looks like a pile of tape and glue HAD ENOUGH!!!!!!!!
Simon2504 is offline Find More Posts by Simon2504
Old Aug 03, 2012, 01:39 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2504 View Post
Im done with anything from Horizon Hobby, my second B3D, second day out with it today and 3 times the elevator servo failed resulting in epic crashes, my new beast now looks like a pile of tape and glue HAD ENOUGH!!!!!!!!
That's really too bad they couldn't get it together for you. It's such a great little plane when it works, especially in 3S!
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq