Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:00 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
I'm thinking about getting a Beast. My Um T-28 is a lot more fun to fly with high performance batteries. What about a great 2S battery for the Beast? I'm not interested in longer flight times, I want performance.
For my Um T-28 I use Hyperion 160 25c and Eflight 150 25c. I have to say that the Eflight batteries are way better for WOT and climb.
What would you guys recommend? Thanks.
MIke
Steer clear of E-flight batteries for anything. I use Hyperion. Others use Minivation. The best is probably custom made BabbelBatts made by forum member RCBABBEL as they are high performance and light.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:07 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,588 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation. I've heard talk that Eflight batteries are way better than they used to be and I sure notice the power difference between them and the Hyperion's. I've heard a lot about BabbleBatts. I get them by sending a PM to RCBABBEL? I'll check Minivation, heard good things about them also.
Mike
shastamike is online now Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:10 PM
Joined Dec 2010
6,861 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation. I've heard talk that Eflight batteries are way better than they used to be and I sure notice the power difference between them and the Hyperion's. I've heard a lot about BabbleBatts. I get them by sending a PM to RCBABBEL? I'll check Minivation, heard good things about them also.
Mike
E-flight batts are better than they used to be. The 200mAh ones for the Stryker were the beginning of better performing batts from them. But you can still get better for less or the same money. So why not?

Yes, PM RCBABBEL. Great guy to deal with.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 05:01 PM
Joined Jun 2010
2,588 Posts
I'm a bit confused about the battery connection with the Beast. Looks like the battery would plug into a 2S balance adapter on my charger, yet there seems to be a lot of talk about having to buy adapters to charge the battery in past posts. Hard to see in the photos, but isn't that just a 2S balance lead on the battery? Or is it special?
Mike
Old Jul 30, 2012, 05:09 PM
Joined Dec 2010
6,861 Posts
Quote:
I'm a bit confused about the battery connection with the Beast. Looks like the battery would plug into a 2S balance adapter on my charger, yet there seems to be a lot of talk about having to buy adapters to charge the battery in past posts. Hard to see in the photos, but isn't that just a 2S balance lead on the battery? Or is it special?
Mike
It's spe-shall. It's a UMX connector and you do need an adapter.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 06:01 PM
Joined Jun 2010
2,588 Posts
So this charging adapter looks good to me. http://www.progressiverc.com/paralle...beast-umx.html
Would I still be balance charging each battery even though I am parallel charging up to 6 2S batteries?
Thanks
Mike
Old Jul 30, 2012, 06:10 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,450 Posts
Quote:
So this charging adapter looks good to me. http://www.progressiverc.com/paralle...beast-umx.html
Would I still be balance charging each battery even though I am parallel charging up to 6 2S batteries?
Thanks
Mike
Yes.... Simply setup your charger for 2S (and whatever current you need if you charge more than one battery at once)
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:22 AM
build, fly, crash, repeat ...
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
I fixed it ....

“She can't take much more o' this, Captain! There's jest too much damage!”

“Dammit, Scotty, she has to, the new air frame ain't ready yet”
Stuart Linfoot is offline Find More Posts by Stuart Linfoot
Old Jul 31, 2012, 06:54 AM
Joined Jun 2011
122 Posts
Hi guys, first time I'm on this thread.

I have a UMX Beast (old version) since last year and I really love it.

Recently I decided to repaint it as I had a lot of paint laying around.
First a white coat and after that totally aluminium and gold control surfaces.

Still thinking of decals or other details but here are some pics
All ideas are welcome!
TheThomass is offline Find More Posts by TheThomass
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:28 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Steer clear of E-flight batteries for anything. I use Hyperion. Others use Minivation. The best is probably custom made BabbelBatts made by forum member RCBABBEL as they are high performance and light.
+1000!!

And nothing beats low weight & high performance wrapped-up into the same package!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:35 AM
Joined Jun 2010
2,588 Posts
So...maybe it's a good idea to start with stock set up and 2S batts. Learn the plane. I'm so tempted to set up 3S and the GWS 5043 prop.
Mike
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:47 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,420 Posts
Quote:
So...maybe it's a good idea to start with stock set up and 2S batts. Learn the plane. I'm so tempted to set up 3S and the GWS 5043 prop.
Mike
Mike,

If you're referring to the Beast 3D - the 5043 prop is a bit too much for the ESC when running 3s on the stock 2500Kv motor. The 5030 prop is usually a better choice for that setup. To run 3s with the 5043, you'd need the 2300Kv motor from the V1 Beast. Incidentally - the 2300Kv/5043 is a much better setup on 2s, as well. More thrust, mores speed, and longer flight-times.

Learning the plane before modifying it is a good idea. That way, you'll establish a baseline from which to gauge the effectiveness of future modifications. That said - just switching to the 5030 prop will provide a noticeable increase in vertical performance over the stock prop. (Incidentally - the 5043 is usually not the best match for the 2500Kv motor.)

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:16 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,533 Posts
Quote:
Mike

Mike,

Joel's motor/prop advice is spot on.

I would get comfortable on 2S before going to 3S power.
But, I would get to 3S power asap.
Pure heaven!!

My B3D is totally stock except for the GWS 5030 prop and 3S batts.
My Hyp 3S 180s are almost the same weight as stock Hyp 2S 240s.
I have 3 to1 type power to weight, yet she can land at walking speed.
I don't leave home without her.
My large planes are getting dusty!

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:24 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Aug 2011
682 Posts
RC or Joel,

Forgive a probably stupid question, but is an adapter needed to fit the GWS 5030 prop on the stock B3D motor shaft? Seen 'em listed with the props and wondering if one's needed.

Tom
shepflyr is offline Find More Posts by shepflyr
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:27 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepflyr View Post
RC or Joel,

Forgive a probably stupid question, but is an adapter needed to fit the GWS 5030 prop on the stock B3D motor shaft? Seen 'em listed with the props and wondering if one's needed.

Tom
Tom,

No adapter needed. The spinner even fits.

Joel
RCG Plus Member