SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:49 PM
United States, OR, Sherwood
Joined Jan 2009
288 Posts
lost gyro on channel 6

I did the reprogram of Chan 2/6 to get the flaperons option. All other functions are normal except I don't get gyro on the right ailr. I mixed the ailr to flap channels. I have gyro on the left ailr and both ailr move correctly when the stick is moved. Ideas?
JJ460 is offline Find More Posts by JJ460
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:15 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ460 View Post
I did the reprogram of Chan 2/6 to get the flaperons option. All other functions are normal except I don't get gyro on the right ailr. I mixed the ailr to flap channels. I have gyro on the left ailr and both ailr move correctly when the stick is moved. Ideas?
AS3X doesn't support dual-channel ailerons. To get AS3X to work properly, you'll have to switch back to single-channel. That's why we tell people not to set up flaperons on AS3X planes.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:41 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
AS3X doesn't support dual-channel ailerons. To get AS3X to work properly, you'll have to switch back to single-channel. That's why we tell people not to set up flaperons on AS3X planes.

Joel
+1 switch back to single channel ailerons.

the B3D can be flown at a walking pace without flaperons. The only thing you'd gain is the ability to do spoileron loops by mixing elev->flap. These are a novelty anyways.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:51 AM
Joined Jan 2009
288 Posts
lost gyro on channel 6

Thank you for the feedback. Actually I am using this brick in a scratch built 3D mono plane. I wanted to fix an aileron trim misalignment with out cutting the rods loose and resetting. Also I wanted to play with some negative flap settings.
Anyway I was mostly just being lazy. I 'll do it the old fashoned way. Tx JJ
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:10 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,828 Posts
Quote:
Thank you for the feedback. Actually I am using this brick in a scratch built 3D mono plane. I wanted to fix an aileron trim misalignment with out cutting the rods loose and resetting. Also I wanted to play with some negative flap settings.
Anyway I was mostly just being lazy. I 'll do it the old fashoned way. Tx JJ
JJ,

You're welcome! Yeah, quite a few of us would like the option - especially for scratch-building & modding. Hopefully, HH will decide to accommodate dual-channel ailerons in a future version of the AS3X brick.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2012, 03:53 PM
Chicago, USA and Manila, Philippines
Joined May 2007
153 Posts
Nitro and others.. did you guys ever made a tally of what kind of brick that is failing this past few months? The brick that failed on mine is a "dsmx" recvr/esc and the rreplacement I had from HH is the old "dsm2" rcvr/esc. They do have diffrent part no..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Jim350s' Beast 3D number 4 elevator continued to lock up this morning. It suffered a fair bit of damage from the crashes but can be polished up. I'll be ripping it apart to see what the cause is this evening in hopes to fix it before it takes flight again..
yurstruly is offline Find More Posts by yurstruly
Old Jul 27, 2012, 04:05 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yurstruly View Post
Nitro and others.. did you guys ever made a tally of what kind of brick that is failing this past few months? The brick that failed on mine is a "dsmx" recvr/esc and the rreplacement I had from HH is the old "dsm2" rcvr/esc. They do have diffrent part no..
Please give us the part numbers! You may have got an old Beast receiver (not AS3X).
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jul 27, 2012, 04:35 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,576 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Please give us the part numbers! You may have got an old Beast receiver (not AS3X).
I agree there is only one part number for the B3D AS3X brick, if you got the old DSM2 6400LBL brick it is the non AS3X one.

-Brian
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:05 PM
Joined Jan 2009
288 Posts
3 Blade prop test

I flew my Beast 3D today with a cut down GWS 3 blade (4"*3*3bl). As expected it was slower than the 5"*3*2Bl but with the Hyp 3S 180mah batt she still climbs out nicely. One benefit is that when I cut the throttle she actually glides much flatter than with the larger 2Bl. There seemed like less torgue roll on high alpha stalls and hovers too. Under WOT the prop makes a cool sound, like a twin. No LVC issues.

I didn't even take my large planes out of the truck...
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:41 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,828 Posts
Quote:
I flew my Beast 3D today with a cut down GWS 3 blade (4"*3*3bl). As expected it was slower than the 5"*3*2Bl but with the Hyp 3S 180mah batt she still climbs out nicely. One benefit is that when I cut the throttle she actually glides much flatter than with the larger 2Bl. There seemed like less torgue roll on high alpha stalls and hovers too. Under WOT the prop makes a cool sound, like a twin. No LVC issues.

Cool! Hmm.....I wonder how it would work on 3s......

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:54 PM
build, fly, crash, repeat ...
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
Quote:

I'm flying the same prop on mine cut down to a 4x3 and it flys great, with lots of ground clearance.
Stuart Linfoot is offline Find More Posts by Stuart Linfoot
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:58 PM
Chicago, USA and Manila, Philippines
Joined May 2007
153 Posts
Sorry for confusion, what I meant is I received a DSM2 recvr/esc AS3X which was posted on HH site
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ology-EFLU4850

Actually there's two part no., the new one is a "DSMX" recvr/esc that came on my B3d that I purchased on June but it has defective brick rudder motor. The warranty they replaced which was on backorder and took them 2weeks to have it on stock was the item mentioned above.

Back to my original inquiry, it looks like the bad batch is those DSMX bricks that was manufactured lately..

=========================
Quote:
Originally Posted by yurstruly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler

I agree there is only one part number for the B3D AS3X brick, if you got the old DSM2 6400LBL brick it is the non AS3X one.

-Brian

=========================
yurstruly is offline Find More Posts by yurstruly
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:12 AM
Registered Plane Abuser
Illinois
Joined Jul 2005
219 Posts
yurstruly,
I had servo problems as well, both the elevator and rudder on my B3D. HH sent me a new brick and the problems went away. I still have the old brick and can give you the part numbers off of it. These numbers are on the board right next to the antenna,24R6CLEG-B V05, 2011-7-06. Also on the back side there is a sticker with TH202F printed on it stuck to an IC. I remember that the sticker number was different from my old brick to the new brick but I didn't write any of the numbers down and I'm not going to take it apart again now that it's working great. I think there's still a mystery as far as what was actually wrong with these. I can speculate what the problems actually were but I'd just be guessing. Maybe some bad servos, maybe a software tweak, maybe both? HH fixed it so I'm happy with that.
DonJuan is offline Find More Posts by DonJuan
Old Jul 28, 2012, 03:10 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,576 Posts
Quote:
Sorry for confusion, what I meant is I received a DSM2 recvr/esc AS3X which was posted on HH site
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ology-EFLU4850

Actually there's two part no., the new one is a "DSMX" recvr/esc that came on my B3d that I purchased on June but it has defective brick rudder motor. The warranty they replaced which was on backorder and took them 2weeks to have it on stock was the item mentioned above.

Back to my original inquiry, it looks like the bad batch is those DSMX bricks that was manufactured lately..
I purchased my B3D in the first shipment I got the EFLU4864 receiver. As far as I know this is the only AS3X receiver ever used in the Beast3D.

Can you tell me what part number is the DSMx one? The only AS3X receivers are:
AS6410NBL - Brushless ESC, No servos, used on the Mig
EFLU4864 - Brushless ESC, 2 long throw servos, used in B3D, CC, GeeBee
EFLU1264 - No ESC, 1cell - used in the ASK-21 sailplane
PKZU2164 - Brushed 1cell ESC - used in the upcoming spitfire.

Those are the only AS3X Receivers. Which one did you have before?

Yes on here a HH employee said there was a higher than normal failure rate in one batch but that appears to be behind us now.

-Brian
Old Jul 28, 2012, 04:56 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,828 Posts
FYI -

According to the website and what the engineering guys told us back when, the EFLU1264 does have an ESC. Supposedly, it is essentially the same as the Spit's brick, but with the gyro oriented for horizontal mounting & AS3X programming suitable for a sailplane.

Regarding the B3D & CC, I've seen other reports claiming that the new bricks are DSMX. To make things more confusing - the CC page claims that it has a DSMX brick, but the parts listing shows the DSM2 EFLU4864. The B3D page says that it has a DSM2 brick, and also lists the EFLU4864 as a replacement.

Joel
RCG Plus Member