HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:38 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
As long as the servos go the right way (elevator and rudder if inverted) I would think it would work fine.
Ignore me. I didn't read your post right.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:18 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Servo Reversing

I copied this from the AR6400LBL Manual as that is the closest thing to the Beast Brick.
Page 10,

Reversing Servos
Servo reversing is done through your transmitter’s servo reversing function.
You may also reverse the actual servos by following the instructions below.
Reversing The Servos on the Receiver Board
This feature reverses the servos at the board level, making it useful for implementing
features, such as elevons, while using transmitters with limited programming
options.
NOTICE: For all advanced programming changes, you must hold the control
sticks in the correct position with the transmitter on and the receiver off.
1. Ensure a successful bind was completed.
2. Turn the transmitter on.
3. Move the THRO stick to full throttle position.
4. Move the control sticks to the corresponding position for the servo to be
reversed.
5. While holding this position, connect the battery to the receiver; power on the
receiver.
6. The LED on the receiver will turn solid and within 5 seconds, the LED will flash
3 times quickly, indicating servo is now reversed.
7. Disconnect the battery from the receiver.
8. Turn the transmitter off.

CH2
1. Full THRO
2. Down ELEV
3. Left AILE
CH3
1. Full THRO
2. Down ELEV
3. Right AILE
CH4
1. Full THRO
2. Up ELEV
3. Right AILE

*When they say down they mean press forward on the stick.

There are pictures in the manual. I'd read that to be sure!

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jul 18, 2012, 01:46 PM
Joined Jan 2012
148 Posts
Grrrrreat thread!
Without skimming through 1000+ pages, is there a link to B3D manuevers?
geewow is offline Find More Posts by geewow
Old Jul 18, 2012, 02:01 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geewow View Post
Grrrrreat thread!
Well, sorta, kinda..........

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2562

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by pugsam; Jul 18, 2012 at 04:16 PM. Reason: I know that's a V1
Old Jul 18, 2012, 03:43 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geewow View Post
Grrrrreat thread!
Do you mean a list of what it can do? Or how to do them?

ESC FETs and VR heatsink mod report.

Not to long ago Erkq posted in the sbach thread about adding heatsinks to the FETs and VR on the sbach to make it not cutout on 3S. I figured since my B3D was cutting out on 3S I'd give it a try.

First off this is a VERY INTENSIVE mod with the B3D only because the stupid brick sits so far forward under the wings. It took me about 30 min to do this to my mig and 2+ hours to do the Beast

After everything was put back together I took the B3D out for a test flight. First on 2S to verify everything was working and that the heatsinks would stay attached. So after a short 3 min of pure tumbling snaprolling, full deflection abuse I landed. Everything was still in place so in went the 3S pack. Flew a couple circuits just to make sure everything was still working then after 30sec I pointed the little Beast up and firewalled it. 3 seconds of vertical rolling WOT climbing and not even a hiccup. This is with a 3000kv and a 5030 prop that pulls more than stock too! Bottom line this fixed my cutout problem. Outside temp is 87*F and humid.

-Brian
Old Jul 18, 2012, 03:55 PM
Joined Dec 2010
8,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
After everything was put back together I took the B3D out for a test flight. First on 2S to verify everything was working and that the heatsinks would stay attached. So after a short 3 min of pure tumbling snaprolling, full deflection abuse I landed. Everything was still in place so in went the 3S pack. Flew a couple circuits just to make sure everything was still working then after 30sec I pointed the little Beast up and firewalled it. 3 seconds of vertical rolling WOT climbing and not even a hiccup. This is with a 3000kv and a 5030 prop that pulls more than stock too! Bottom line this fixed my cutout problem. Outside temp is 87*F and humid.

-Brian
Super!!! I've been flying the snot out of my 3S Sbach. I'm going to mod my Beast 3D next. Yeah... Beast brick removal is a PITA, isn't it? There are some things that make it easier I should have mentioned like detaching the pushrods from the tail surfaces first.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 04:32 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Quote:
Super!!! I've been flying the snot out of my 3S Sbach. I'm going to mod my Beast 3D next. Yeah... Beast brick removal is a PITA, isn't it? There are some things that make it easier I should have mentioned like detaching the pushrods from the tail surfaces first.
I did that. Honestly the hardest part is getting the battery power lead out of the tray. whoever assembled it originally put a bunch of that white silicone glue on it and you cant get at that spot from either side to cut it out! I actually pulled the entire battery tray out.

The other challenge is getting the brick reinstalled. That heatsink on the bottom is almost resting against the side of the shelf under the brick. That and that super sticky rubber tape they use under the brick. If it touches the heatsink it will rip the heatsink off the copper VR plate. Then you have to start all over again.

-Brian
Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:23 PM
Luvin' Life
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Man you guys have some great thoughts!
I am heading down to flip the brick. hopefully I can get it done quickly and post the results.
1Radioflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1Radioflyer
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:38 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,691 Posts
3s

Quote:
Do you mean a list of what it can do? Or how to do them?

ESC FETs and VR heatsink mod report.

Not to long ago Erkq posted in the sbach thread about adding heatsinks to the FETs and VR on the sbach to make it not cutout on 3S. I figured since my B3D was cutting out on 3S I'd give it a try.

First off this is a VERY INTENSIVE mod with the B3D only because the stupid brick sits so far forward under the wings. It took me about 30 min to do this to my mig and 2+ hours to do the Beast

-Brian

300Kv motor/5030 prop/87/WOT...

Such a beautiful thing!!

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:28 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
300Kv motor/5030 prop/87/WOT...

Such a beautiful thing!!

rc
an Update: I hit OCP cutoff on a fresh fully charged 3s180mAh. I took off pointed it up and let it rip. After almost exactly 1/2 sec it cutoff. I looked in the brick manual and 500ms ( .5 seconds) is the limit on over current protection. Anyways I zeroed the throttle and glided(watched fall) the plane around and it powered up just fine. I flew around for another min then tried the vertical zoom and no problem. So I guess judicious throttle management for the first min is in order. Even so can't stop grinning

-Brian
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:02 PM
Luvin' Life
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
Is the beast brick mounted facing the ground like that? I thought it faced up.

Orientation needs to be the same.

My AS3X SBACH flies magical (my brick faces up)
That was it! I never thought about the orientation. After I toned down the ailerons, tuned the expo and adjusted the CG the little foamy flew flawlessly! I did have the high speed "humping" but it wasn't terrible. Now that I know everything works I'm going to cut a slightly larger model with the brick on the topside, upright as it should be.

Thanks to all for the suggestions to get this foamy flying!
1Radioflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1Radioflyer
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:32 PM
Joined Dec 2010
8,106 Posts
Quote:
This is with a 3000kv and a 5030 prop that pulls more than stock too! Bottom line this fixed my cutout problem. Outside temp is 87*F and humid.

-Brian
I'm using the 2300kv with 5043. It's quiet and really, really fast! It would be interesting to compare, but I don't think my neighbors would appreciate that 3000kv'er screaming on 3S!

It's fast enough that I'm feeling the need for expo when flying flat-out. I never fly with expo, but it becomes very "darty".
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:04 AM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,691 Posts
Quote:
I'm using the 2300kv with 5043. It's quiet and really, really fast! It would be interesting to compare, but I don't think my neighbors would appreciate that 3000kv'er screaming on 3S!

It's fast enough that I'm feeling the need for expo when flying flat-out. I never fly with expo, but it becomes very "darty".
E,

I've never been much of an expo user myself.
After 150+ 3S B3D flights, it was expo time for my 3Sbach.
I would love to find out just how fast she is going!

rc
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:08 AM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,691 Posts
Quote:
an Update: I hit OCP cutoff on a fresh fully charged 3s180mAh. I took off pointed it up and let it rip. After almost exactly 1/2 sec it cutoff. I looked in the brick manual and 500ms ( .5 seconds) is the limit on over current protection. Anyways I zeroed the throttle and glided(watched fall) the plane around and it powered up just fine. I flew around for another min then tried the vertical zoom and no problem. So I guess judicious throttle management for the first min is in order. Even so can't stop grinning

-Brian
No big deal there.
That might change as the outside temp drops as well.

I simply love the way my B3D flies on 11.1V!

rc
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:09 AM
Joined Dec 2010
8,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
E,

I've never been much of an expo user myself.
After 150+ 3S B3D flights, it was expo time for my 3Sbach.
I would love to find out just how fast she is going!

rc
You should try it without the landing gear... sheesh... over 50? Is that possible?