HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:30 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Wow, I was sure that those who already saw it would be mad that I re-posted it! Thanks... It's my only video with added music, but I kind of like it very much too!
Well... I like '69 Chevys. Actually I like '68 Chevys, but close enough. And dogs, I like dogs. And the Beast... that too! Kids? Not so much. (that's a lie)
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:18 PM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,877 Posts
Alright alright.. The two hours to replace the wing last night was well worth it! Flew it at lunch in 15mph wind - flew like it was on rails. Very nice, better than when I first got it (used).
I even did a few backwards flights

Good times. I still miss the Sbach though!
TurboRacer is offline Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Jul 17, 2012, 05:42 PM
Luvin' Life
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboRacer View Post
I'll be done with this airframe and put the electronics in something else. Maybe AS3X Sbach? I dunno.. Something other than the Beast.
My 2cents~
I built a 3mm depron foamy for my AS3X gear from my beast. It flew but the AS3X would crash it every time I flew it. I could fly the plane at very low throttle but it would start this wild pitching up and down until it was out of control. I have built many foamies in the past so I have a really good idea about what I'm doing. My guess is that the AS3X is programmed for the weight and reaction of the Beast, and programmed differently for the Cub, Mig, Glider, ect...
I wish there was a way to disable the AS3X.

Blessing,

Jay
1Radioflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1Radioflyer
Old Jul 17, 2012, 06:02 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Radioflyer View Post
My 2cents~
I built a 3mm depron foamy for my AS3X gear from my beast. It flew but the AS3X would crash it every time I flew it. I could fly the plane at very low throttle but it would start this wild pitching up and down until it was out of control. I have built many foamies in the past so I have a really good idea about what I'm doing. My guess is that the AS3X is programmed for the weight and reaction of the Beast, and programmed differently for the Cub, Mig, Glider, ect...

Blessing,

Jay
Jay,

Your problem was that the gyro gains were too high for the application. There is a video of an F3P ship with the Beast 3D brick on 'Tube. The plane flew with such fluidity & grace - it was a moving experience just to watch. The user-programmable AS6410NBL brick that's used in the MiG & is also available separately will have downloadable programs with gyro gains to cover a wide range of airframes. Just what a scratch-builder or modder needs!

BTW - the Gee Bee and Carbon Cub share the Beast 3D's brick & AS3X settings. Note that the part numbers are identical for all three planes. According to the aircraft development guys, the others use airframe-specific programming.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:03 PM
Luvin' Life
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Maybe I should try building this plane a bit bigger. I have room to grow as mine ,less batt, weighs 1.5 oz and the Beast is 2.1 oz.
1Radioflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1Radioflyer
Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:30 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Quote:
Maybe I should try building this plane a bit bigger. I have room to grow as mine ,less batt, weighs 1.5 oz and the Beast is 2.1 oz.
Weight is one thing, but I would start by reducing the throw (if you can, cannot be sure if you have many holes on your horns). I know this will defeat the fact that you're building a 3D airplane, but who knows, maybe you could still enjoy this very nice model, even with less agressive control surfaces. (maybe one hole or two won't be so bad...)

Is it only the elevator that goes crazy, or all surface controls?

One last thing.... I would also play with different C.G. Since you can add weight (doesn't look like you can move the battery too much), just stick a dime (maybe using that blue gummy stuff temporary), and see if moving the C.G. does improve the situation)
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:43 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Weight is one thing, but I would start by reducing the throw (if you can, cannot be sure if you have many holes on your horns). I know this will defeat the fact that you're building a 3D airplane, but who knows, maybe you could still enjoy this very nice model, even with less agressive control surfaces. (maybe one hole or two won't be so bad...)

Is it only the elevator that goes crazy, or all surface controls?

One last thing.... I would also play with different C.G. Since you can add weight (doesn't look like you can move the battery too much), just stick a dime (maybe using that blue gummy stuff temporary), and see if moving the C.G. does improve the situation)
Also be sure none of the servos are reversed from what the as3x expects. I did that on mine and it was quite exhilarating to say the least!
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:29 PM
United States, OR, Sherwood
Joined Jan 2009
289 Posts
3mm flat foamy with Beast brick

Radioflyer, I also built a 3mm flat foam (extra300-3Dshape) and put the Beast 3D brick in it. It weighs about 2oz flying and the brick handles all of the maneavers pretty well, with one exception, it has the jitters at faster speeds. I think turning up the expo might help calm down the gyros with out giving up the throws. Motor vibration is also a bit much, so I am rebalancing the motor/prop setup. If the weather cooperates, I'll know tomorrow. JJ
JJ460 is offline Find More Posts by JJ460
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:31 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Aug 2011
770 Posts
BTW - the Gee Bee and Carbon Cub share the Beast 3D's brick & AS3X settings. Note that the part numbers are identical for all three planes. According to the aircraft development guys, the others use airframe-specific programming.

Joel

Joel, do you think the coming UM Spit will share these same brick and AS3X settings? If it has to have control surfaces set manually to neutral (by bending control rod u's) like on the B3D, could I bind it to the B3D channel on my DX7? That would sure be nice.

I have several aircraft assigned to a number of the channels so I can get more of them on that wonderful tx!

Tom
shepflyr is offline Find More Posts by shepflyr
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:48 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
My 2cents~

Blessing,

Jay
Is the beast brick mounted facing the ground like that? I thought it faced up.

Orientation needs to be the same.

My AS3X SBACH flies magical (my brick faces up)
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:19 AM
Joined Dec 2010
7,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ460 View Post
I think turning up the expo might help calm down the gyros with out giving up the throws.
If the expo were done on the brick this may work. But the expo is done on the transmitter and the brick and its gyro system are completely oblivious to how it is set.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 04:50 AM
Chicago Northwest subs
Joined Jan 2007
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
Is the beast brick mounted facing the ground like that? I thought it faced up.

Orientation needs to be the same.

My AS3X SBACH flies magical (my brick faces up)
That's exactly what I was thinking when I looked at the photo. It would make sense that the AS3X would be confused if the brick were upside down. Try initializing the AS3X with the plane upside down, and fly it inverted, if you haven't reversed any servos. That would prove the point that it's the brick orientation that is causing your issues.
MR2
minirips2 is offline Find More Posts by minirips2
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:38 AM
Joined Dec 2010
7,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minirips2 View Post
That's exactly what I was thinking when I looked at the photo. It would make sense that the AS3X would be confused if the brick were upside down. Try initializing the AS3X with the plane upside down, and fly it inverted, if you haven't reversed any servos. That would prove the point that it's the brick orientation that is causing your issues.
MR2
As long as the servos go the right way (elevator and rudder if inverted) I would think it would work fine.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:05 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,686 Posts
Quote:
MR2
This wouldn't work, AS3X doesn't care what way it is facing when powered up, only that it is held still.

I don't have a manual handy but have you reversed the elevator in the brick(if this is even possible)? I don't mean on the TX as that would not fix the issue.

AS3X would no longer dampen motion in this configuration it would amplify it!! This would explain the increasing pitch oscillations. The easiest thing to do would be to remount the brick in the correct orientation. This would make AS3X work correctly.
Otherwise, If possible you can check the manual and reverse the elevator using throttle stick programming. full throttle at bind and then count the tones to get to the right section. DO NOT USE TX SERVO REVERSING!!!!! AS3X does NOT support this and will not function correctly.

To verify the servo/surface travel don't check the servo travel directions with the tx. power on the TX, Plug in the pack, and then wait for the plane to initialize. Bump the throttle up then back down to turn on AS3X. Now move the plane in any axis. The surface should move in the direction of travel, i.e. If the tail is moved up the elevator should move up as well. Right wing rolled up, that aileron should move up as well. This dampens that movement. I'm 99% sure that you'll find that as you move the tail up on yours the elevator is going to move down. This would cause exactly what you're describing.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Last edited by kalmon; Jul 18, 2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:08 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,959 Posts
Quote:
MR2
MR2,

Gyros don't know or care which way is up. All of the AS3X-equipped planes & helis can be initialized in any orientation - inverted, sideways, upright, somewhere in between - it doesn't matter at all. The only requirement is that they remain motionless during the process.

However, I'm thinking that mounting the brick inverted would effectively reverse the sensing direction of the pitch & yaw gyros, which would make things rather interesting to say the least! The user-programmable AS6410NBL brick addresses this by allowing the user to change sensor orientation.

EDIT: I see that Brian types faster than I do!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Jul 18, 2012 at 10:15 AM.