HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 19, 2010, 04:35 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowerz View Post
Just had word that it will be available as BNF only. This might put me off a bit.
yea sure, you will get it anyway
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2010, 04:37 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,368 Posts
The DX5e should be okay to fly the beast. I have one controller which is the DX5e and have been flying the sukhoi xp on high rates no expo.It can be done but it would be pretty tricky.

The pilots that fly on the videos are the best of the best. They are paided money for flying! Thats what has been going in the EXtra 300 thread. The wing problem was not the problem said the pros. Well if you give the same pros an extremely tail heavy airplane they can still fly it and look good with it.

I haven't got to do that knife edge trick in the sukhoi xp video yet. Its so hard! Hope the beast will be fly better in knife edge than the sukhoi xp.
Cheese5 is online now Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Aug 19, 2010, 04:37 PM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by modfly View Post
yea sure, you will get it anyway
Oh, you read me like a book! I sure will have to get one anyway, even for a shelf model. It just looks so cool!

Horizon, any chance of a shelf/diecast model of The Beast? I just love the look of this thing. My favourite looking plane for sure along with the Spitfire!
Bowerz is offline Find More Posts by Bowerz
Old Aug 19, 2010, 04:39 PM
Joined Sep 2009
3,769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese5 View Post
The DX5e should be okay to fly the beast. I have one controller which is the DX5e and have been flying the sukhoi xp on high rates no expo.It can be done but it would be pretty tricky.
I highly do not recommend doing this. the beast is even more aerobatic than the Sukhoi XP and more twitcky, Expo will be needed for sure along with dual rates.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 04:40 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,368 Posts
Seem like HH is really excited about the new micro beast. Coming out with videos on the first day of the release!Wonder if it would beat the sukhoi sales? THe sukhoi was on the best seller list for a year or 2.

*Edit* Its not THAT hard flying airplanes without expo. Real pilots do it every time they fly! I have destroyed a sukhoi while training because I overcontrolled it. Sure expo would help, but once you get used to it you wouldn't crash that much! Its pretty simple, just give tiny inputs to the airplane and see what it does! People post so fast that I have a hard time catching up!
Last edited by Cheese5; Aug 19, 2010 at 04:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Aug 19, 2010, 04:42 PM
Up Up and Away!
Joined May 2008
1,933 Posts
wow this thread gets a post a minute
lightspeeddud is offline Find More Posts by lightspeeddud
Old Aug 19, 2010, 04:48 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,368 Posts
I think the beast would be pretty durable for a 3D airplane. The cowl pops out when you crash!

*Edit* I just finished the preview. THe battery charger has an adapter that you can buy!!! So this one is firmly placed on my christmas present list or my b-day list!
Old Aug 19, 2010, 05:03 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfoxflyer66 View Post
Hey I know its not recommended but would it be a hand-full to fly on the DX5e??? I dont have to money to buy both the beast and the dx6i.
sff,

It all comes down to ... how are your skills?

I fly both my Sukhoi and 4-site on max throws no D/R or Expo.

I just love fast and twitchy.

Taught my younger bro to fly the same way.

It's all he knows.

You still have those adjustable control horns to 'tame the Beast' also.

DX5e would be fine if your skills are too.

rc

My LHS pre-order is in.
Bro and I are #1 & #2 on the list!
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCBABBEL; Aug 19, 2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 05:32 PM
Foaming at the mouth..
USA, KS, Topeka
Joined Jul 2008
924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
sff,

It all comes down to ... how are your skills?

I fly both my Sukhoi and 4-site on max throws no D/R or Expo.

I just love fast and twitchy.
I'll second that.. I fly the Champ on max throws and zero expo.. for my lazy day flying, touch & go practice.. all for leisure and fun..

On my XP, and 75mph 20" wing.. max throws, zero expo, fast and twitchy, keeps me sharp and makes it exciting as hell..

Always nice to fly into dusk with the Champ after spending the hours before hammering the XP for all its worth and discovering new things to make it do, and learning what it can't do!

I look forward to the Beast, and taking it to the next step on the small scale, I reckon it will still be slower then my 20" wing, but more exciting from the looks of things.

~Kev
darksiede is offline Find More Posts by darksiede
Old Aug 19, 2010, 05:59 PM
Thanks Dad!
Bellport, NY, USA
Joined Feb 2001
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
Calling LHS now to place my order. Even if it flies like junk the guts will be used in many home made planes in the future.

I really doubt it will fly like junk. Evey new UM plane I have bought since the UM 4-Site has been great. I was flying my new XP last night and could not be any happier at it's improvement over the original.

Tom

Current list of UM's
Dynex 2.4 milled (old 4-site guts, indoor)
Mini-Slick (old Sukhoi guts, indoor)
4-Site (yep another one to replace the one I trashed)
Champ on Floats (for a 3 channel it rocks)
Sukhoi XP (Yes it is new and improved)
Original Citabria (flies great and handed to anyone that wants to try)
T-28 (on order)
Beast (on order)
A UM T-28?? Didi I miss something?
RacerPaul is offline Find More Posts by RacerPaul
Old Aug 19, 2010, 06:03 PM
Foaming at the mouth..
USA, KS, Topeka
Joined Jul 2008
924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerPaul View Post
Yep, there is a UM T-28 coming out soon, full house, with trike landing gear and steerable nose wheel. Undercarriage is removable for belly landings.

On a side note.. I see one of the better mods to be moving the aileron servos on top of the bottom wing. It will conceal them from visibility more, and totally protect them from all but the most catastrophic belly landings when people inevitably remove the LG (or have it break off)

~Kev
darksiede is offline Find More Posts by darksiede
Old Aug 19, 2010, 06:03 PM
Joined Sep 2009
3,769 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1282886 T-28 thread
Old Aug 19, 2010, 06:05 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerPaul View Post
Apparently so.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1282886

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1282882

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2010, 06:15 PM
Bray, UK
Joined Aug 2009
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksiede View Post
On a side note.. I see one of the better mods to be moving the aileron servos on top of the bottom wing. It will conceal them from visibility more, and totally protect them from all but the most catastrophic belly landings when people inevitably remove the LG (or have it break off)
~Kev
Yes, indeed. A real shame that it isn't like that from the start, as it is pretty obvious that a lot of us have to land on grass. Can't think why they didn't do that, or at the very least put painted protectors over them.

But I will still be buying this, without a doubt.
bluefisherking is offline Find More Posts by bluefisherking
Old Aug 19, 2010, 06:17 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksiede View Post
~Kev
Still not sure why someone remove the LG.... You can land anywhere with the landing gear on... But sure enough, as you said, some people like it. And the nicest thing about the new AR6400LBL is the fact that if the prop get stuck while you still have the throttle at more than 50%, the ESC cut-off automatically. I guess that's good news for belly lander.

Still want a PNP...
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler