Old Aug 24, 2010, 04:53 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
yea i hear yea.
Man it sure do look sweet.But i think im going too wait a bit first to get some feed back.
Id like too see one in the bigger park fly-er scale.
Well, for now, it's either that, or this baby:
http://www.hangar-9.com/Products/Def...ProdID=HAN1050

A bit big for a parkflyer and maybe a bit too noisy too with a 100CC motor
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Last edited by RealGambler; Aug 24, 2010 at 04:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2010, 05:31 PM
Registered Drug Free
Joined Jan 2009
2,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by modfly View Post
You get what you pay for in this hobby. If it was cheap...cheap is as cheap does

Well do you..?

I mean the beast is $70 more than the PKZ UM's and $10 less than the PKZ P51 BL

I just can't see it becoming a high volume seller at its current price point.

Mike.
LunaRendezvous is offline Find More Posts by LunaRendezvous
Old Aug 24, 2010, 05:48 PM
Joined Oct 2007
785 Posts
Having seen the initial UK pricing at brentford rc (125) I must admit it's a little steep!

Especially when you compare to a sukhoi XP at 70, or the bigger p51-D BNF for only 9 more at 134!

100-110 would have been a much more reasonable price point.... Now I have to decide whether to wait for the price to drop a bit!
rusty_y2k2 is offline Find More Posts by rusty_y2k2
Old Aug 24, 2010, 06:47 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
I can probably put together 3 Mustangs and 3 Sukhoi while you will try to put together only one Beast. Have you seen how many little carbon rods you have to install on it? And the end result as to be straight and solid.

C'mon guys, I know salary are still low in China, and I know that they are really good at putting little things together really fast, but in my book, there's tons of little work to do on a Beast while a Mustang or a Sukhoi come out of the press with almost nothing to do on it!

Assembly on a Sukhoi: 7 drops of glue (motor, rx,, horns), 10 little piece of scotch tape (aileron, elevator, rudder), and decals to close the fuse. Done. I can put one together in my sleep!

It they would ship kits that people would have to put together from scratch, everybody would jump on the Sukhoi and Mustang because they would say there's almost no assembly required. And most would say the 4-Site or the Beast are a pain in the %$? to put together.

Remember, those airplanes come out of the box and fly with almost no trim. FULLY assembled and ready to fly. My 4-Site has been through about 50 crashes, and most of the parts are still hanging together... If I would have put it together from scratch, first, in would not have been as straight as it was, and two, I would probably have lost a wing after the first crash!

P.S.: I'm in Canada, so yes, I get hit with $ exchange too, and sure enough, my LHS like to take a good cut too.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 07:05 PM
Registered Drug Free
Joined Jan 2009
2,372 Posts
Yes I can see what you are saying RG, and you make valid points. As always it comes down to profit margin, and turnover, as to whether the little Beast is a success for HH, what is certain is it's performance, it sure looks good in the video, and I'm sure those who buy it will love it too.

Mike.
LunaRendezvous is offline Find More Posts by LunaRendezvous
Old Aug 24, 2010, 08:02 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Well, for now, it's either that, or this baby:
http://www.hangar-9.com/Products/Def...ProdID=HAN1050

A bit big for a parkflyer and maybe a bit too noisy too with a 100CC motor
By the time you are ready to fly that will have cost you $3000.

Not that it isn't worth it, but you have to lug it to a field big enough to fly it, you have to get the noise level down to about 96 dB in a lot of places. (My club for instance) You have to spend a half an hour getting ready to fly and if you get in three flights you are doing good!

On the other hand, these big jobs seem to fly in slow motion, giving you plenty of time to think, and you can manage all the maneuvers you see in video if you are good enough.

The Ultra Micro version can be flown almost anywhere and the cost per flight is vanishingly small if you don't break it. It will also do every maneuver in the book, but you better be pretty damned good to do them with a small plane.

I can't even feed elevator corrections in on my Sukhoi on high rates, full aileron rolls. For that matter, I've seen some pretty good fliers forget about elevator corrections altogether. It takes a lot of skill to pull off smooth maneuvers with these little guys.

I'd rather fly every day.

BTW, I've got a quarter scale Dave Patrick Super Cub that I've flown a few times. It's been dormant for about two years. Meanwhile I've flown the wings off my Ultra Micros. Note the Kangke Monocoupe in my avatar. I've had two of those. I'd love to have a UM clipped wing version with brushless. There's a nice one in the Smithsonian that's won an aerobatic championship or two that would be a fantastic model

It's not like I'm making this up. Been there, still am there!

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying
Old Aug 24, 2010, 09:10 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
Don't need to convince me! Most of my birds are ultra-micro. I have 4 spots around my house that are either walking distance, or 5 minutes in car for my UM. I don't mind having all my 1S battery fully charged all the time so I can fly if the wind die suddenly any day of the week, simply because they are so cheap.

Big birds? OK, I'm flying saturday. Thursday evening, start charging my big batteries. Friday evening, charge more batteries. (I don't charge in the field, batteries are cheap in my book!). I always watch my chargers, so I have to stay in the room. Saturday morning, pile 2 or 3 big birds in a car too small for them. Add Tx box, drive for half an hour. And if suddenly it's raining all weekend? Go home and put batteries in storage mode (another few hours of fun) because I may not fly until next week end.

Only reason to own big birds in my book is the fact that you can fly them when it's really windy. No need to look at the flags to fly a Stryker. If your socks are still only by the time you're ready to fly, it's a good day for it. Ultra-Micro? In 20mph wind, you need only one battery to go from San Francisco to New York. Just don't forget to put your phone number on it with the area code if you ever want to get it back....
Old Aug 28, 2010, 04:07 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,362 Posts
Waiting for reviews of the micro beast! The date was pushed back to October. Well I intended it to be my Christmas present so I'm fine with that.

Yeah! 600th post!
Cheese5 is online now Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Sep 23, 2010, 07:13 PM
Fly Freely, Fly Responsibly
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Jan 2010
727 Posts
I dunno....

It maneuver's nice, f'sure.
I'd rather get a larger scale electric - if I was going that route.
Easier to work on, too...

I see lots of potential for broken (or need to be adjusted) parts, after some stick time (exposed servo gears, etc.).

Add to that, the price.

Hell, I can get another PnP T-28D for $20 (US) less than that price, and tweak the bezeebus out of it.

Call me the 'wet towel in the room.'
WhirlyBits is offline Find More Posts by WhirlyBits
Old Oct 08, 2010, 09:48 AM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhirlyBits View Post
I dunno....

It maneuver's nice, f'sure.
I'd rather get a larger scale electric - if I was going that route.
Easier to work on, too...

I see lots of potential for broken (or need to be adjusted) parts, after some stick time (exposed servo gears, etc.).

Add to that, the price.

Hell, I can get another PnP T-28D for $20 (US) less than that price, and tweak the bezeebus out of it.

Call me the 'wet towel in the room.'
I see your points but I have more faith in the model.
I have the micro P-51 with 33 flights and no issues no tweaks.

Your right about the price, you could go larger for less, but that defeats the whole point (micro). I can't fly a parkflyer at the park 2 min from home but I can fly micro.

My wife and I took a day trip through the valley last week and I took the micro 'stang and flew 9 flights at 4 or 5 different locals and backdrops, sweet!! Again some areas too tight for parkflyers. Of course we were blessed with near perfectly calm weather on a cloudless day.

Needless to say I'm more than hooked on micro.

Anybody from HH when can we expect the Beast (Halloween lol) ??
BrentP is offline Find More Posts by BrentP
Old Oct 08, 2010, 03:03 PM
Up Up and Away!
Joined May 2008
1,933 Posts
its been delayed to early november
lightspeeddud is offline Find More Posts by lightspeeddud
Old Oct 08, 2010, 08:15 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentP View Post
I see your points but I have more faith in the model.
I have the micro P-51 with 33 flights and no issues no tweaks.

Your right about the price, you could go larger for less, but that defeats the whole point (micro). I can't fly a parkflyer at the park 2 min from home but I can fly micro.

My wife and I took a day trip through the valley last week and I took the micro 'stang and flew 9 flights at 4 or 5 different locals and backdrops, sweet!! Again some areas too tight for parkflyers. Of course we were blessed with near perfectly calm weather on a cloudless day.

Needless to say I'm more than hooked on micro.

Anybody from HH when can we expect the Beast (Halloween lol) ??

Wonder how large Parkzone's "park" is. Since the parkfliers are pretty large.
Cheese5 is online now Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Dec 22, 2010, 10:39 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightspeeddud View Post
its been delayed to early november
Just for the record I flew mine the first time on Thanksgiving day..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob