HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which would you most like to see a 3-3.5m kit of?
Avia 40p 3 2.94%
Blanik L-13 15 14.71%
Breguet 905 Fauvette 6 5.88%
DFS Reiher DFS Weihe 9 8.82%
DFS Weihe 4 3.92%
Eon Olympia 2b 11 10.78%
Fafnir 9 8.82%
Foka SZD-24 10 9.80%
Glasflugel Libelle 11 10.78%
Grunau Baby 6 5.88%
Jaskolka SZD-8 5 4.90%
Kaiser Ka-8 7 6.86%
Kirby Kite 14 13.73%
Rhoensperber Sperber Junior 13 12.75%
Scheibe B-Spatz 4 3.92%
Scheibe Bergfalke IV 2 1.96%
Scheibe Bergfalke Mu-13 3 2.94%
Scheibe Zugvogel IIIa 5 4.90%
Scheibe Zugvogel IV 1 0.98%
Schleicher ASK-13 9 8.82%
Schleicher ASK -18 7 6.86%
Slingsby King Kite 3 2.94%
Slingsby Petrel 10 9.80%
Slingsby Skylark 2 Merlin 4 3.92%
Slingsby Skylark 3b 2 1.96%
Slingsby T-21 6 5.88%
Slingsby T-32 0 0%
Slingsby T 51 0 0%
Standard Austria 11 10.78%
Steinadler MG-19 2 1.96%
Wassmer WA-22 Javelot 2 1.96%
Wasmer WA-30 Bijave 1 0.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old Aug 26, 2010, 11:07 AM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,500 Posts
DingoII: they have no price list or ordering mechanism !?

Very little "real" info aboout them or the models.

Vint: a Kite starting point.
http://scalesoaring.co.uk/VINTAGE/Bu...mentation.html
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2010, 11:11 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,022 Posts
Wake me up when you get to the Eon Olympia.

Pete (who needs LOTS of time to clear the workbench)
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying
Old Aug 26, 2010, 11:29 AM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,500 Posts
For the Blanik Voters
There are some plans available at , Jaroslav Fara - 3.25 M

http://www.rcrevue.cz/objednejte-si/...lanik%5B175%5D

My money converter says about $17 + shipping

and a short kit at
http://cnc.yarousch.cz/cnc-vyrezy-pl...13-blanik.html
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Last edited by birdofplay; Aug 26, 2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 11:50 AM
Czech Rep.
Joined Aug 2006
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay View Post

Very little "real" info about them or the models.

[/url]
No idea, I just "googled" for "Kirby Kite model". They seem also to produce the large Minimoa that has been discussed here - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=629857 so perhaps the Kite can be get somehow.

Jan
DingoII is offline Find More Posts by DingoII
Old Aug 26, 2010, 12:16 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay View Post

Very little "real" info aboout them or the models.

[/url]
I think they are mainly wholesalers. They make the Luna, a very well-known 2 m sport mouldie. Their 3 m "F3B" mouldie has been around a while too, it's marketed around the world under a whole bunch of names..

Also see this: http://www.scalesoaring.co.uk/Snippe...nimoa/Moa.html
Woodstock 1 is online now Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Last edited by Woodstock 1; Aug 26, 2010 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Found more stuff
Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:23 AM
winds light to variable
Joined Apr 2009
989 Posts
Thanks for this. Not enough classic glider kits in the 3-3.5m range. Perfect size. Gotta go gull-winged. Await outcome with anTicipation.
Kookaburra is offline Find More Posts by Kookaburra
Old Aug 30, 2010, 09:51 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
If someone can provide more details (than the website does) about the Lanyu Kirby Kite, demonstrate that it is commercially available and provide some unemotive feedback about the quality then we should take that under consideration. Unfortunately everything I've turned up on previous RCG threads has failed to meet either of my two latter criteria. I can't find anyone who has bought, or even seen one (in the flesh), and there's no shortage of unsubstantiated and emotive and therefore unhelpful comment.

Whatever we end up with here we're not going to please everyone with their favourite but what we are going to end up with, I'm sure, is a kit that uses very modern design and manufacturing processes, which will not be intimidating for relatively inexperienced builders but will offer scope for the more experienced to make their mark, which won't be a multi-month build project unless you choose to make it so, which won't wrench your arm when you reach for the plastic and which will make an attractive and eyecatching bird on the slope (or the towline).

I keep reading in this forum and elsewhere people bemoaning the death of the wooden kit and to me it seems that what we have here is something that is a response to that, which is (assuming it has a two piece wing) small enough to toss in the vehicle and which doesn't need a major flying field to land. And which, I say again (please note Vintage1!) isn't going to strain your plastic unduly. Talking right out of turn here, because I have no commercial connection with the manufacturer, I imagine that if there was overseas demand (like in the US and OZ particularly) a short kit as an OPTION might make shipping costs easier.

And even if the Kirby Kite doesn't hit slap dab on your spot, buy and build one anyway because the more that are bought the sooner we can start to blow in Vintage1's ear about what the NEXT one on the list might be. And if the rumoured/promised Blanik L-13 and Standard Austria kits haven't turned up by then, well.... you have been warned And hell, who knows, PeteSchug may have cleared his bench by then so we could put the Olympia on the board!
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Aug 30, 2010, 03:03 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lombard View Post
[snip] And hell, who knows, PeteSchug may have cleared his bench by then so we could put the Olympia on the board!
If Vintage designs an Olympia I'll move to a new apartment with an extra room!

I don't remember just when I first saw a picture of the Olympia, but it was probably 45 years ago and it still impresses me as a beautiful design well ahead of its time.

Pete (heading for the park to avoid dealing with clutter just now.)
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying
Old Aug 30, 2010, 05:35 PM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lombard View Post
Whatever we end up with here we're not going to please everyone with their favourite but...

And even if the Kirby Kite doesn't hit slap dab on your spot, buy and build one anyway because the more that are bought the sooner we can start to blow in Vintage1's ear about what the NEXT one on the list might be.
I know exactly what you mean, Roger, but the model choice thing is a difficult situation. One that keeps most manufacturers awake at night, I would imagine. Even if a kit of this nature goes together really well, it still represents a considerable investment in time, effort and money (always not forgetting all the electronics, etc. to kit it out), which means that going for a model that doesn't really blow one away is a big ask..

Sadly a glider with struts just doesn't do it for me, so I myself would have to pass on a Kirby Kite...
Old Aug 31, 2010, 05:11 AM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Understand your view Chris but the final decision isn't made anyway yet. I think a critical factor for Vintage1 is likely to be the quality of supporting documentation, in particular 3-view. That Sperber Junior has snuck into 2nd place and although there is an existing (moulded body) kit I think its ARTF (so not a kit, really) and it's certainly much smaller than our target 3-3.5m wingspan.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 06:06 AM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,897 Posts
Oooh! (In the voice of Homer Simpson): "Sperber Junior....". Yes, the existing kit with glass fuzz (apart from being in limited supply it seems), is a much smaller bird.

I don't want to influence the choice at all of course ...
Old Aug 31, 2010, 08:21 AM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Vintage1 and I have had a brief exchange of thoughts and (largely incentivised by the exciting prospect of driving PeteSchug into compulsory relocation) we're down to Kirby Kite and Olympia. So now its down to quality of data. I remember from the previous thread that one or two people mentioned Martin Simon's book (presumably volume 1).

Rather than continue an open chatter here if anyone can help with info about these two sailplanes and in particular with the 3 views will they please communicate direct with Vintage1 either through PM or RCG email? If Vintage1 needs any more info, or needs to gee up the supply of data, he can come and ask on this thread (or if he wants to close this we'll revert to my previous thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1292787 )

Thank you all for your input - we're getting there!
Old Sep 01, 2010, 12:49 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,688 Posts
yep. I am going to close this now, as it really hasn't changed much in the last few days.

MANY thanks to all who contributed.

It tales enthusiasm from elsewhere to get me motivated
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Closed Thread