HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2010, 06:17 AM
USA, NH, East Merrimack
Joined Feb 2006
53 Posts
Discussion
Where to get GMS / Tower engine parts?

Our club trainer has a Tower .46. It's blown a head gasket and needs a $2 gasket kit. Does anybody know where to find parts?
MECOA has dropped the GMS line (makers of Tower's engines), and Tower Hobbies hasn't had GMS or Tower parts of many months now.
I'm hoping somebody out there has a LHS that has some left over stock for GMS engines. Maybe you guys know a website with some stock?

Thanks,
Dave
dmajchrzak is offline Find More Posts by dmajchrzak
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2010, 11:11 AM
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2006
1,667 Posts
MECOA might still have a few parts around. I would call them and ask. Head gaskets are pretty common.

I have heard that the Chinese are "striking" or whatever and there is no production going on. So all mainland Chinese stuff seems to be drying up.

Chip
Chip01 is offline Find More Posts by Chip01
Old Aug 18, 2010, 06:11 PM
Mountain Home, Ar.
Joined Dec 2009
335 Posts
A head gasket is keeping the engine from running? A head gasket is normally just a thin aluminum washer that sits in the groove in the head that the liner fits into. They are not really head gaskets but more a shim that lowers compression a bit. It would be very difficult to "blow" one. And most engines will run just fine without them anyway. Engines just have a bit more compression without them which may require a little finer tuning.
JollyPopper200 is offline Find More Posts by JollyPopper200
Old Aug 18, 2010, 07:07 PM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,817 Posts
Maybe just put a layer of red RTV silicone around the top, put the head back on and let it cure overnight....
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Aug 18, 2010, 07:49 PM
Airplane Gearhead
Central N.Y.
Joined Jan 2005
1,144 Posts
You could make one out of a piece of soda or beer can?

Or, just try running it w/o the shim/gasket...if it leaks, try lapping the head to the sleeve flange. (that worked quite well on an Enya .50SS of mine)
proptop is offline Find More Posts by proptop
Old Aug 19, 2010, 01:49 AM
Mountain Home, Ar.
Joined Dec 2009
335 Posts
Somewhere in the late 90s I bought a Tower .46 for the price. When I tried to break it in, it would not run very well. It would hardly run at all. I tried all the simple stuff to no avail, so I took the engine apart. I discovered the liner was not in the case correctly, the exhaust port not aligned with the opening in the case. I turned it and it has been a real work horse since. It ran so well, in fact, that when the purple on the head began to fade, I bought a new head. The new head came with two shims/gaskets. As I recall, the instructions said the engine could be run with none, one or both of them. I'm running mine with none. So I still have two new, unused head shims/gaskets. If it will fix your engine, I will send you one with my compliments. If it does not fix your engine, I would like it back. It's a pay it forward thing. Somewhere down the road, someone at your field will need a prop or glo plug or something that will get him in the air and you will have one to loan or give him.
JollyPopper200 is offline Find More Posts by JollyPopper200
Old Sep 06, 2010, 12:29 PM
USA, NH, East Merrimack
Joined Feb 2006
53 Posts
Thanks for the info everyone. Jolly - people like you are why this hobby is so great.
I ended up using JB Weld to seal the head. Hope it works!
dmajchrzak is offline Find More Posts by dmajchrzak
Old Sep 07, 2010, 06:14 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2009
1,402 Posts
must be a USA problem, the rest of teh world seems to have plenty spares of GMS engines. I just rebuilt mine a couple of weeks ago. Gaskets, bearings the lot, all replaced with genuine GMS parts.
TimBle is online now Find More Posts by TimBle
Old Sep 07, 2010, 07:31 AM
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2006
1,667 Posts
I am sure there is a container full of stuff being shipped from China to the US of A. But where that container is in the stack of containers on the container ship, and the progress of the ship have a lot to do with parts availability. Consumption rates in the US of A also has a bearing on parts availability.

But the problem is indeed there and effects both the GMS and Tower Hobbies engines (which are as most know almost identical except for coloring).

Chip
Chip01 is offline Find More Posts by Chip01
Old Feb 19, 2012, 06:54 PM
Victoria BC CANADA
Joined Dec 2003
37 Posts
Parts

Are there any spares anywhere for these GMS motors?. I need at least a ring for a 76 possibly a liner and piston.
Or does any one know if there are other parts for other motors that will fit?
Hate to use it as a fisshing weight as itonly has a few hours on it.
perpetualrepair is offline Find More Posts by perpetualrepair
Old Feb 21, 2012, 07:55 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,148 Posts
Frank Bowman makes piston rings for most anything. He likely already has some.
He makes the best rings by far, even in comparison to many of the engine companies.
Frank Bowman
1211 N Allen Ave
Farmington
NM 87401-3568
USA
Phone: (505) 327-0696
ringmaster46@msn.com

here in the USA GMS was imported by Great Plains (aka Tower Hobbies), they had taken over the GMS line from MECOA. I suspect they killed it off in the USA and aren't importing it anymore. GMS too, may have discontinued production of model engines as their primary business is car parts such as for brake systems. So they may be too busy to make model engines now.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:25 AM
Victoria BC CANADA
Joined Dec 2003
37 Posts
thanks

Thanks for the link earlwb, have a couple of rings on the way, great guy to deal with.
Wonder if we will ever be able to get parts again though,
perpetualrepair is offline Find More Posts by perpetualrepair