HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 01, 2011, 07:25 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Feb 2007
459 Posts
Very useful info in here. I just bought one of these today as my first Heli. I'm addicted to flying. I like the battery idea too. Taking apart a 1000mah, 3S pack to make 3 longer lasting batteries seems like a very smart idea.....now if I could keep from crashing it and in the air more it would be more fun!
LOSIFIEND is offline Find More Posts by LOSIFIEND
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2011, 08:15 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,341 Posts
Posted my new MD500E pics in another thread, in case anyone is interested:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=558

Now I have to think about nav lights for the MD500e...
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Jul 22, 2011, 09:15 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,331 Posts
Well.. after gathering parts and developing a sollution to fix it to the fuselage the fuselage mod for my 120 is complete and flying

135-140g in flying order with a 850mAh battery... getting 9m flight time
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Jul 25, 2011, 06:11 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT_GTI View Post
Well.. after gathering parts and developing a sollution to fix it to the fuselage the fuselage mod for my 120 is complete and flying

135-140g in flying order with a 850mAh battery... getting 9m flight time
Nice looks. Can you post a vid?
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Aug 15, 2011, 08:11 AM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
Hey can anyone tell me if the BLH3101 5 in 1 board the 120SR uses has a spare channel available?

I want to plug something into ch5...
chancesAU is offline Find More Posts by chancesAU
Old Aug 16, 2011, 12:20 AM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chancesAU View Post
Hey can anyone tell me if the BLH3101 5 in 1 board the 120SR uses has a spare channel available?

I want to plug something into ch5...
Ch5 is already in use, it controls the dual rates....
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Aug 16, 2011, 01:31 AM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
Ch5 is already in use, it controls the dual rates....
Bugger... guess ill just skip idea then LOL
Thanks for the reply.
chancesAU is offline Find More Posts by chancesAU
Old Jan 15, 2012, 08:26 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1 Posts
Thanks Ridgewalker for all the mod ideas. With regard to that battery tray, how did you make it? you said Lexan, but how did you mold it to that exact shape?
ninsei is offline Find More Posts by ninsei
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:21 AM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsei View Post
Thanks Ridgewalker for all the mod ideas. With regard to that battery tray, how did you make it? you said Lexan, but how did you mold it to that exact shape?
First it was cut out of some .60 iirc scrap lexan from an rc truck body.
Then i just cut out the shape needed and with some pliers bent up the edges and the back for the screws into the frame.
You could make a cardboard template to use as a guide and to get the fit you want before cutting any plastic.
Also,plastic containers,laundry bottles,shampoo bottles or a soda/pop bottle would be some sources of plastic.
A soda/pop bottle probably would be best.

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old Jan 21, 2012, 06:31 AM
Pants Up, Don't Loot!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,769 Posts
My 1st Mods

Just found this thread - great ideas!

Here's a couple I posted in the main 120 SR thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1265101. I did these basically out of necessity:

Landing Gear
I busted one of the landing gear and couldn't get a replacement right away, so I cobbled together a temp replacement out of thin ply, balsa, CF rod, fiberglass rod, and aluminum tubing. As soon as I could, I went back to stock, but I have an emergency set now

Lighted Fuselage
Once I got the hang of flying this baby, I soon realized that inside flying was too boring. Being winter, it gets dark early, but the night time is usually calm, so night flying was the way to go. I considered different lighting configurations, but then thought, why not light up the whole damn thing I used two ultrabright white LEDs I picked from http://www.allelectronics.com/. The LEDs are wired in parallel with a single 100 ohm resistor. I solder spliced the LED wires directly into the battery lead. It works pretty well, but I may eventually add another LED to light up the tail. Although the red power LED is there, it doesn't help much with orientation other than to tell you the heli is facing away from you.

Next up? Cut a hole in the fuselage bottom and new battery mount. I have a couple of small 2S and 3S batteries that can contribute single cells Of course, I'll have to remount the LEDs, but no biggie.
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Old Jan 21, 2012, 07:08 AM
Georgia
Joined Jun 2002
123 Posts
Quote:
Lighted Fuselage
Once I got the hang of flying this baby, I soon realized that inside flying was too boring. Being winter, it gets dark early, but the night time is usually calm, so night flying was the way to go. I considered different lighting configurations, but then thought, why not light up the whole damn thing I used two ultrabright white LEDs I picked from http://www.allelectronics.com/. The LEDs are wired in parallel with a single 100 ohm resistor. I solder spliced the LED wires directly into the battery lead. It works pretty well, but I may eventually add another LED to light up the tail. Although the red power LED is there, it doesn't help much with orientation other than to tell you the heli is facing away from you.
Thanks for posting this, I've been looking for a solution to the same problem - it's usually too dark when I find the time to fly. Your approach looks great to me!
MisterCalhoun is offline Find More Posts by MisterCalhoun
Old Jan 21, 2012, 08:04 AM
Pants Up, Don't Loot!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCalhoun View Post
Thanks for posting this, I've been looking for a solution to the same problem - it's usually too dark when I find the time to fly. Your approach looks great to me!
And as an added bonus, you can use it as a flashlight
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Old Feb 19, 2012, 04:21 PM
Finland, Uusimaa, Helsinki
Joined Nov 2011
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Well, I just got back from night flying the 120SR with nav lights in the front yard/driveway, and it is sweet! It's very easy to track with those on there.
Thanks for the idea! I ordered these LED's as well and tested without soldering first. I just hooked LED up to a 150mah Lipo and put it inside the canopy. Seems to work pretty well, I don't think it will fall out when flying outside.

Blade SR 120 with LED lights (2 min 49 sec)
vmmattil is offline Find More Posts by vmmattil
Old Feb 26, 2012, 01:08 PM
Champagne Supernova
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jul 2010
2,007 Posts
Is there a new product thread for this model or Discussion thread ? I was hoping to find the most popular thread for this heli., seemed like there would be one with lots more posts ?

Anybody have a good source for lipos for the SR ?
FlyHighSelllow is offline Find More Posts by FlyHighSelllow
Old Feb 26, 2012, 03:27 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHighSelllow View Post
Is there a new product thread for this model or Discussion thread ? I was hoping to find the most popular thread for this heli., seemed like there would be one with lots more posts ?

Anybody have a good source for lipos for the SR ?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1265101
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur