Old Aug 25, 2010, 06:19 PM
Flying Monkey
Lexington, KY
Joined Aug 2010
324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker View Post
Wow!
That is some pretty tiny drilling you have done!
I have not seen such small drill bits before...where do you get such small drill bits?
In the past i have chucked a very thin sewing needle in my dremel with the point going into the chuck and the eye being the end used to drill with.
It worked well on plastic....but some tiny drill bits would work better.

Nice work!

Ridgewalker
I got them from Harbour Freight at about $5-6 bucks for a 2-pack of those cases shown in the photo, the other case has slightly larger bits in it.
heli-yeah is offline Find More Posts by heli-yeah
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2010, 06:20 PM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,377 Posts
I really don't see the point of this piece. I have been using withought it fine. I didn't even know I had one until this thread, and I looked and mine wasn't there from one crash I had. Didn't fly different either way.
jabsten is offline Find More Posts by jabsten
Old Aug 25, 2010, 07:03 PM
Flying Monkey
Lexington, KY
Joined Aug 2010
324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsten View Post
I really don't see the point of this piece. I have been using withought it fine. I didn't even know I had one until this thread, and I looked and mine wasn't there from one crash I had. Didn't fly different either way.
I think it's there to protect the end cap of the tail motor from blowing out like the mSR. It is obviously not necessary, but it seems to add a little passive protection.
heli-yeah is offline Find More Posts by heli-yeah
Old Aug 25, 2010, 07:16 PM
Can't get enough
Joined May 2010
2,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heli-yeah View Post
I think it's there to protect the end cap of the tail motor from blowing out like the mSR. It is obviously not necessary, but it seems to add a little passive protection.
I understand that I guess, but it seem like the tail rotor is so light to begin with, and it really doesn't slip.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 08:02 PM
Joined Sep 2005
54 Posts
Quote:
Save your servo!
The easy fix is to trim the rear left skid where it mounts to the chassis/frame.
You only need to trim just a small slice.....Use a dremel or some other tool that will cut through the tiny steel rod that is inside the skid mount at the chassis/frame.
Did you take the skids out to dremel, or did you just leave everything as-is and dremel? I'm scared I might hit the servo gear if I don't take it out.
midieval10 is offline Find More Posts by midieval10
Old Aug 25, 2010, 08:34 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,948 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by midieval10 View Post
Did you take the skids out to dremel, or did you just leave everything as-is and dremel? I'm scared I might hit the servo gear if I don't take it out.

I would be scared to do this mod with the skid on the heli too! Don't.

Do not do this mod with skids installed on the heli...Remove the skid from the heli to trim.

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is online now Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old Aug 25, 2010, 08:41 PM
Joined Oct 2008
309 Posts
Quote:

Do not do this mod with skids installed on the heli...Remove the skid from the heli to trim.

Ridgewalker
The skid pops right out easily. just sand down the tip a little.
SeaDog-Chief is offline Find More Posts by SeaDog-Chief
Old Aug 25, 2010, 08:49 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,948 Posts
Sanding won't due since there is a small steel pin in there.
You could press the pin down so it pokes out the bottom and sand it ...but then you would have a little steel pin haning under the skid mount...ya might catch your hand on it or something.
I found it best to use a dremel with a cut off wheel.
In a pinch you could use some dikes and just snip off the end...not to much though.

Ridgewalker
Old Aug 25, 2010, 08:58 PM
Joined Oct 2008
309 Posts
Quote:
Sanding won't due since there is a small steel pin in there.
You could press the pin down so it pokes out the bottom and sand it ...but then you would have a little steel pin haning under the skid mount...ya might catch your hand on it or something.
I found it best to use a dremel with a cut off wheel.
In a pinch you could use some dikes and just snip off the end...not to much though.

Ridgewalker
I stand corrected. I forgot that you said there is a metal rod in it.
SeaDog-Chief is offline Find More Posts by SeaDog-Chief
Old Aug 25, 2010, 09:50 PM
Joined Sep 2005
54 Posts
Quote:

Ridgewalker
Thanks! It's hard to sand it down with the metal pin inside. Dremel was the way to go. This is a great thread! Thanks for your contribution.
midieval10 is offline Find More Posts by midieval10
Old Aug 25, 2010, 09:52 PM
Can't get enough
Joined May 2010
2,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by midieval10 View Post
Thanks! It's hard to sand it down with the metal pin inside. Dremel was the way to go. This is a great thread! Thanks for your contribution.
I am going to try plyer/clippers because I don't have a dremel. I did bend to see and it would hit servo if hit with enough force.
Old Sep 05, 2010, 04:46 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,948 Posts
Night blade with top mounted battery

I made a battery holder out of one of those led tea light candles.

Remove all the screws and take the candle appart.
You need to remove the led,you can keep it to use it's yellow and brite when powered from the battery directly...i have some blue leds and i just am using the guts to build a battery holder.
I used two small brass to meke a mount on each side to keep the battery off the head so nothing binds.
The led is ca glued to the end of the blade and i used red enamel wire tapped to the blade to power it.
One side is negitive the other positive.
The mounts slide under the screws for the grips and the led power wire is under the screw so as the screw for the grip is tighteded it makes contact with the wire and the led comes on!
This way of mounting a seperate battery in a holder on the top if the head is good for a rew reasons...it is easy to remove and install when you want to have night blades.....It does not effect the cog at all.
....you can use one blade with an led on it and just use that blade for at night,or have several blades made up like that with different color leds so you can change the color just by useing a different blade.
For day flying just remove the night blade and battery holder .

I had thought about useing an msr battery....but i need to make a holder for those kind of batteries...I'm working on it.

I'll let the pics tell the story...if i forgot something or you are wondering about something.....ask.

Oh yeah....I did manage to crash in the kitchen....right into the microwave.
I thought oh sh** there goes the night blade....nope the blade just pivoted around like normal and the tinny wires were yanked from around the screws...thats because the screws are not supper tight,ther no different than stock the blades still are able to flop around.
So i curled the end of the wire put it back under the grip screw and i was back to flying with my night blade

Ridgewalker
Old Sep 05, 2010, 05:17 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,948 Posts
I made this battery holder up pretty quick...so that is why it is a little rough looking.
The brass i used is from a feeler gauge..lolYup i removed one of the thin brass "feelers" one that was just thick enough for what i needed...0.008'' thick.
The battery and the holder weigh 5.5g and with the weight being right on top of the mainshaft you cant even tell there is any extra weight.
And the COG is not effected at all.
The led and wire on the blade added .02g so the total added weight is only 5.7g.

The msr 120 mah battery weighs 3.6g and the button cell battery weighs 2.7g.

Ridgewalker
Old Sep 14, 2010, 05:31 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,948 Posts
120 sr in a Jet Ranger body.

I have mounted my 120 sr in a Jet Ranger body that is for a Cx2/3 helicopter.
It weighs in at AUW of 136.2g and flys very scale like.
The higher head speed is good!
I am running it on a 1000 mah single cell that i made from splitting up an SR 3S battery pack...Now i have 3 1000 mah batteries for the 120 sr.

Here are a few pics......
Last edited by ridgewalker; Nov 11, 2011 at 12:15 AM.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 05:48 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1 Posts
clarification pls

Thanks for all the detail, your info and pics are actually helpful!

So can you clear something up. It looks like you run the following configurations for battery:
2 x stock batteries in the battery holder (are they wired together for longer run time)? If yes, how? How much time do you typically get additional?

1 x 1000mah split cell battery. How does this differ from the stock battery? If longer run time, how much longer?
dimomark is offline Find More Posts by dimomark
Last edited by dimomark; Sep 25, 2010 at 05:48 PM. Reason: thanks