SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 28, 2003, 04:05 PM
Seattle, Washington
Joined Sep 2002
759 Posts
Carbon Fiber Blades for HB

Hello,
I know that in HeliHobby, they sell fixed pitch CF blades for Hornet, Piccolo, and Hummingbird. Does anyone know if all these blades are identical or are they different? The Hornet CF blades are in stock and but the Piccolo and Hummingbird CF blades aren't. I also noticed that the Hornet blades aree cheaper.

By the way, how do you mount these blades?
Manchild is offline Find More Posts by Manchild
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2003, 05:47 PM
Agra, Oklahoma
Joined Feb 2000
5,390 Posts
Hornet blades are different (unless the HB and pic blades are simply hornet blades re-packaged). The hornet blades need to be modified by drilling out the mount and reinforcing it with CA or mounting them under the head as I and others have done.

With the Hornet blades, you will need a faster motor than the stock HB motor to acheive the proper head speed. But you get a mroe stable and responsive heli with the higher speed.

Steve
Steve McBride is offline Find More Posts by Steve McBride
Old Jun 28, 2003, 08:50 PM
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Jun 2002
1,181 Posts
I used the Hornet blades and put a couple drops of medium CA in the bolt and hit it with kicker..then I slowly reamed it out till the bolt went through again. I then made a light plywood head stiffener and used 4/40 stainless bolts to hold it all together

I went up to a 13 tooth pinion from stock and I`m using the stock motor....it flies great

Mike
mlehman is offline Find More Posts by mlehman
Old Jun 29, 2003, 02:21 AM
Seattle, Washington
Joined Sep 2002
759 Posts
That's what I was afraid of. I guess I'll wait until Helihobby has the HB CF blades back in stock. I don't want to upgrade my pinion...

Thanks for your input.
Old Jun 29, 2003, 10:43 AM
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Jun 2002
1,181 Posts
it`s not hard..I used the pinion gears from a Micro RS4 RC car..the 13t gear comes in the car kit and presses right on..it really makes them fly much better..the carbo blades really take abuse..actually with the higher head speed when using the Hornet blades the HB is more stable in flight..

Mike
mlehman is offline Find More Posts by mlehman
Old Jul 02, 2003, 09:42 PM
Seattle, Washington
Joined Sep 2002
759 Posts
I know it's easy to do but I don't want to change my pinion because I want to use the stock blades inside my house. The Hornet CF blades cause some damage if it hits something so inside the house, I'd use the stock blades.

Anyway, I tried the Hornet CF blades anyway with stock pinion and it didn't have much power. The HB and Piccolo CF blades from HeliHobby is supposed to be identical in shape to the stock blades (undercambered vs. Hornet's flat bottom) so I should be able to keep my pinion and switch between CF and stock blades.
Old Jul 02, 2003, 10:03 PM
Shine On !
Northern Ohio
Joined Feb 2003
1,013 Posts
I'll be heading down that road soon as well. I tried some forward flight today with the stock blades. Even with the head stiffener pitching was outrageous. I pancaked it a few times from more than 30 feet up. It is one tough little bird, I can attest to that !
Are the stock hornet blades fiberglass and not carbon fiber ? They look like a good deal. I think the astro 010 with a 10 tooth pinion should be able to handle the more modest pitch of the Hornet blades. Hmmm...let's see...this 80 dollar heli has cost me 300 bucks so far ! LOL BUT, there is nothing better than sweeping grass clippings off my front sidewalk this evening courtesy of the little HB !
AtomHeartMother is online now Find More Posts by AtomHeartMother